• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Certified Professional Accountant / Chartered Accountant / CMAs in the CAF

ballz

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Good day,

Wondering if anyone here is working in the CAF with their CPA / CA / CMA that I could talk to, or anyone who has or does work at ADM(Fin)CS. I just got off the phone with the career manager and he suggested a certain direction but there are now a few questions I need to find answers to before I try and pull any triggers.

I am specifically wondering about having the experience requirements for a CPA fulfilled while working in the CAF as a Reg Force member.

Cheers

I know a small number of Reg F officers with accounting designations earned while serving.  All are Log Finance background.

Ablity to do so depends (from what I can gather) on the position you're posted to, the boss you have overseeing you, and other subjective things.

Yes, that is exactly what I am wondering about for ADM(Fin)CS.

I can do the CPA education component on my own (currently doing that, its called the CPA PEP). However, for the work experience requirement, I would need to do the following:

THE EXPERIENCE VERIFICATION ROUTE (EVR)
Choose any relevant employment position that provides experience in at least one competency area at Level 1.
Have your position assessed and approved by CPA Atlantic School of Business.
Find a mentor of your choosing. They may be anyone who is a CPA in good standing within Canada and Bermuda. Note you must have a mentor before beginning to track your practical experience term.
With the consent of your employer and the appropriate supervision, you may begin tracking your practical experience.
Participate in mandatory assessments 12-months and 30-months into your term to determine your progress. Should your chosen employment be deemed "high-risk" you may also be asked to participate in an assessment 3-months into your practical experience term. You will also receive an Admission check at 18-months to ensure you have registered for CPA PEP.

The career manager told me they are subsidizing people's Master's in Accounting in order to get them posted into ADM(Fin)CS on a 3-year posting. The CPA PEP and a MAcc are essentially the same thing. They both set you up to do the experience requirement of 30 months under a "mentor."

Basically, I am trying to find out if the people at ADM(Fin)CS or any other spots are allowing their CPA / CA / CMAs etc to be Mentors for people so they can have their 30-month experience requirement verified. To me, if they are paying for people to do their MAcc, it only seems logical that they would be doing this given that it costs them no time/money and gets their MAcc student their CPA.

If the CM has given you a potential posting location, find the current supervisor there and ask your questions - they should have the truth on the ground.

dapaterson said:
find the current supervisor there and ask your questions

Well that would be even better. How would I do that? I am unsure if its kosher to just call up a random Major (I assume my supervisor would be a Major) to start barraging him with questions, and I wouldn't even know how to find out who to call?

To clarify, the CM didn't say it was a potential posting. He asked why I was VRing and what I was intending on pursuing. When I said I wanted to finish a CPA, he asked if I would be interested in doing it within the CAF. He said ADM(Fin)CS is turning down projects and would not say no to someone wanting to be posted in there to do this kind of work. However, if I can't get my CPA through them because they won't sponsor my work experience / there is no CPA there to be a mentor / whatever, then I am probably going to stick with the VR.

The Fin Officers I know who have sought out a designation have gone the CMA route, and were able to obtain the required work experience at their normal postings. My understanding is that the CPA route is more demanding and there are only certain CAF positions that whose work experience would qualify. A sponsored post grad position to obtain a CPA would likely be aligned with one of these positions.

Seen.  Sounds like (probably) D Cost S (they are supposed to be growing).

PM me and I'll ping a few folks I know there.

Back