• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cell phones at work or in school.

geo said:
Often, the Cells are the only reliable means of communication when in the field.

Been there with those crappy Motorolas we used to use.  ::)  Ever stand on top of the vehicle to get better reception?  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Been there with those crappy Motorolas we used to use.   ::)   Ever stand on top of the vehicle to get better reception?   ;D
Jump in a Carryall & drive down the road - looking for a signal  :blotto:

Dirt Digger said:
But seriously, when I was in junior high, the school had one pay phone.  In senior high it went up to three.  If someone needed to get a hold of you, they called the main office and if it was an emergency, they brought the message to the classroom.  The system worked worked for the last fifty years before cell phones were even invented.
It's been said already...if it's important they'll leave a message.
Thought I would weigh in on this.
Our school has a zero cell phone policy, but of course it is a constant battle with the students. Unfortunately we have to resort to threats to get the kids to comply. I tell my students all the time that I have a cell phone, but it's not on me. Then I get the whole "emergency" baloney; I usually quote the above mentioned procedure. Unfortunately, the some parents are as much to blame as the kids. They call their kids during school hours and are just as insistent that the kids need to have their phones on and with them at all times. Give me a break!  :mad:
The thing that I find is becoming a huge problem is texting. I had a Gr.12 class this past semester and they were constantly texting in class. It is something that can be done silently and you need to be moving around to see what they're up to. I had to threaten to chuck a few phones out the window to get them to stop (I wouldn't really have done it...I could just imagine the blow up that would cause).
As for the specific situation, teachers need to pick their battles as well. Would I yell at someone from a distance over a cell? Probably not. I'd take them time to go over and ask them to put it away. I think it is a big problem, but not one to get bent out of shape over. Also, I think that we must lead by example. I have colleagues that have their phones with them, and even remember speaking to another teacher at our sister high school that uses hers in class. Bulls$%t as far as I am concerned! There is no way we can expect the students to follow the rules if we are rubbing their noses in it.
My educator $0.02 worth.

From my perspective, Bell & Telus starting to charge for text messages would be a good thing in this case...

ex-Sup said:
Thought I would weigh in on this.
Our school has a zero cell phone policy, but of course it is a constant battle with the students. Unfortunately we have to resort to threats to get the kids to comply. I tell my students all the time that I have a cell phone, but it's not on me. Then I get the whole "emergency" baloney; I usually quote the above mentioned procedure. Unfortunately, the some parents are as much to blame as the kids. They call their kids during school hours and are just as insistent that the kids need to have their phones on and with them at all times. Give me a break!  :mad:
The thing that I find is becoming a huge problem is texting. I had a Gr.12 class this past semester and they were constantly texting in class. It is something that can be done silently and you need to be moving around to see what they're up to. I had to threaten to chuck a few phones out the window to get them to stop (I wouldn't really have done it...I could just imagine the blow up that would cause).
As for the specific situation, teachers need to pick their battles as well. Would I yell at someone from a distance over a cell? Probably not. I'd take them time to go over and ask them to put it away. I think it is a big problem, but not one to get bent out of shape over. Also, I think that we must lead by example. I have colleagues that have their phones with them, and even remember speaking to another teacher at our sister high school that uses hers in class. Bulls$%t as far as I am concerned! There is no way we can expect the students to follow the rules if we are rubbing their noses in it.
My educator $0.02 worth.

You could look at getting your school to by a cell phone jammer.

NL_engineer said:
As far as I  know, jammers are still illegal in Canada.

garb811 said:
As far as I  know, jammers are still illegal in Canada.

You would know more then I would.  I have been to a couple different places that conveniently (not single problems) have no cell single.

NL_engineer said:
Sounds interesting, but then again everyone would be blocked out and we do use cells for admin purposes ie. when they are out around the school yard, etc.

Also, we work for the gov't...there's no $$$ for stuff like that (we can't even afford new texts).  :(

I'm a Search and Rescue Loadmaster and all pers qualified to hold SAR at my Sqn have a personal standby duty cell phone.  They are the only link to activate SAR duty crews after normal working hours.  They are the "norm" at most SAR Sqn's these days. This is also our our way of keeping in touch with our pers and you are encouraged to carry your phone even while off duty in case you need to be activated. Remember........military 24/7. Yes, even the airforce does it! Ha Ha!
I realise that there are certain places that are EMSEC, but if we're on standby the phone is on and a lot of of us have the most annoying ringtone so we can hear it above noise, etc.
My SAR Sqn don't have EMSEC zone/area.  Usually we're trying to educate the public about us, not doing the covert thing.
Just my 2 cents...............for what it's worth.

hey ex-sup you teaching in tbay??

id loose my mind with people using theyr cellphones in class :threat:

pte.wolowidnyk said:

id loose my mind with people using theyr cellphones in class :threat:

or use MSN speak on a forum where guidelines specifically tell you not to....

GAP said:
or use MSN speak on a forum where guidelines specifically tell you not to....

Not sure if that's MSN speak or just bad spelling...... ???

pte.wolowidnyk said:
10 years now...history and chair of social sciences.  Never a dull moment with teenagers! ::)

I keep my on me just in case I am off doing admin or other jobs and we get an unexpected flight or SAR change work can get a hold of me. That is about the only reason I even carry a cell phone at work.

As for carrying one while I was in school. HAHA. Yeah right.

The example is 11 years old, but my buddy was heading for a night out one weekend and left his cell in the shacks . We returned early to change from paintball into bar clothes, when he checked his cell. There was a message on it with a Ship's Recall notice on it, he had time to tell me before heading out and made it before the ship slipped. In all fairness, they were not the ready duty ship, but the way that weekend turned out, the circumstances showed the value of checking your phone every few hours, if not having it on you at all times.

The only time that I had actively answered cell phone calls during class or meetings were when I was the Duty O. I always answered my phone, and it got me in to hot waters with the better half. The profs understood and so did people I were meeting with. That's the only time. All other time personal cell remained in the silent position.

kratz said:
In all fairness, they were not the ready duty ship, but the way that weekend turned out, the circumstances showed the value of checking your phone every few hours, if not having it on you at all times.

If i am not on Duty and not on standby i dont answer my phone when i see the work number. I often dont take my phone with me ( I'm forgetful) when not on standby. If i miss a recall or something to that effect and dont get to it in time, thats just TFB. I get very little time for myself these days, i'm not going to start worrying about checking my phone every few hours just in case something might happen that i'm not required to react to in the first place. people have to learn to leave work behind when apropriate.

kratz said:
The example is 11 years old, but my buddy was heading for a night out one weekend and left his cell in the shacks . We returned early to change from paintball into bar clothes, when he checked his cell. There was a message on it with a Ship's Recall notice on it, he had time to tell me before heading out and made it before the ship slipped. In all fairness, they were not the ready duty ship, but the way that weekend turned out, the circumstances showed the value of checking your phone every few hours, if not having it on you at all times.
Lesson #1 - When not on duty or a member of the RDS (Ready Duty Ship), do NOT answer the phone when it's a work number. 

I doubt any administrative action would have been taken against the sailor had he just gone out and had fun.

Lesson #2 - What voicemail?

Stupid question, but as members of the regs, are you guys EXPECTED to have some kind of cell phone/blackberry? I just finished my contract, tossed my phone etc and don't feel like getting another one. For instance, if you went on leave somewhere far away, are they requiring you to have a means of contact?

I'm assuming not by the last couple posts, but just checking what I've gotten myself into.  ;)

popnfresh said:
Stupid question, but as members of the regs, are you guys EXPECTED to have some kind of cell phone/blackberry?

No

Back