• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cap Badge while on training

Status
Not open for further replies.

spud

Inactive
Reaction score
Quick question:

I'm a recruit school bypass, 8 years previous service, awaiting training right now in a log trade: previously, I was TQ3 qualified in a log trade, then later TQ5 qualified in a naval trade.

Upon initial issue of my gear the other day I was given the cornflake. I understood that I was entitled to wear the cap badge of my choosing (either naval ops or log, being at least 3's qualified in both) while awaiting my trades course.

Any direction on an applicable reg would be great.

thanks

upon reflection, anyone who knows could pm me. probably be easier.

How long have you been out for? I think if its over 1 year then I believe it is a corn flake.. Don't quote me on this I could be wrong

I am sure you will recieve direction when you get to Borden.  I wouldn't get rid of the cornflake just yet though.

If you bypassed recruit school, and are going into a trade which wears the same Log Cap Badge (which is the case as I read it in your post) then you are entitled to wear you earned cap badge.

The staff at Clothing Stores would not have been privy to your previous service and QL3 qualification, thus you would have been issued the same items as anyone else just proceeding on basic trades qual.

Talk to your course staff upon beginning your course, they will arrange to get you your proper cap badge.

The Librarian said:
If you bypassed recruit school, and are going into a trade which wears the same Log Cap Badge (which is the case as I read it in your post) then you are entitled to wear you earned cap badge.

Yes Vern, same cap badge, only difference is the log cap badge was metal when I picked it up back in the day. No slight against those who are waiting to earn a badge, but I thought I earned the right to wear something other then a recruit badge after serving 8 years already. Getting back in after one year or 15 years shouldnt make a difference.

Thanks for the info.

spud

spud said:
Yes Vern, same cap badge, only difference is the log cap badge was metal when I picked it up back in the day. No slight against those who are waiting to earn a badge, but I thought I earned the right to wear something other then a recruit badge after serving 8 years already. Getting back in after one year or 15 years shouldnt make a difference.

Thanks for the info.

spud

In the end...is it going to ruin your life if you have to wear the cornflake for a few weeks  ::)

Interesting thread, as this topic just came up on my course.  Some of the students were at airbases for OJT after their BMQ and they were told to replace the cornflake with the Air badge (sorry, don't recall offhand the proper name of the one I have, I'm sure Cdnaviator will smack me soon enough).  Got to course and they were all told to put the cornflake back up, as they weren't trade qualified yet.

I am one of 2 transfers on the course and we were told to keep the Air ops badge.  I can understand us not having the cornflake, but we are also not trade qualified.  Would look kind of funny if I put my hard sea capbadge on my wedge, but what else could/should we do?

Now...an anchor on a wedge would go over REEAALLYY well with the base chief. Talk about your landlocked sailor.
(Sorry mich, just had to throw that one down.) :D
As for the cornflake while on OJT, one word...FOD.  Clothe badges only on the airfield.  When I OT'd two years ago, I wore my Log badge to CFCSE then got told to change to Jimmy.  Everyone had their trade badge on even though the new guys just came off recruit training.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.
:)

BYT Driver said:
As for the cornflake while on OJT, one word...FOD.  Clothe badges only on the airfield.  When I OT'd two years ago, I wore my Log badge to CFCSE then got told to change to Jimmy.  Everyone had their trade badge on even though the new guys just came off recruit training.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.
:)

Funny  I don't recall an airfield at NAV CANADA in Cornwall

I'm sure the cornflake is just fine for her course.

Trin, I think airmich gets to wear her Air Ops badge but the newbies get thier cornflake.  She said that while on OJT the newbies had to wear a clothe badge, hence, FOD.  Nothing said about Cornwall.
Cheers, BYTD

BYT Driver said:
Now...an anchor on a wedge would go over REEAALLYY well with the base chief. Talk about your landlocked sailor.
(Sorry mich, just had to throw that one down.) :D

::) I'm trying to see an anchor on a wedge? The image just does not seem to work for me.  ;D

BYT Driver said:
Trin, I think airmich gets to wear her Air Ops badge but the newbies get thier cornflake.  She said that while on OJT the newbies had to wear a clothe badge, hence, FOD.  Nothing said about Cornwall.
Cheers, BYTD

And I didn't state for MICH....  I said for HER course.

Yes.. and no one but ME said anything about cornwall.

Cornflake capbadges aren't FOD at NAV CANADA where she's taking her course.

How do you put the capbadge on the actual beret?

I see, a stitched part showing where it should be.

kratz said:
::) I'm trying to see an anchor on a wedge? The image just does not seem to work for me.  ;D

That's okay, the other transfer was PPCLI.  How does that image work for you?  ;D

caceres said:
How do you put the capbadge on the actual beret?

I see, a stitched part showing where it should be.
Take it to clothing stores and have it sewn on , end of problem.

And mich, have the Pat put an Air Ops badge on his / her green beret. 
I take it there are no other military up there to bother about little things like dress?  ;D

BYT Driver said:
Take it to clothing stores and have it sewn on , end of problem.

And mich, have the Pat put an Air Ops badge on his / her green beret. 
I take it there are no other military up there to bother about little things like dress?  ;D

It's not the "sewn" on type. It's the 'cornflake.' The one they give to us recruits.

caceres said:
It's not the "sewn" on type. It's the 'cornflake.' The one they give to us recruits.

You can take an exacto knife/equivalent and cut a short horizontal slit (6-8mm wide) in the wool (but not the underlying cardboard) of the beret where the cap badge goes, at a height that matches where the metal tab/tang on the cornflake would slide down to and stop (leaving the cornflake centered on the rigid cardboard-backed portion of the beret.  By making the slit only 6-8mm, there should be enough friction on the tang to hold the cornflake in place.

Good2Golf said:
You can take an exacto knife/equivalent and cut a short horizontal slit (6-8mm wide) in the wool (but not the underlying cardboard) of the beret where the cap badge goes, at a height that matches where the metal tab/tang on the cornflake would slide down to and stop (leaving the cornflake centered on the rigid cardboard-backed portion of the beret.  By making the slit only 6-8mm, there should be enough friction on the tang to hold the cornflake in place.

Hey!! Did you actually read this thread??  ;D

Hey!! Did someone actually give useful, correct, non-sarcastic advice??  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back