• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Capt (retd) J. Ross McKenzie

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
We are saddened to report the passing of Capt (retd) J.Ross McKenzie at Kingston, ON 12 January 2019.

Ross first arrived at Royal Military College of Canada in 1965. Ross served both in Canada and in Germany as a Dragoon following his 1970 graduation from RMC. He would spend almost 50 years either in ‘uniform’ or working as a DND Public Servant. Other than his early Regimental Service, he served the College, as an officer cadet and then a member of the staff – likely a record in the history of RMC.

Ross returned to the College as the Personal Assistant to the commandant, BGen Frank Norman in 1984, he found the job was filled by four Cadets! He became the Protocol and Information Officer.

It was five years later, when Commodore, Ed Murray, another history buff, much like Frank Norman, was commandant that Ross was hired as the civilian RMC Liaison Officer and Museum Curator. He became the full time curator in 2006, retiring in 2015.

Ross was very active in the OMMC for the last two decades and will be greatly missed in the CF Museum community.

When I applied to RMC I remember my references specifically addressing their letters to him and having him come to my swearing in to congratulate me.  I met with him several times while at the college and learned some interesting facts on Billy Bishop as well when writing a paper about him. Capt Ross was definitely a fan of that part of RMC history and even showed me the registration books where Bishop's time was recorded.  He was a regular figure throughout my time in Kingston, even after graduation. Once the date for the memorial is set I will try and post it here.

Back