• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANLANDGEN 011, 13KM RUCK MARCH TRUMPS THE EXPRESS TEST FOR LAND FORCES

geo

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
CANLANDGEN 011/06 221200 Z Dec 06
SUBJ: INTERIM DIRECTION ON ARMY PHYSICAL FITNESS POLICY
REFS: A. DAOD 5023-2 PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM 08 MAY 06
B. CDS CANFORGEN 087/06 CMP 040 081835 MAY 06
C. LFCO 24-2, PHYSICAL FITNESS MAY 1997
D. B-GL-382-003/PT-001, ARMY FITNESS MANUAL 1 MAR 2004
1. BACKGROUND. REFS A AND B DIRECT ALL CF REG AND PRIMARY RESERVE PERS TO BE FITNESS EVALUATED ANNUALLY. THE ANNUAL FITNESS TESTING OF CL A RESERVE PERS REPRESENTS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT CHANGE AND REF C, LFCO 24-02, WILL BE REVISED TO INCORPORATE CHANGES.
2. INTENT. ALL REG FORCE AND PRIMARY RESERVE PERS SERVING WITHIN LFC, INCLUDING NON-LAND ENVIRONMENT PERS, WILL BE FITNESS EVALUATED ANNUALLY TO THE LAND FORCE COMMAND PHYSICAL FITNESS STANDARD (LFCPFS). IN ESSENCE, ALL PERS SERVING IN LFC WILL BE EVALUATED USING THE LFCPFS AS THE PRIMARY TEST. IMPLEMENTATION WILL COMMENCE 01 APR 07 WITH A COMPLETION DATE OF 31 MAR 08 WHICH COINCIDES WITH THE CFPAS REPORTING SYSTEM.
3. LFCPFS FITNESS TEST. THE LFCPFS CONSISTS OF THE THREE-TASK STANDARD: THE 13 KM WEIGHTLOAD MARCH, THE CASUALTY EVACUATION TASK, AND THE TRENCH DIG TASK. WHERE FACILITIES DO NOT EXIST FOR THE TRENCH DIG TASK, RESERVE PERS WILL ONLY BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE WEIGHTLOAD MARCH AND CAS EVAC TASKS. ARMY FITNESS MANUAL, REF D, REMAINS THE KEY REFERENCE. SUPPLEMENTARY GUIDANCE FOR CL A PREPARATION FOR THE LFCPFS WILL BE PROMULGATED.
4. CF EXPRES TEST. EXPRES TESTING REMAINS THE CF MINIMUM PHYSICAL FITNESS STANDARD (CFMPFS) AND IS THE BASIS FOR PROMOTION AND ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION. EXPRES TESTING WILL BE USED BY LFC PERS WHEN MEDICALLY DIRECTED OR FOLLOWING TWO UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPTS AT THE LFCPFS. LAND PERS SERVING OUTSIDE OF LFC UNITS WILL REMAIN AUTH TO USE CF EXPRES TESTING (CFMPFS) IN LIEU OF LFCPFS. CF EXPRESS EXEMPT STATUS EQUIVALENCY WILL CONTINUE TO BE REFLECTED ON CFPAS PER FORMS FOR ALL PERSONNEL ACHIEVING THE ANNUAL LFCPFS REQUIREMENT.
5. LFCPFS EVALUATION FORM. A NEW FORM HAS BEEN DEVELOPED TO SUPPORT THE DELIVERY OF LFCPFS FITNESS TESTING. THIS NEW FORM REQUIRES CHAIN OF COMMAND AUTHORIZATION PRIOR TO THE COMMENCEMENT OF LFCPFS FITNESS TRAINING AND TESTING. THE NEW LFCPFS FORM HAS BEEN ENDORSED BY VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA AND IS CONSIDERED TO BE EQUIVALENT TO THE CF EXPRES 279 DOCUMENTATION IN SUPPORT OF AN INJURY ATTRIBUTABLE TO MILITARY SERVICE. THIS NEW FORM AND COMPLETION INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED ON THE DAT DWAN HOME PAGE AT THE FOL LINK: HTTP://ARMYONLINE.KINGSTON.MIL.CA/LFDTS/D143000440089813.ASP 

