• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CC177 Begins Test Flights

Globesmasher

Inactive
Reaction score
Today our first aircraft began the first of many test flight protocols

resizetaxi.jpg

resizetaxi2.jpg

resizetakeoff3.jpg

resizetakeoff2.jpg

resizetakeoff1.jpg

resizeapp2.jpg

Thank you for the update Globesmasher. That is a truly beautiful sight! I can't wait to see it in Canada! :salute: :cdn:

Loving the temporary US Civil Registration...

Sweet Sweet  SWEEEET...

Can't wait to see it down on the runway in Trenton.

bily

I think its too small.  Send it back. 

(j/k!)  :p

New kit for...the army...the Air Force and (presumably) the Navy.

Gotta love it!  ;D

Should order another pair minimum.

How about 12 C-17's, 12 C-130J's, 12 FWSAR aircraft, my dream airlift for Canada.

Great news indeed.

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/news_images/2007/07/FirstFlight1.jpg

Article Link

Air Force Articles

Canada One C-17 makes historic first flight
Boeing’s first flight pilot has Canadian roots

July 25, 2007

FirstFlight1.jpg

Canada One takes off on its maiden flight from the Long Beach, California airport.  CREDIT: GINA VANATTER

Submitted by Boeing

It was a three-hour and 45-minute flight into Canadian aviation history on Monday afternoon as Canada One, the first of four new C-17 Globemaster IIIs Canada has on order from Boeing, took its first flight.

The first Canadian C-17, with the Maple Leaf and giant Canada word mark emblazoned on its fuselage, took off at 3:36 p.m. for its maiden flight from Long Beach, California Airport.

"For a first flight, we thought it performed exceptionally well," said Boeing production pilot Joel Brown. "But our expectations are always high that the C-17 will perform well."

The C-17 flew out over the Pacific Ocean, on a route that skirted Catalina Island, while Mr. Brown and a crew of seven performed a battery of checks of the plane. 

Monday's first flight for Canada One had special significance for Mr. Brown. His mother, Penny's, side of the family is Canadian -- natives of Alberta. And his grandfather, Bruce, is a retired aviator who served with the Royal Canadian Air Force and was a squadron leader who flew Boeing-built B-24s and B-17s. Mr. Brown himself has visited Canada about a dozen times.

"This was a great opportunity, with my Canadian roots and family history, that I was able to fly Canada's first C-17," Brown said. "My grandfather would have thoroughly enjoyed flying it. Overall, it was a good feeling to be able to say I was able to fly Canada's first heavy air cargo aircraft."

Canada One, which had a takeoff weight of 460,000 pounds (208,650 kilograms) for its maiden flight, was carrying some special cargo in honor of the event: five Canadian flags.

In all, Canadian requirements will mean at least two more days of test flights for Canada One. During test flights, new C-17s are put through a set of rigorous exercises, including touch-and-go landings, shutdown and restart of engines, testing of emergency backup systems and a variety of functional checks that are required prior to delivery.

FirstFlight3.jpg

Boeing pilot Joel Brown sits in the cockpit of Canada's C-17 for its first flight from the Long Beach facility.

Monday's flight crew of seven included United States Air Force aircrew Captain Tony DeAcosta; co-pilot, and Master Sergeant Chris Lester, Loadmaster; as well as Boeing employees Robert Tenorio, Loadmaster, and Flight Test Engineer Gerald Pendergast.
Delivery and arrival ceremonies are planned for early August both in Long Beach and the C-17's new home, 8 Wing Trenton in Ontario.

Boeing and the Canadian government in February signed a direct commercial sale agreement for the purchase of four C-17s for Canada's Department of National Defence.

Boeing is on contract to deliver 190 C-17s to the USAF, five to the Royal Air Force, four to the Royal Australian Air Force and four to the Canadian Forces. The second of the Canadian C-17s will be delivered later this year.

Back