• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Car Advice?-Rotor squeaking-Hyundai Accent

NSDreamer

Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
After going to two different mechanics and one dealership I'm on the verge of admitting defeat. My front left wheel is emitting a squeaking noise that I was told was due to rust on/around the rotor and that it's not a major issue,  but that fixing it woould be quite expensive. Does anyone by any chance have some advice who has experience with cars? (Not my strongest point)

Without looking at it I'd guess your pads are worn out. The loud squawk you hear could be the built in warning device that your pads are pooched.

A brake job isn't that expensive. I take it you have front disk brakes?

Yes, that was the first thought of my mechanic as well who's a pretty good honest guy, however he says my pads are still at about 50% (having been replaced less then a year and a half ago).

Could be a rock stuck between the rotor and the caliper.

Or if it is a rust issue you can take the rotor off. Tap the outside edge with a hammer to lessen or remove said rust. Then reinstall. It has worked for me on a couple of my older vehicles. Anything that is too new I just replace because you never know what kind of sensor you might upset.

Just clean the rotor... go to the shop in Windsor Park.

Had a similiar problem with my car.  Right after a a brake job started hearing a noise from one of the wheels which had the brakes changed.  Turned out it was the wheel bearings.  Quick job.

I shall look into the above thoughts! Thank you kindly everyone.

Clean it first, then see if it's a wheel bearing.

If the car is park, go to the tire in question. And pull on the top towards you. If it clicks or gives... then a strong chance of it being the wheel bearing. If so... just replace the whole knuckle, not the bearing itself. Too much time and heart ache.

Back