• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Carol Burnett’s Lifetime Achievement Award: Golden Globes 2019

BeyondTheNow

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
I’m not a big awards-show fan. I honestly can’t remember the last time I sat down and actually watched one. But for some reason, with a silent house tonight, I decided to check out the Golden Globes, and I’m glad I had the chance to take in Carol Burnett accepting her Lifetime Achievement award. Her speech was lovely.

Variety shows were all the rage for a while and although I really only caught the end of that entertainment trend, my favourites were Smith & Smith, The Smothers Brothers & The Carol Burnett Show. I absolutely adored her.

Her speech tonight was touching and it’s sad to think that those of my son’s generation, as she said, will never know what they missed out on. She’s a true television, comedic and entertainment icon.

Speech at link

https://uproxx.com/tv/carol-burnett-lifetime-achievement-award-golden-globes/

...”Sometimes I catch myself daydreaming about being young again, and doing it all over. And then I bring myself up short, when I realize how incredibly fortunate I was to be there at the right time.” Burnett speculated that the cost of the show would likely be prohibitive. She said today’s networks would never take a chance on something so lavish. “So here’s to reruns and YouTube,” she quipped.

Still, Burnett remained positive. “What has remained the same, for every person lucky enough to be on television, is the belief that we’ve been given the opportunity to do something special,” she said. “We’ve been granted a gift, a canvas to paint with our talent, one that can make people laugh or cry or maybe do both.”

One of my favourite shows ever, and I got to stay up half an hour later than usual to watch the whole show

Back