• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Capt Francis, Capt Dawe, M/Cpl Bason, Cpl Anderson, Cpl. Bartsch, Pte. Watkins

CdnArtyWife

Inactive
Reaction score
Six Nato troops killed in southern Afghanistan
By Matthew Moore and agencies
Last Updated: 4:44pm BST 04/07/2007
Article Link

Frontline: Reports from British war zones around the world
Six Nato troops and their Afghan interpreter have been killed after their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan.

Their nationalities have not yet been revealed, but the incident occurred in the dangerous Kandahar province, where many Canadian troops are deployed.

The Canadian defence ministry said an "incident" had been reported and was being investigated.
More on Link

Edited to move the by-line down to next line

Six NATO soldiers killed in southern Afghanistan
Globe and Mail Update
July 4, 2007 at 11:05 AM EDT
Article Link

KABUL —

Six soldiers with the NATO-led force and their Afghan interpreter were killed Wednesday when their vehicle struck a bomb in southern Afghanistan, NATO says.

The attack is the deadliest since April when six Canadian soldiers were killed in a similar incident.

The 37-nation International Security Assistance Force did not release the nationalities of the foreign troops, leaving such announcements to their home nations.

The Canadian defence ministry said however there had been an "incident,"according to AFP.

"We are aware of an incident but it's still being investigated. We don't have any further details," spokeswoman Lieutenant Carole Brown said.

"Six ISAF soldiers and one Afghan ISAF employee were killed today in southern Afghanistan after the vehicle they were riding struck an improvised explosive device," ISAF said in a statement.

It said separately that the Afghan was an interpreter.

More on Link

An interview on CBC just now reported that the incident took place in the Panjwaii region.

Commander of TF Afghanistan, Brig Gen Tim Grant is currently live on CTVNewsnet, confirming the 6 NATO soldiers were Canadian.

:cdn: RIP to the fallen :cdn:

Six Canadians killed by bomb in southern Afghanistan, military says
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - Six Canadians soldiers have been killed by a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan.

The names of the soldiers have not been released. An Afghan interpreter has also been killed in the blast. Military officials in Kandahar say the explosion happened shortly before 11 a.m. Wednesday as the soldiers were returning to a forward operating base in the Panjwaii district west of Kandahar city.

The attack is the deadliest involving Canadians since Easter Sunday, when six other Canadian soldiers were killed in the Maywand district near the border with Helmand province.

Sixty-six Canadian soldiers have now lost their lives in Afghanistan.

The six soldiers killed today were due to complete their tour of duty in Afghanistan at the end of this month.
http://www.recorder.ca/cp/World/070704/w070441A.html

A very sad day for Canada. Rest peacefully troops. Condolences to all. :cdn:  :salute:

RIP boys. I really hope I don't know any of these names. It's a very sad day for their families.  :salute: :cdn:

:cdn: RIP comrades and condolences to the families  :salute:

Missing1

Six Canadian soldiers killed in roadside blast
Updated Wed. Jul. 4 2007 12:46 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A roadside bomb has killed six Canadian soldiers in the volatile Panjwaii district of Afghanistan, as well as an Afghan interpreter.

Brig.-Gen. Tim Grant, commander of Task Force Afghanistan, confirmed the deaths during a news conference Wednesday in Kandahar.

He said the soldiers -- who have not been identified pending notification of next of kin -- were travelling in a RG-31 Nyala armoured vehicle with the interpreter when the attack occurred.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070704/afghan_soldiers_070704/20070704?hub=TopStories

My heart bleeds for the families of the fallen. Knowing and currently experiencing the mixed feelings that come with "being in the home stretch" of a tour, and then hearing news of this nature is very very sad.

My deepest, and sincerest condolences are sent as I sit here holding my breath, hoping and praying that none of the names are familiar to me, though my gut is telling me that may not be the case.

:'(

My condolences to all the families sitting on the edges of their seats anticipating the worst from this and escpecially those who know the unfortunate truth... RIP to all.

Condolences to family, colleagues and friends....

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Shared with the usual disclaimer....

Six Canadians killed by bomb in southern Afghanistan, military says
STEPHANIE LEVITZ, Canadian Press, 4 Jul 07
http://www.recorder.ca/cp/World/070704/w070445A.html

Six more Canadian lives have been lost to the blast of a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan.

An Afghan interpreter was also killed in the explosion which happened just before 11 a.m.. Brig.-Gen. Tim Grant says the soldiers were killed as they were returning to a forward operating base in the Panjwaii district west of Kandahar city.

Grant says the explosion happened on a gravel road "that we have travelled regularly in the past month."

Grant is the top commander of the Canadian contingent in Afghanistan.

The names of the dead have not been released as the military is still notifying their next of kin. The soldiers were due to end their tour of duty in Afghanistan at the end of this month.

Twenty-two soldiers have now been killed on this rotation alone; by this time last year only eight had died. Altogether, 66 Canadian soldiers have now lost their lives in Afghanistan since 2002, along with one diplomat

The latest deaths occurred in an area the Canadian military has been using as an example of their mission's achievements in Afghanistan.

The Taliban were thought to have largely left, and several reconstruction projects are underway.

But three other soldiers were killed there on June 20 by an improvised explosive device.

Wednesday's blast is the deadliest involving Canadians since Easter Sunday, April 8, when another devastating roadside-bomb explosion killed six Canadian soldiers in what was then the worst single-day toll for the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan.

The latest deaths came as the current rotation of Canadian soldiers are entering their last month of their tour in Afghanistan.

The military is paving the way for the next battle group due to arrive in August - some 2,000 soldiers of the Royal 22nd Regiment, known as the Van Doos, from Valcartier, Que.

Since 2002, 66 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have been killed in Afghanistan ....

RIP

:cdnsalute: :cdnsalute: :cdnsalute: :cdnsalute: :cdnsalute: :cdnsalute:

HL

Back