• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Centurion Twin Forty, HQ Sqn RCD, 1971.

GINge!

Reaction score
This model depicts the Centurion Air Defence version used for integral AD by the RCD's while they were in Germany as part of 4 CMBG. Each Armd Regt was equipped with one Sqn of AD with 16 gun systems in a Sqn. Purchased in conjuction with the Centurion MBT, the "Twin Forty" also went through many significant upgrades over its lengthy service. The one I've modeled here is the final service version wih a fully armoured and enclosed turret, APU, air conditioning, thermal sight, and search radar. Although never deployed in combat, the Centurion Twin Forty served until 1979 when the MBT fleet was replaced by the Leopard. Track based AD would not re-enter the CF again until 1986 with the ADATS.

7032958773_21d67302f6_b.jpg

6886863512_2dc2d63b18_b.jpg

7032959005_e456327c2c_b.jpg

Don't know where you got your info, but I drove\ gunned\ loaded Centurion from '72 to '75 with A Sqn RCD and there was no such beast with the RCD. Nor have I ever seen or heard of one before or after those dates.

We had 32 105mm gun tanks. 16 per A and B Sqn. That was it, not even spares.

Your call signs are also the wrong style and Sqn. C\S 3 is typically C Sqn, which was Brigade Recce in Lynx.

If this beast did exist and was for air defence wouldn't it fall under RCA vice RCD?

WWII saw the RCD have SPGs in their Support Troop.  Those were not RCA or RCHA, but RCD.  Would be nice if our Defence Budget did allow us such luxuries today.

Yep, it's a 1 April gag  :)

@ George - I got the idea of making it RCAC vice RCA from WW2 where Tk Regt's had armoured AD such as Staghound AA and Crusader III AA. I'm not sure when the Armoured corps handed over AD fully to the Artillery...perhaps around the same time that SP A-Tk guns left the Artillery for the Armoured? The idea almost came full circle in real life if the LdSH(RC) had got the MMEV as planned.

@ Recceguy - thanks for the C/S info. Correct me if I am wrong, but I though "31" meant it was the 1st vehicle in the 3rd Troop, and that the Sqn identifier was the geometric shape the C/S was placed in (ie circle, diamond, square, triangle, or in this case, rectangle)? So that in a Tk regt, there could be 3 tanks, all with the CS 31, but belonging to A, B, C sqns?

Or was it A, B, C, D.. like 3 was the Sqn, 1 was the troop, and A, B, C, D denoted the specific vehicle?

GINge! said:
@ Recceguy - thanks for the C/S info. Correct me if I am wrong, but I though "31" meant it was the 1st vehicle in the 3rd Troop, and that the Sqn identifier was the geometric shape the C/S was placed in (ie circle, diamond, square, triangle, or in this case, rectangle)? So that in a Tk regt, there could be 3 tanks, all with the CS 31, but belonging to A, B, C sqns?

Or was it A, B, C, D.. like 3 was the Sqn, 1 was the troop, and A, B, C, D denoted the specific vehicle?

A Sqn C/S's all start with 1
1 Troop A Sqn would have C/S 11 (Troop Ldr), 11A (Troop WO), 11B (Troop Sgt), and 11C.

31 would be Troop Ldr in 1 Troop, C Sqn.

Got it, thanks.

I think I was confusing WW2 with more modern practices.

Back