• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cdn Airborne Arty in Afghanistan (from: Airborne Engineers)

Hax24

Inactive
Reaction score
One of my friends has a cousin who is a Seargent in artillery, not sure which unit, though. He has airborne training and is in a makeshift unit with a few other airborne-trained artillerymen, and they have parachuted numerous times on tour in Afghanistan with pieces of artillery for quick deployment.

Hax24 said:
One of my friends has a cousin who is a Seargent in artillery, not sure which unit, though. He has airborne training and is in a makeshift unit with a few other airborne-trained artillerymen, and they have parachuted numerous times on tour in Afghanistan with pieces of artillery for quick deployment.

:pop:

Hax24 said:

Oh my... ummm... well.... Ive got nothing.

Hax24 said:

*Sigh* Someone has to say it, so I will:

Bull.

Either your friend is lying, or he has been lied to. That's so far form any conceivable truth that I cannot imagine it being a simple misunderstanding of something that is factual. Sorry dude.

Sorry I'm applying to reserves, I'm not in the army yet so I don't know how everything works. Is it not possible that artillerymen can parachute with equipment?

Hax24 said:
Sorry I'm applying to reserves, I'm not in the army yet so I don't know how everything works. Is it not possible that artillerymen can parachute with equipment?

Oh no, there absolutely are jump capable artillery units in the world, with suitably light equipment that could be airdropped. But there sure as hell have not been Canadian artillery parachuting into remote locations in Afghanistan. There's haven't been canadian *anyone* parachuting in Afghanistan, with the possible exception of special operations forces that you or I would never be privy to the details of. But even there, I highly suspect not.

Don't worry, nobody's faulting you for not knowing. Someone people just like to tell stories that are inaccurate at best or complete fabrications at worst. I've never been able to figure that out.

Hax24 said:
Is it not possible that artillerymen can parachute with equipment?
Perhaps Brihard was unclear.

Artillerymen have parachuted, marrying-up with their artillery pieces and their ammo, and providing fire support. Sometimes, in sunny places like Dien Bien Phu, they got more ammunition dropped to them so they could carry on in their fun & games.

So yes, it's more than "possible."  Clear so far?

Now, did we have "a makeshift unit" (with or without "a few other airborne-trained artillerymen"?  NO

Did any Canadians parachute in Afghanistan ("numerous times" or otherwise)?  NO

Nod if you understand that if there was no "makeshift unit of airborne-trained artillerymen," and no parachute ops in Afghanistan, then that pretty much negates whether or not there were "pieces of artillery for quick deployment," right?

To sum up, what Brihard meant to say is, your friend and/or his cousin are two-faced lying bull-shitters.

Is that clear enough?  [Here you nod again  :nod: ]

Edit: his response was quicker because:  a) he's polite, and  b) he didn't use colours.  ;)

Alrighty, sorry about that. I'll ask him again and see what he has to say this time.

Hax24 said:
Alrighty, sorry about that. I'll ask him again and see what he has to say this time.

Typically, the bullshitters at the origin of such stories will just try to weasel out of committing to any details- or they'll pull some nonsense like 'Well of COURSE those guys wouldn't know about it. It was a secret after all.'

Either way, anyone telling a story of doing airborne drops in Afghanistan as part of the CF is talking out of his arse. The only jump I'm aware of in Afghanistan was the American 75th Ranger Regiment in 2001.

Is it conceivable that the original story was of airmobile arty ops as opposed to airborne arty ops but that the distinction was lost in the telephone game?

No the story was definitely that his artilleryman cousin was parachuting with pieces of artillery.

Hax24 said:
No the story was definitely that his artilleryman cousin was parachuting with pieces of artillery.

Then it is a complete fiction.

And if I am not mistaken our current guns are not "jump" capable.......

NFLD Sapper said:
And if I am not mistaken our current guns are not "jump" capable.......

Tee hee.  Anything is jump capable as long as you have the right mechanics waiting on the ground. 

Here is a vid of dropping 2 x 777s. It doesn't show the landing, so not sure how it turned out. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXq0-A9Xxw

In this video at the 2:39 it shows something being dropped, and by the length you could assume it's a 777.  Unfortunately it doesn't show the landing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzxT9kXDx4g

Maybe the OPs buddy is in the vid.  Kind of like where's Waldo  ;D

....and note that nobody is strapped to those guns, nor jumping with them, ;D

Our 777s did get lifted around the AOR a few times though...

When 450 Sqn gets thier shiny new Shithooks I'm sure this will be one task that 2 Horse will be keen to exercise.

GnyHwy said:
Tee hee.  Anything is jump capable as long as you have the right mechanics waiting on the ground. 

Here is a vid of dropping 2 x 777s. It doesn't show the landing, so not sure how it turned out. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXq0-A9Xxw

In this video at the 2:39 it shows something being dropped, and by the length you could assume it's a 777.  Unfortunately it doesn't show the landing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzxT9kXDx4g

Maybe the OPs buddy is in the vid.  Kind of like where's Waldo  ;D

Thanks Gny, I was not aware .....

I don't have anything from the thread this was split from but has anyone suggested that the brother's cousin's sister's uncle's friend might have been an American artilleryman?

Hax24 said:

Sounds like you need to out the Walting Bastard.  8)

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walts

Back