• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cell phone family plans across canada

Of course, you will have to unlock your iPhone though if it has been upgraded to 3.1.3 you're out of luck.

That being said.  They are looking at June (rumour mill) for the release of the iPhone 4G after the whole fiasco with the lost/recovered phone and Gizmodo. You might want to wait until then.

Bzzliteyr said:
Of course, you will have to unlock your iPhone though if it has been upgraded to 3.1.3 you're out of luck.

Why is it that I would have to unlock my phone?  I have updated my phone with the most current firmware, I don't understand why that is a problem?

He means SIM unlock: Phones sold by a carrier tend to be "locked" to that carrier - putting in a SIM card from another carrier won't work. You need to get it unlocked so that you can use other carriers. SIM unlocking tends to cost about $20.

iPhone OS 3.1.3 kills SIM unlocks. I hope you can downgrade to 3.1.2, else you're going to need a new phone in Canada.

Well that is not what I wanted to hear.  I think I will keep my phone as an iPod while in school and get a pay as you go phone, because I don't expect having too much time to talk on the phone.  Then why I graduate and recieve my first posting I will then re address this problem. 

Thank you for all the help. 

Macknight - it is easily done with software once you get to town.  jailbreak, then downgrade the baseband then unlock.  I am in the process of doing it right now.

I don't want to jailbreak it because if something goes wrong Apple will not fix it.  Atleast they won't here in the U.S. will they in Canada?  Then I will be forced to buy a new phone any how.

I was under the impression that resetting to defaults after a jailbreak removed all evidence that it had been done...

Occam, you are correct.  If you are looking to get any work done on a jailbroken phone, simply "restore" it to factory default (after doing a backup) and send it in.  You'll be safe.

As for unlocking, it seems that once jailbroken (even to 3.1.3) you can use a program called "fuzzyband" to rollback to be able to unlock.  I tried it and it crashed my phone causing me to have to restore and re-jailbreak yesterday.  I have not tried it again as for right now, I have no need to but it may very well be something that can be done.

Guy Incognito said:
Rogers and Fido are OK in terms of coverage, but I've heard nightmares about getting customer service out of them. They have a 2G network to fall-back on.

I was with Fido for 4 years and had nothing but the best customer service from them, even when they made a mistake with my bills they would give my account a credit just for my troubles of calling in to correct it, and if I remember correctly they used to send "Fido buck" for everything (I even remember 2 years ago when they were voted "No. 1 for Customer Service" (maybe just in Toronto?), they sent us all vouchers for extra Fido bucks)..

The only reason I switched to Rogers (even though it's the same company) was because of the free Blackberry they were offering me..

I was hoping to read more about which networks had poor coverage in whichever bases.

A few people started that way, but then the ubiquitous iCrap made it's presence, and dominated the rest of the thread.

Just a point of clarification.  Someone equated JB'ing with Unlocking.  It was a post from early 2009, but just in case anybody is confused, that is incorrect.  Think of JailBreaking (JB'ing) as modding your XBOX.  All you're doing is modifying the software to do things it wasn't intended to do stock.  The sim lock however is untouched by simply JB'ing the iCrap.

You can unlock FOR FREE any iPhone <3.1.3 (and those which you've upgraded using proper steps).  To the person asking what they'd need to do., I am getting the impression you bought it from the US?  If that's the case, yes, you would need to unlock it to work on any Canadian Network.

Another point of note:  As of nearly 2 years ago the max ECF for Rogers & Fido has jumped to $400.  Only older plans Pre '2007'ish' were grand-fathered with $200 ECF caps.  If you have a data plan it's still gonna be an extra $100 max Data ECF (DECF).

If anybody has any questions about ins and outs, and/or has problems with ANY of the providers, drop me a line.  I'm always keen to help out associates, ESPECIALLY military.

I think as stated earlier, Definately in the major cities all the providers have decent enough coverage.  Look for windmobile for excellent no-term COMPREHENSIVE all-you-can-eat style plans, only catch, is limited to major cities for now.  Time will expand that.

I just wanted to close off by saying that it is somewhat naive to say Company X or Company Y has poor service.  The truth (Knowing personally & well as speaking to many people who've worked for several to all of the providers) is that they are all the same.  The trick is knowing how to approach any problems if you have any.  Knowledge is power.  Knowing how to work the company to your benefit is what it boils down to.  Currently the only fact that cannot be denied is that Telus and Bell have THEE WORST ECF policies of them all.  Otherwise, because of the recent network technology overhaul to 3G, they are all on the same level playing field.  They can all support the same batches of 3G devices., it all just depends who can get you the best coverage for your respective area and at what price.

Happy Texting!!

If anybody wants to start a BB group chat, or CNECTD (or similar) iPhone group chat, drop me a line.

Oh, forgot., Rogers allows tethering on 1Gb+ data plans gratis (I think.  I have the 6Gb and know we got it for sure., I am 99% sure the cut off was 1Gb plans +).  Someone was asking not sure what exactly the status was.

justmyalias said:
I just wanted to close off by saying that it is somewhat naive to say Company X or Company Y has poor service.  The truth (Knowing personally & well as speaking to many people who've worked for several to all of the providers) is that they are all the same.

Easy there sparky..... Sometime Company X is better that Y.... prime example is Newfoundland.... Rogers only covers up to Clarenville (and the reception sucks even in St. John's) while Bell(Aliant)/Telus cover the entire island .....

NFLD Sapper said:
... Sometime Company X is better that Y...
Well, naturally I was referring to scenarios where there was an even playing field.  When they all have the same level of coverage, all are offering 3G/broadband internet speeds...in those cases, they are the same company.

When there's clearly a network absence, then obviously one network will be the obvious choice, I'm with you on that no doubt.  Wainwright for example.  What a fun time it was out there trying to get reception LOL...and that was only in Feb/March (I'm with Rogers).

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm newly posted to Petawawa and am wondering about what the best cell provider is for the area (in terms of reception, customer service, etc.)? I've heard, so far, that I should be choosing between Rogers and Bell, and am curious what people from the area think. Thanks in advance  :)

The only problems I've had is with Rodgers. Awful company I was less than a #to them.  Telus 5 years and no complaints unless getting called telling me their increasing my minutes for being loyal.  I have unlimited everything as of now $42 a month.  100 mins with Rodgers 80$. Not really a choice for me

Resurrecting an old thread:

I'm posted to Comox from overseas but will be spending a fair chunk of time in Greenwood and probably a few other places in between.  Last time I was in BC in 2011, Rogers coverage wasn't that great up-island (north of Nanaimo) but at the time they had a deal where 5 Rogers numbers (of which my parents are both customers) were free. 

Are Bell or Telus still the better providers out west for coverage, and what is better out east now?  I don't think the smaller providers (Wind, Koodo, etc) will work since I have a feeling I won't be around big cities most of the time.

Koodo is owned by telus and worked just fine for me on the east and west coast, when I visited. I used to be with WIND, but their coverage was only good within large city centers.

I just migrated my bell account to a CF corporate account. 

Unlimited Canada calling anytime
Unlimited text, video and picture messaging
Voicemail, call display, 3 way
3gb shareable data
$60/month

Normal price is $90

Spring_bok said:
I just migrated my bell account to a CF corporate account. 

Unlimited Canada calling anytime
Unlimited text, video and picture messaging
Voicemail, call display, 3 way
3gb shareable data
$60/month

Normal price is $90

Wow.  That's pretty good for Canadian rates.  Is that specific to an area or throughout the country (ie. if I ask in Comox, will they look at me like I have three heads)?

Back