• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cenotaph/Memorial Vandalism/Solutions-Laws (merged)

George Wallace said:
Interestingly enough is quite right.  It is truely interesting how much their attitudes change once they have left the province for vacation or work.  Even more interesting is after some have paid a visit to France and faced discrimination there.

Quite true. I spent a month in France this year and was struck by much better english speaking Canadians were treated than french speaking Canadians.

ModlrMike said:
Quite true. I spent a month in France this year and was struck by much better english speaking Canadians were treated than french speaking Canadians.

I think that rings true in Florida also.  ;D

Let's face it.  A few "Racist" fanatics have managed to gain positions of influence and are souring the whole nation's views of their province.  Each of these 'stupid' acts they take alienates many within their own province, but furthers their alienation by the ROC.  They are creating a society that feels downtrodden, and has developed a 'sense of entitlement'.  They feel that they are the underdogs and that their time has come to be the 'Oppressor' rather than the 'peon'.

I know that on my two trips to Cuba,  (a place very popular with Quebec tourists), the locals often mentioned to me that they did not appreciate a lot of the attitudes the Quebecers brought with them.   I frequently heard complaints that there was no signage in French, and that the staff did not speak French,  and that just like back home, everything is in English.  (they neglected apparently the spanish everywhere).

I've noted that generally that as a culture, Quebecers are very communal, and they do tend to stick together and propogate a sort of morality and values that must be applied against all or else mass shunning commences.  In Cuba, the folks from quebec were always the loudest, and even if they didn't know one another before stepping on the plane, they all supported one anothers actions much more than the other guests who tended to stay in the loose groups they came with.

I should state that Im a fluently bilingual quebecer, and I sympathize with trying to protect Quebec culture. It certainly is distinct, at least from what I experienced growing up in Ottawa/Ontario.  But oppressing it on others, or retaliating by marking up honours to our veterans I do not agree with.

Cenotaphs have been vandalized in other provinces.
Wether by graffiti or some other anti establishment slogan, the attack on the cenotaph is what I consider key.
The FLQ comment is bessides the point... dumb / ignorant students who didn't have any other catchy quip that can raise everyone's attention in one swipe of the paint brush

geo said:
Cenotaphs have been vandalized in other provinces.
Wether by graffiti or some other anti establishment slogan, the attack on the cenotaph is what I consider key.
The FLQ comment is bessides the point... dumb / ignorant students who didn't have any other catchy quip that can raise everyone's attention in one swipe of the paint brush

That would be a great excuse for an antisemite spray painting swastikas on synagogues or Jewish schools - "I am just dumb and ignorant, just trying to get some attention with a swipe of a brush"!
You give them too much leeway I think. Sure the FLQ is dead, but the hate isn't.

Just wondering if there were any updates to the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier?

Also when would this be opened up to Tri-Service?

Nope, nothing heard around here...... but the Ceremonial Guard does post people at the National War Memorial / Tomb of the unknown soldier between Victoria day & Labour day...

Port Alberni war grave markers destroyed
Updated: Tue Apr. 14 2009 16:35:49

ctvbc.ca

Vandals have kicked to pieces 20 grave markers belonging to war dead and veterans at a Port Alberni, B.C., cemetery. The violence has devastated local veterans and their families.

Margaret Groeneveld, a service officer at the Royal Canadian Legion, said her father is buried in the cemetery. Although his gravesite was undamaged, she became emotional as she described the impact the broken crosses would have.

"I think it's terrible for the legion members. It's a horrendous thing to do, to have their place of rest defaced in this way," she said. "The vets defended our freedom and rights all over the world and it's on a day where another died in Afghanistan."

The Field of Honour section of the Greenwood Cemetery is the final resting place for approximately 500 soldiers who had fought in the First and Second World Wars, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The section is marked by a cenotaph, with each grave marked by a melamine cross and a name plate of the deceased veteran.

The markers were discovered destroyed on Monday, reducing some visiting veterans to tears as they surveyed the damage.

Groeneveld believes the attack was the work of young people "with nothing better to do and no respect," who go into the cemetery at night to drink and loiter.

"I just don't know what kind of enjoyment they get out of it," she said.

The Field of Honour was established as a place for veterans of armed conflicts from the Alberni Valley to be honoured and buried.

Sgt. Lee Omilusik of the Port Alberni RCMP said the damaged crosses were beyond repair. There was no damage to any other part of the cemetery, he said.

He called the attack "ludicrous."

"It's detrimental to what we do every year on Remembrance Day. The members who took the call were pretty upset that someone would do this," he said.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090414/BC_veteran_grave_vandalized_090414/20090414?hub=BritishColumbia

I would suggest fitting punishments to be a few hundred hours community service tending the cemetery, and having to take a course in Canadian Military History at a local community college. Assignments could include researching the service of those soldiers whose stones were destroyed. Probation to be extended until the course is passed at own expense.

I would like to see the police and prosecutors handle this as a hate crime.

mariomike said:
I would like to see the police and prosecutors handle this as a hate crime.

It would first have to be established that is qualifies as a hate crime.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/hatecrimes/

What is a hate crime?
CBC News Online | June 2004

The Criminal Code of Canada says a hate crime is committed to intimidate, harm or terrify not only a person, but an entire group of people to which the victim belongs. The victims are targeted for who they are, not because of anything they have done.

Hate crimes involve intimidation, harassment, physical force or threat of physical force against a person, a family or a property.

Sections 318 and 319 of the Criminal Code of Canada address hate crimes.

Under Section 318, it is a criminal act to "advocate or promote genocide" - to call for, support, encourage or argue for the killing of members of a group based on colour, race, religion or ethnic origin. As of April 29, 2004, when Bill C-250, put forward by NDP MP Svend Robinson, was given royal assent, "sexual orientation" was added to that list.

Section 319 deals with publicly stirring up or inciting hatred against an identifiable group based on colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. It is illegal to communicate hatred in a public place by telephone, broadcast or through other audio or visual means. The same section protects people from being charged with a hate crime if their statements are truthful or the expression of a religious opinion.

The law (subparagraph 718.2(a)(i), to be specific) encourages judges to consider in sentencing whether the crime was motivated by hate of: the victim's race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation or any other similar factor.

More at link.

I read about this on friday. Just disgusting,

The punishment mentioned above sounds completely fitting. I like the idea of creative justice like that. I grew up in an area with a large native community, and they practiced what they called restorative justice. I think for crimes like this, it's a good model to follow. Definitely more effective than fines and confinement.

I hope the gravesites can be accurately restored.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/11/09/nb-cenotaph-vandalism-207.html
posted with usual caveats

a darned shame

It sure is.
I know NB usually has religion as a large part of any remembrance ceremony.Let's hope these people are found and charged for disrupting a religious ceremony among other things.

However they won't.And if the did get caught they would get bugger all.

I'll replace profane words with the letter X in my post.

I X'n wish I could X'n get my X'n hands on the X'n X'n X'n X X Xers who did this.

There.  I feel kinda better.

X'n cowards.

c_canuk said:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/11/09/nb-cenotaph-vandalism-207.html
posted with usual caveats

a darned shame

Well I certainly hope (if they are ever identified)  they resist arrest.

It is just beyond belief that there are people out there that would commit such a sacrilege.

I wish I still lived in that fine city. I would hang them my self.Disgrace. :threat: