• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Capt. Cook statue in Inner Harbour splashed with red paint

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
I assume that we can expect a round up of 'Red Rose' supporters from Lancashire :)

Capt. Cook statue in Inner Harbour splashed with red paint

B.C. historians say vandalism that targeted the bronze statue of British explorer Capt. James Cook in the Inner Harbour raises questions about whether such monuments glorify figures who represent oppression of Indigenous people.

On Thursday morning, someone splashed the life-size statue with red oil paint, which covered the statue’s legs and right hand holding a compass. Paint also stained the pavement surrounding the statue, which faces the Fairmont Empress Hotel.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/capt-cook-statue-in-inner-harbour-splashed-with-red-paint-1.24193493

Since the Haida were raiding other nations and taking slaves/goods, that makes Bill Reid the descendant of slavers, so when can we start defacing his art?

Asking for a friend?

Colin P said:
Since the Haida were raiding other nations and taking slaves/goods, that makes Bill Reid the descendant of slavers, so when can we start defacing his art?

Asking for a friend?

Or removing totem poles?

Hey! Only white people owned slaves don't you know?

Hamish Seggie said:
Or removing totem poles?

That's not really a valid analogy though - a totem pole isn't dedicated to one person.  I'm not really sure what the equivalent in Indigenous culture would be.

Dimsum said:
That's not really a valid analogy though - a totem pole isn't dedicated to one person.  I'm not really sure what the equivalent in Indigenous culture would be.

A bit of a 'red herring' I think as, given all the virtue signalling self-loathing 'settlers' around Victoria these days, I doubt that any local Indigenous people would have been the ones to chuck the red paint on the statue.

Back