• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

George Floyd/ Derek Chauvin Thread

I’ve watched a numbers of the videos and looked at the Restraint methods in the Department’s Policy (at the time).

I don’t see his restraint method being in accordance to policy. Despite his claims to the contrary. The knee position isn’t on the shoulder.

The Q&A is probably the most insightful, as unless you want to read all of the Medical Examiner’s report it summarizes the issue that had the Restraint been applied correctly - George Floyd probably would have lived.

Autopsy Report for those who want.

Knee across neck is no bueno. Knee on shoulder is fine. We do that. The bystanders will still get all screamy about it cause it looks like neck, but it’s not. We also teach ‘cuffs on; cop off’. Once someone is probed and cuffed you should generally be able to control them enough without the full body weight of an officer or three on them. Doesn’t mean you don’t have a grip on them, but there should be no compression of the torso. That’s how you get position asphyxia.

I think most people by now know that both @brihard and I believe the tie goes to the officer in situations of straight ambiguity.

However this situation wasn’t like that.

Was George Floyd a bad guy, yes.
He definitely didn’t do himself any favors with his actions.

However at the end of the day, he didn’t deserve to get what occurred, as his actions didn’t deserve a lethal response.

The LE in question didn’t act within the scope of their mandate, and as such are then culpable for their actions.

Keep in mind that most states have blanket immunity for LE if they are acting within the course of their duties, and in accordance to policy.

Had the restraint been applied correctly, this case would have been a nothing regardless if the suspect had died.

there should be no compression of the torso. That’s how you get position asphyxia.

Even without a human touching the individual.

Or, handcuffs.

compressional and positional asphyxia due to prone facedown restraint on a paramedic transportation cot/stretcher by tightened straps across back and lower body

At least they didn't ratchet back the head.

Illinois paramedics charged with murder after patient dies of positional asphyxiation

They are facing 20 to 60 years in prison.

Pretty simple in Ontario,

In situations involving a patient with an emotional disturbance (e.g. erratic behaviour), the paramedic shall:

7. not transport a patient in the prone position;

It also shows the same officer in the cab of the vehicle talking to the Fire/EMS type wondering what took them so long.

This may, or may not, help.

EXPLAINER: How long did it take medics to reach Floyd?​

But one paramedic told jurors that he thought Floyd was already dead when he checked for a pulse while Chauvin was still pinning Floyd to the ground.

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo has testified officers are trained in basic first aid, including chest compressions, and department policy requires them to provide necessary aid as soon as possible before paramedics arrive.

The ambulance arrived to help Floyd less than 8 minutes after police first requested medical help — well within the standard response time set by Hennepin County, which includes Minneapolis.

HOW LONG DID THE AMBULANCE TAKE?​

Paramedics at Hennepin County Medical Center — roughly 3 miles (4.8 kilometers) from Floyd’s arrest — arrived just over 7 minutes after they were dispatched to the scene.

At first, the paramedics were told they were being sent to tend to a mouth injury and it was classified “Code 2,” which meant it was not life-threatening. Hennepin County has a response time standard of under 21 minutes for such calls.

But about one minute later, the call was upgraded to a “Code 3,” meaning a life-threatening situation. This means the paramedics could use their lights and sirens, and had a goal to reach the scene in under 11 minutes to meet Hennepin County’s response time standard.

As the paramedics arrived, they were notified that officers had a man restrained on the ground. Both paramedics testified that they saw no sign that Floyd was alive at that point.

Paramedic Derek Smith testified that after checking for a pulse and not finding one, he quickly concluded: “In layman’s terms? I thought he was dead.”

Paramedic: 'No Reason' Police Couldn't Have Started Chest Compressions On George Floyd​

"Any layperson can do chest compressions," Derek Smith of Hennepin County EMS testified during Derek Chauvin's trial.

Derek Smith, a paramedic with Hennepin County EMS, described arriving on the scene on May 25, 2020, and witnessing three police officers “on” Floyd’s body. Smith said he immediately checked Floyd’s pulse but could not detect one. It appeared as though Floyd was already dead, Smith testified.

Even without a human touching the individual.

Or, handcuffs.

At least they didn't ratchet back the head.

Pretty simple in Ontario,
I'm actually genuinely surprised that ANYBODY working in emergency services didn't know that...I mean surely, surely it must have been covered somewhere along the long line of training, exams, con-ed, etc 😳

I'm actually genuinely surprised that ANYBODY working in emergency services didn't know that...I mean surely, surely it must have been covered somewhere along the long line of training, exams, con-ed, etc 😳

Minneapolis P. D. knew.

Minneapolis Police Were Sued A Decade Ago In Similar Restraint Case

It's a lesson some in the Minneapolis Police Department already learned once, 10 years ago.

Both MPLS PD and St Paul Police had bad reputations for both questionable behaviors dealing with the various communities that make up those cities stretching back decades.
They've also had corruption issues that date back to the 19th century.
The very few interactions I've had with them the only thing that stands out was all of them seemed to be huge muscle bound examples of humanity. Which I suppose is a good thing for a uniformed officers on street patrol.
Mind you while the experience was fairly benign as these things go I was rather grateful to be a tourist rather then a local resident.
I just got this odd vibe off them ...

Back