• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cartoon madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post Submitted by Acorn:

---------------------------------------------------
I think the earlier post that mentioned the "coincidence" of the four-month-old cartoons suddenly becomeing an issue is on track: there are elements that seek to whip up this rage. In Syria, Lebanon and a number of other countries (which have seen violent reaction) there is, shall we say, interest at a certain level (government, frex) to keep peoples' minds focussed on something other than their own sorry states.

Some of you are reacting in exactly the same way as those who've burned the Danish Embassies in Syria and Lebanon. Selective quoting, dubious sources, trusting the media when it suits your own predjudices.

I have yet to see any quotes from a number of Muslim leaders in Canada who have condemned the violent reaction, while still condemning the cartoons (and advocating boycots, letter writing and other non-violent protest). I have yet to see anyone quote British news which quotes British Muslim leaders who advocate the immediate arrest of those idiots who carried placards calling for beheadings and jihad in the streets of London.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4676524.stm Or other more grassroots reactions http://www.damasceneblog.com/

Islam is deeper and wider than the stereotype of a bearded fanatic triggering a bomb-belt in a crowded bus.

Most of the reaction here, in anger, has been along the lines of "I'm offended by cartoons from Arab newspapers, but I don't burn their Embassies. They're a bunch of primitives." They? All of them?

And for the record, I've lived in Muslim countries. For years, not a six month tanning-and-souk tour either. They aren't as you see them through your TV screen - and a 60" plasma doesn't impart a picture any deeper or clearer than a 5" portable CRT.

Acorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back