• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Car Storage Places in Edm - Recommendations?

greentoblue

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I am going on tour again this year (MTTF) but the neighbour from whom I rented a place to store my car last time I was on tour is now retiring and moving to Vancouver Island.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a car storage place in the Edmonton - St Albert area?

Thanks in advance.

I've stored my car twice at Storage King on 127th st.  They deal with military all the time so they are on the ball.

I'll second Storage King. You can also try St Albert Storage, although I don't know if they offer a military discount.

St.Albert Storage is good, and you don't need a discount. The claim while on tour handles it. Ask your clerk tommorow.

You can try Lonely Cars out of Sherwood Park. Indoor and heated parking. They will pick up your vehicle at the LTF or your place and return it to you where you want it.

http://www.lonelycars.com/

Lonely cars is quite expensive.........a bit of a gouge of the military budgets......plus you have to pay extra for them to disconnect your battery and extra for them to start it monthly, plus extra , extra, extra.

Try the Car Craft guys...they have been doing storage for the military exclusively for five years....and its all one price included.
Call Chris 780-720-4841....hes a good guy....I have dealt with them before and was quite happy with the service....the pick up and drop off at the LTF is also great.

On that note, does anyone recommend any good property management companies in Edmonton to check on your place while away (preferably ones that are used to dealing with military folks)?

I'm being told by my OR that this is only for single members?  Can someone confirm the policy?

I am married and so they are telling me I am not allowed to claim vehicle storage while I am on a 7 month tour overseas.  In 2009, I was able to claim vehicle storage while I was married on a 7 month overseas deployment.

Thank you

Have them print the CBI out for you, it may have changed since your last deployment

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-10-foreign-service-instructions.page#sec-10-28-02

10.28.02 - Storage of Private Motor Vehicle and Related Expenses

10.28.02(1) (Intent) The intent of this instruction is to reimburse a member for the storage of a Private Motor Vehicle (PMV) when the shipment of the PMV to the location of the deployment is not authorized.

10.28.02(2) (Application) This instruction applies, after December 2005, to a member who is on deployment as set out in MFSI 10.1 or prohibited posted outside Canada.

10.28.02(3) (Entitlement) A member to whom this instruction applies is entitled to:
a.store the vehicle at public expense: i.at the nearest place where commercial storage facilities are available at actual and reasonable cost, supported by receipts; or
ii.when commercial storage is unavailable or not practical, DCBA may authorize the use of a non-commercial storage facility, of which the member's reimbursement is limited to $30 per month; and

b.return travel to the location of storage, where such storage facilities are necessarily outside the place of duty, in accordance with CBI 209.30 - Entitlements and Instruction, (see Canadian Forces Temporary Duty Travel Instruction) in respect of that journey.

10.28.02(4) (Retrieval of stored vehicle) On re-deployment, the member is entitled to the most practical and economical of:
a.shipment of the private motor vehicle to the new place of duty, under paragraph (5) of CBI 209.83 - Transportation and Travelling Expenses – Move of Officers and Non-commissioned Members on Posting or of Dependants; or
b.return travel to the storage facility in accordance with CBI 209.30 (see Canadian Forces Temporary Duty Travel Instruction) or CBI 209.83 in respect of that journey, and
c.when it is necessary to prepare the stored vehicle for road operation, the member may be authorized a necessary one-day scheduled stopover and, in this case, shall receive the benefits under CBI 209.30 (see Canadian Forces Temporary Duty Travel Instruction) or CBI 209.83.

10.28.02(5) (Preparation of stored vehicle – roadworthiness) When a vehicle is stored in a commercial storage facilities, the member may be reimbursed expenses that are required to restore the vehicle to roadworthiness up to $200. These expenses may include labour charges associated with a mandatory safety check, towing charges, brake cleaning/adjustments and labour and minor parts associated with a minor tune up.

(TB, effective 1 January 2006)

Back