• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAR reborn?

Gents, do a search of the war diary. This topic has been discussed ad nauseum.

A better question is "Why should we bring it back? What purpose would it serve and would a strategic resource, such as an Airborne Regiment, be supportable utilizing current equipment and resources?" What would it provide that is not resident in the three light infantry battalions located in each infantry regiment?

And where would we get the aircraft to deploy them...

Is there any precedent for re-activating Regiments? Even if a battalion sized parachute unit were re-activated, is there any precedent for giving them the name of a previously disbanded unit - ie "The Canadian Airborne Regiment"? There have been dozens of regiments disbanded and amalgamated and I am unaware of any of them ever being brought back to life, as it were. Anyone remember The Yorkton Regiment, The King‘s Own Rifles, The Edmonton Fusiliers, The Winnipeg Light Infantry, The Eastern Township Mounted Rifles, The Battleford Light Infantry, The Annapolis Regiment, The Canadian Guards, or The Weyburn Regiment?

I would suspect that any revival of a parachute battalion for the Regular Force would of necessity be named something else.

Are there any cases in the last century of a previously de-activated, disbanded or otherwise done-away-with regiment making its way back into the order of battle?

the US Army has a history of activating, then deactivating, then reactivating units

for example the Army rangers were activated, deactivated an re activated for WW2, Korea an Vietnam, then after the Vietnam war, shortly after they became a permanent unit

an recently
the 173rd Airborne Brigade was deactivated shortly after the Vietnam war, then in 2000, they were reactivated

Michael - You‘re more of a historian than me, so you might know; for sure my dad, also a Gunner (who lurks here) will give me a growl for not remembering. I think, in Italy, didn‘t 1 RCA or another Gunner regiment, become Lanark & Renfrew (or some infantry unit) for awhile? Were they rebadged, amalgamated, or what? I‘m sure Gunner, or RCA will know.

In 1944, it was realized that the balance of infantry and armour was off in the 5th Canadian Armoured Division. Another infantry brigade (12 CIB) was created in theatre. The Motor Battalion of the division was redesignated as standard infantry IIRC (this was the Westies), the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards, the recce regiment of 1 CID, was converted to infantry, and yes, the 1st Light Ack Ack was converted to infantry. I met their RSM at the Italian Campaign veteran‘s reunion in Yorkton three summers ago. They fought as infantry, and rebadged as Lanark and Renfrew after some debate. In the spring of 45 they moved to NW Europe, and converted back to a LAA regiment.

Bear in mind the Lanark and Renfrew militia unit was in existence in Canada throughout this period, and did support the redesignation of 1 LAA.

Yes it should be brought back.
Why?
So the avarage Infanteer has something to work for.

For the Infanteer in Canada the Ultimate was to be a memeber of the Air Borne.

Prior the shame the Air Borne was a good brigade and had good troop‘s combined i.e. engineer‘s,arty. and zipper head‘ s and all were good soldier‘s and performed well.

Yes bring it back !!!!!!!

didnt some CO‘s transfer trouble makers into it aswell as "good" soldiers

an those trouble makers are pretty much the reason the Reg got disbanded(Somalia), aside from the gov‘t making the worse decision

I know the Airborne had three rifle commandos. Did it have a combat support commando? If not, where were TOW, Mortars, Pioneers, Recce, and Air defence grouped?

Could someone also explain the organisation of a Commando? Was it just a large rifle Coy, or did it have extra platoons or sections?

The Borne was out lined like any other Inf Regt.
. But had a Pathfinder Pl. Tow, Mortars, etc. But It had the Airborne btl group as follows.
E Bty 2 RCHA
1st Troop Recce Sqn RCD before that 8CH, the Sqn could be tasked as a whole if required.
2 Troop, 2CER
2 Field Amb
Jump Troop, (SSF)Sigs Regt.
A small group from 2 MP Pl.
Int Pl (SSF)
and bits and pieces of the SSF (HQ) and sub unit from 427Sqn
This could also augmented by QORs jumpers, Loyal Eddies, and Regt De Sagania
As outlined in Order of Battle CAR BG 1990.

Well, I remember the Weyburn Regiment, eventually reintegrated into the SSR, which is now gone too. Michael, a quick question. The Regina Rifles badge was solid black. I see that the badge on DND‘s site is now silver with green. New cap badge?

The Regina Rifles also wore silver coloured badges (officers) during WW II. They had a helmet decal during the war, which was red, green and gold - apparently the regimental colours.

They were renamed the Royal Regina Rifles in the 1980s IIRC, so the DND badge would indeed be "new" - the last "new" badge being in 1953 with the addition of the Queen‘s Crown to replace the older King‘s Crown worn before.

Thanks Michael - since I wrote my post I have been casting around trying to find the old RR badge I have somewhere here.

This could also augmented by QORs jumpers, Loyal Eddies, and Regt De Sagania
As outlined in Order of Battle CAR BG 1990
Don‘t forget about us Westies!! ;)

So the avarage Infanteer has something to work for.

For the Infanteer in Canada the Ultimate was to be a memeber of the Air Borne.
The ultimate, for those in the infantry who are so inclined, is really to wear the maroon beret. This is still an attainable goal today. I‘m sure the jumpers of the RCR, PPCLI, and R22er Para Coys are as proud to wear their regimental brass on their maroon berets as the CAR were. So really, the "average infanteer" still has something to work for...also let‘s not forget JTF-2 and the Pathfinder course...

Sorry to bring this back to life, but I don‘t get " computer time" very often.

The Borne was out lined like any other Inf Regt. But had a Pathfinder Pl. Tow, Mortars, etc.
Were these grouped into a Cbt Sp Coy (or Cbt Sp Cdo) or some other sub-unit? Why can‘t I find reference to them on any of the Regiment‘s web pages?

Student Sapper,
The Air Borne,Para‘s etc. are SUPER QUICK LIGHT INFANTRY!!!
Yes they jump with Mortor‘s,and all the weapon‘s
needed to fight.
Even Para Engineer‘s jump with all the kit plus needed Explosive‘s and tool‘s,at time‘s more waight than than the rifle man.

Also Air Borne are a UNIT as a WHOLE thier are no Sub Unit‘s with in the Air Borne.

I hope this clear‘s up your question.

Remember,there‘s no such thing as a stupid question ;)

Take care

The CAR was composed of 6 sub-units (post-Somalia reorg):
- HQ CDO (Regt HQ + Sigs PL)
- 1er CDO
- 2 CDO
- 3 CDO
- CBT SPT CDO (Recce, Mortars, Direct Fire Spt, Engineers and Air Defence platoons)
- SVC CDO (Maint, TPT, Supply, Cooks, Medics, etc...)
The return of the CAR would greatly benefit the CF, though it should have a better selection process. In my opinion, if it was ever reactivated, the AIC (Airborne Indoctrination Course) should be used as a selection process and be done before posting to the Regt.

The other day I was at a Mcdonalds with a couple of buddies in uniform and one of the guys behind the counter came and started yellin at us for havin berets on and problems with our uniforms and it turned out he was in the CAR and it was really sad to see a member of The CAR workin at McDonalds. He told us how elite he felt in the CAR and when he was a pvt in the infantry workin to belong in the CAR it really gave a soldier a dream he said.

Don‘t feel sorry for the guy. If hes working at mcdonalds it‘s because he wants to be.

Back