6. LFCO 24-2 WILL BE REVISED AND SUPPLEMENTARY CL A RESERVE PREPARATION GUIDANCE ISSUED NO LATER THAN 15 JAN 07. THE ARMY FITNESS MANUAL WILL BE UPDATED IN 07. OVERALL, THE NEW CF AND ARMY FITNESS POLICIES WILL CONTRIBUTE POSITIVELY TO THE OVERALL FITNESS OF ALL MEMBERS OF THE LFC. AT END STATE, ALL LFC MEMBERS WILL ACHIEVE THE LFCPFS ANNUALLY, WHICH IS CONSISTENT WITH THE IBTS FITNESS DEPLOYMENT STANDARD.
SIGNED LGEN A.B. LESLIE, CHIEF OF THE LAND STAFF 

Sooo.... you have to train for the 13 K ruck march.
If you fail it twice, then you see the Doc - then you are submitted to the Express test...

OK, everyone back to work :)

Have a good day!

geo said:
Sooo.... you have to train for the 13 K ruck march.
If you fail it twice, then you see the Doc - then you are submitted to the Express test...

OK, everyone back to work :)

Have a good day!

Status quo.... ;D

YES! YES! YES!

Now perhaps we can start enforcing a physical fitness standard!

Ohhhh Happy days!

GF

The Librarian said:
Status quo.... ;D

Not really status quo, Starting April 1st, the 13 Km + Fireman's carry + trench dig will be the standard to meet for all Blue/Black/Green personnel working within Land Forces Command.  The Shuttle run will then be relegated to "remedial training" for those who tank the 13 Km twice - after the Doc says he is "fit" to undergo training.  What the directive does not say is.... An individual who after failing the 13Km twice, passes the express test after remedial training - does he have to do the 13 Km over again?

I would imagine that after two failures at the 13 km BFT and then the Remedial PT and a CF Express PASS, that would be acceptable for the annual testing.  It would be the next year when it would start all over again.

geo said:
Not really status quo, Starting April 1st, the 13 Km + Fireman's carry + trench dig will be the standard to meet for all Blue/Black/Green personnel working within Land Forces Command.  The Shuttle run will then be relegated to "remedial training" for those who tank the 13 Km twice - after the Doc says he is "fit" to undergo training.  What the directive does not say is.... An individual who after failing the 13Km twice, passes the express test after remedial training - does he have to do the 13 Km over again?

Your above test has been the status quo here for 2 years now. March, carry, and trench dig. Two attempts to pass...or off to the land of the Express test.

<pre-edit - in aniticipation of C&P  ;D > Sorry Librarian you got in under me, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I see your meaning of 'status quo', but anyway let me elaborate.

No not really status quo. Not for the whole LFC.

Not just as geo noted all blue/black/green in LFC but also all CLASS A personnel.

That's the difference you see CLASS A. IMHO

The previous CLASS A (LFC) standard was an Expres test before a course (esp PLQ) and before substantive promotion. I am sure units/areas  perhaps even trades had the BFT built in. I believe FTUC/RSS were still held to their RegForce Standard, LFC wide.

This CANLANDGEN means all CLASS A (clerks, infanteers, cooks, sappers, jimmies, mp's, medtechs, herbies, truckers, zipperheads...) will have to do a BFT. That in and of itself is reasonably radical...

Of course some will fail twice, do the Expres test and get a pat on the head.... just waiting for this one to work it's way through...

Next...CIL ?

The Librarian said:
Your above test has been the status quo here for 2 years now. March, carry, and trench dig. Two attempts to pass...or off to the land of the Express test.
Really? - Have been in an Area puzzle palace (in my 3rd year) and while I have seen others doing 13 Km Trg,  the HQ staff haven`t.  There were a number of "flabergasted" Blue & Black types (who joined the JTF East throughout 2006) who are looking a little stunned (like deer illuminated by a fast moving car's headlights)

cplcaldwell said:
<pre-edit - in aniticipation of C&P  ;D > Sorry Librarian you got in under me, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I see your meaning of 'status quo', but anyway let me elaborate.

No not really status quo. Not for the whole LFC.

Not just as geo noted all blue/black/green in LFC but also all CLASS A personnel.

That's the difference you see CLASS A. IMHO

The previous CLASS A (LFC) standard was an Expres test before a course (esp PLQ) and before substantive promotion. I am sure units/areas  perhaps even trades had the BFT built in. I believe FTUC/RSS were still held to their RegForce Standard, LFC wide.

