• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBI 208 vs IRP

ballz

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Good day, wondering if someone can reconcile this for me.

Under CBI 208, a member whose HG&E is 907 kg or more is entitled to a $845 movement grant, less than 907 kg and its $260.

Under CFIRP however, the movement grant is $650, regardless of weight.

I suspect there is no mistake here so this question is more out of professional curiousity. If I understand it correctly, DCBA is beholden to the CBIs and DCBA writes the CFIRP (from the authority given to them by the CBIs).

Not quite.  They are distinct relocation policies for different circumstances:

CBIs 208:

Section 8 – Relocation Expenses
208.80 – Application and Definitions

208.80(1) (Application) This section applies to an officer or non-commissioned member of the Regular Force or the Reserve Force on Class C Reserve Service to whom Section 9 (Integrated Relocation Program) does not apply.

The amounts you quoted are in section 8.

SupersonicMax said:
Not quite.  They are distinct relocation policies for different circumstances:

CBIs 208:

Section 8 – Relocation Expenses
208.80 – Application and Definitions

208.80(1) (Application) This section applies to an officer or non-commissioned member of the Regular Force or the Reserve Force on Class C Reserve Service to whom Section 9 (Integrated Relocation Program) does not apply.

The amounts you quoted are in section 8.

And it's a f***in sh*t show. I've only seen one member posted this way, and what a stress case. The member basically gets all of the same benefits as with an IRP move, except they don't get a Brookfield advisor, and they have to arrange everything themselves, and submit claims directly to the OR. Neither the member or the clerks were very happy.

Lumber said:
And it's a f***in **** show. I've only seen one member posted this way, and what a stress case. The member basically gets all of the same benefits as with an IRP move, except they don't get a Brookfield advisor, and they have to arrange everything themselves, and submit claims directly to the OR. Neither the member or the clerks were very happy.

Not always the case. We do CBI moves quite frequently in Halifax (from arranging HHT, house sales, to pack-load-move, etc.) and the moves "usually" go quite well. The Financial Admins (clerks) meet with and are in regular contact with the member to ensure they are aware of entitlements and processes. 

I'm guessing that once Brookfield advisors are gone within the next year (and the requirement to self-educate about entitlements and policies really takes hold), members will have plenty to complain about...

SJBeaton said:
Not always the case. We do CBI moves quite frequently in Halifax (from arranging HHT, house sales, to pack-load-move, etc.) and the moves "usually" go quite well. The Financial Admins (clerks) meet with and are in regular contact with the member to ensure they are aware of entitlements and processes. 

I'm guessing that once Brookfield advisors are gone within the next year (and the requirement to self-educate about entitlements and policies really takes hold), members will have plenty to complain about...

That probably does work at a large BOR... Not so much at a reserve unit where the ship's office has one FSA who's supposed to do all Travel Claims initiation and finalization, travel bookings, everything DRMIS related, and NPF. Adding managing a members full cost move is a lot to add on.

Lumber said:
That probably does work at a large BOR... Not so much at a reserve unit where the ship's office has one FSA who's supposed to do all Travel Claims initiation and finalization, travel bookings, everything DRMIS related, and NPF. Adding managing a members full cost move is a lot to add on.

There should be a base responsible to support the unit - so things don't end up completely on the plate os someone who's one of one.

dapaterson said:
There should be a base responsible to support the unit - so things don't end up completely on the plate os someone who's one of one.

The support we get from our support bases  stops at calling us out on monthly audits for errors that don't end up actually being errors.

Lumber said:
The support we get from our support bases  stops at calling us out on monthly audits for errors that don't end up actually being errors.

You get the  "Where are the three quotes for spending less than $5 on battery" observations too?

dapaterson said:
You get the  "Where are the three quotes for spending less than $5 on battery" observations too?

Yepp... They also hate how we (*I*) refuse to use GC-111s for NON-DRMIS purchases (so, all local purchases basically).

CBIs are used when a member is not entitled to a CFIRP move.  A CFIRP move is done when you are occupationally qualified or meet one of the exceptions for a CFIRP move - see part I list.  DCBA makes presentation to Treasury Board for both of these sets of policies and many of the changes are directly related to the cases that they receive for adjudication.  Over time, these policies have been getting aligned with those of the public service - NJC and the RCMP.  If you see things falling away, it is normally because others don't get it so why should we?

Back