• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canteen Access

jim303

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi to all!

I have a question I can't seem to get an answer to...

So since the Canteen no longer sends out catalogues, and now out and living in the US, I have no access to ROSS, or whatever system is now in use, how does one check out the Canteen's catalogue?

Cheers!

Jim

Why would you want to?  Im sure you can find anything you can think of cheaper locally... except maybe backbacon, maple syrup and toques...

Greymatters said:
Why would you want to?  Im sure you can find anything you can think of cheaper locally... except maybe backbacon, maple syrup and toques...

I'm guessing, but probably things like mugs, pictures, etc with the RCMP logo on it? I doubt, none of which, he would find locally.

I don't believe that the canteen at Depot still exists....I had heard that it was closed a few years back, due to internal theft by an employee.

The cadets now buy all their paraphanalia at the new museum giftshop. There is also a mountie gift shop run by a member in Langley.

Noneck

recceguy said:
I'm guessing, but probably things like mugs, pictures, etc with the RCMP logo on it? I doubt, none of which, he would find locally.

It would seem I am mixing up 'canteen' with 'kit shop'...

noneck said:
I don't believe that the canteen at Depot still exists....I had heard that it was closed a few years back, due to internal theft by an employee.

The cadets now buy all their paraphanalia at the new museum giftshop. There is also a mountie gift shop run by a member in Langley.

Noneck

Seriously? Though it sounds like the Force...
I remember the Museums prices were quite a bit more to assist in the upkeep.
Is the shop in Langley run by John Grevies (s)? I thought he had moved to Vernon or Kelowna?
If you could send me that shops info Noneck, I will appreciate it!

Cheers,

Jim

Jim , I haven't forgotten about your request, I've been out of town with work for the last couple of weeks and will probably spend another week or so away before i can get the info.

Noneck

Sorry guys, I got side tracked myself for a bit!

Noneck was dead on, the manager was paying herself out of the till and the canteen now simply sells shoe polish etc. to the recruits/cadets/flavour of the month.

Noneck, could you pass on the info of this guy in E Div to me?

Thanks for the link as well!

Cheers.

Jim, here are a few:

The first is a commercial enterprise, the second I think is associated to the Museum and the third is the business that is displayed in each Detachment with proceeds towards the Mounted Police fund (This is the one that i thought was in Langley but is actually in Cloverdale).

http://www.mountieshop.com/

https://www.rcmpgifts.com/xcart/home.php

http://www.redsergegifts.com/

Cheers
Noneck

I was at Depot in Regina in August.

First place I went to was the Canteen, as in many items are about 1/2 price from the Museum gift shop, and there was a better variety of T-shirts etc.

The Canteen as it was is no longer.

Selling Gatorade, shoe polish, and Mars bars, thats about it. After some general queries, the museum gift shop now is the only place that sells RCMP related items, and even Mbrs do not get a discount. 

As for the new Museum, many of the items on display in the old 1973 Museum are no longer on public display, and there is now an admission charge of $12 for adults ( and if I remember $10 for Mbrs, and ZERO for Defence) , compared to being completley free for everyone in the old museum.

WRT the overall impression of the new Museum, I found it disappointing.

OWDU

noneck,

I thought the one in Cloverdale used to do Challenge coins as well? I can't seem to find them anywhere anymore. The produced this beautiful coin where one side had the horseman superimposed on a maple leaf, with 1873 on top and MP on the bottom. The other side was the good old buffalo and a place to put your Reg# It came in either silver or gold colours.

OWDU- My impression exactly. I was there is Sept for the annual Memorial Pde and thought the museum was lacking. I compare it to the Juno Beach Center in Normandy....very typically PC and not very informative.

If you want to start a little controversy, ask to see the rope that they hung Louis Riel with and then ask them to take a picture of you holding it with a big smile in your face! Afterall he is a hero now.

Also I have heard that,  The Bay is selling all the T Shirts and such now.

Noneck

Too right. All squeaky clean and PC beyond a joke.

As a kid the pre 1973 musuem used to have that rope, and a switch blade from the German spy, both which are no longer in public display.

I was to Batoche in 2000, to show this battlefield to some Aussie mates, and my oh my, how history was conveniently re-wrote, making the government of Canada the enemy, and turning the event into a national disgrace. Hell, I almost felt ashamed after that (if i did not know the real truth), and God knows what the tourists from other countries think. Almost like our own 'Wounded Knee' or worse.

Reil was a traitor and paid the price, now a folk hero. Hitler was a dictator and worse, now he is a.......

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks All!

A belated, but appreciated thanks to all.

Noneck, a 1004 is due my good man!

Cheers!

Jim

Back