• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Capt Groberg to receive Army Medal of Honor

bick

Reaction score
U.S. army Captain to receive Medal of Honor for actions in Afghanistan.

http://www.army.mil/article/156956/Groberg_to_receive_Medal_of_Honor_for_actions_in_Afghanistan/

Note what he says:
Having been trained at several of the Army's elite leadership schools doesn't by default make a second lieutenant a respected leader in a kinetic area like Kunar province, Groberg remembered.

"I didn't know anything about being a platoon leader or being a leader of men who had already been in combat for months," Groberg said. "So when I was tasked with being a platoon leader, I found out it was going to be a different transition for me to earn respect from men who were already battle-hardened Soldiers."

Groberg said he had a meeting with his platoon sergeant, Sgt. 1st Class Korey Staley, to discuss the situation.

"I told him I'm as green as it gets and I'm not over here trying to make mistakes - you have to be my mentor and teach and work with me. He was happy that I had come into the unit with that type of mindset, so for the first week I just over-watched everything the unit did - how we reacted in combat situations," Groberg recalled.

After a week or so that included being hit by the enemy a few times, he and Staley sat down to talk about the company commander's vision, the battalion commander's vision, and how the squad leaders could help put together an overall plan.

"We were in many, many firefights together. Because of the leadership and trust we developed, I understood that no officer will ever be successful without the direct support and mentorship of a noncommissioned officer [NCO]," Groberg said. "Because of that, we were able to bring everyone home from the deployment."

For me the money quote was :

I understood that no officer will ever be successful without the direct support and mentorship of a noncommissioned officer [NCO]," Groberg said. "Because of that, we were able to bring everyone home from the deployment."

Back