This CANLANDGEN means all CLASS A (clerks, infanteers, cooks, sappers, jimmies, mp's, medtechs, herbies, truckers, zipperheads...) will have to do a BFT. That in and of itself is reasonably radical...

Of course some will fail twice, do the Expres test and get a pat on the head.... just waiting for this one to work it's way through...

Next...CIL ?

Let me be clear in my post...status quo.

Your points ref the Class A personnel being required to do this test is maintaining the status quo standard that was announced prior to the release of this particular CANLANDGEN. All this message does is re-iterate the changes that were already announced, as this CANLANDGEN points out in it's opening para. My emphasis added.

REFS: A. DAOD 5023-2 PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM 08 MAY 06
B. CDS CANFORGEN 087/06 CMP 040 081835 MAY 06

C. LFCO 24-2, PHYSICAL FITNESS MAY 1997
D. B-GL-382-003/PT-001, ARMY FITNESS MANUAL 1 MAR 2004
1. BACKGROUND. REFS A AND B DIRECT ALL CF REG AND PRIMARY RESERVE PERS TO BE FITNESS EVALUATED ANNUALLY. THE ANNUAL FITNESS TESTING OF CL A RESERVE PERS REPRESENTS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT CHANGE AND REF C, LFCO 24-02, WILL BE REVISED TO INCORPORATE CHANGES.

So is this message announcing new Fitness policy standards for Class A personnel? No it's not. The new policies were released and addressed via refs A and refs B as quoted above. When nothing is changing, I call it "maintaining the status quo."

I am quite sure that CANFORGEN 097/06 is posted on this site in another thread already, and the mandatory testing of all Class A pers in LFC posns was addressed at that time as well.

Geo,

Not only have all 3 requirements been a part of our Fitness test for the past 3 FYs, but the trench dig also made it's way into our Branch Chain of Command Relay at Sports Day this year. I ended up doing that 2 days in a row, you think they'll exempt me from the dig next year?  ;D

Don't you get "dirt" (or pea gravel) under an NSN ?

WRT to the Class A types, the Express test was applied immediately to those going on Cl C, Cl B +180 days & those recommended for promotion.  Express test was to be worked into the remainder of the Reserves (militia) - being implemented in the 07/08 FY.  (so only status quo in the context that express test was to be applied this coming year) 

Regardless, many reserve (militia) units have been applying the 13 Km aka "backbreaker") for quite some time - but not in an official category

cplcaldwell said:
Next...CIL ?

Well a new Fitness Standard is in the work for the CIC, but I'd be more than happy to have this one applied to us as well.  It simple in its concept, and something that we may actually be required to do (well except the Trench Dig, not part of the cadet program at this point).  I say bring it on.

So, no disagreement here with the policy here, but I will like to see the Supplementary Guidance that is coming for Class A types IAW Para 3, last sentence.  Work-up trng every weekly Trng night for X weeks and then conduct the 13km?

We used to just show up, ruck up, and go back in the early 90's, not sure if that will be "allowed". 

Not wanting to be the party-pooper, but this reminds me of when the Warrior run, sans 3.2km FFO timed "event" (not everyone ran it... ;D).  That lasted a year or two? and then was axed for Class A pers for some liability reason (i.e. appropriate time couldn't be given for work-up trng? or something like that) and we did all the Warrior program exempt 3.2km FFO.

Let's hope this sticks this time. 

geo said:
Don't you get "dirt" (or pea gravel) under an NSN ?

Geo,

I don't order it for the test, I just get to shovel it!!  ;D

It does in fact have an NSN, but is non-stocked; rather LPOd from a civilian supplier.

Mud Recce Man said:
So, no disagreement here with the policy here, but I will like to see the Supplementary Guidance that is coming for Class A types IAW Para 3, last sentence.  Work-up trng every weekly Trng night for X weeks and then conduct the 13km?

Hopefully this comes with funding or an understanding that, without funding, other training events may have to be cancelled.

Mud Recce Man said:
We used to just show up, ruck up, and go back in the early 90's, not sure if that will be "allowed". 

There's a form which has to be completed prior to the LFCPFS as noted in para 5 of the CANLANDGEN.  According to para 5 of the instructions on this new form, "The LFCPFS evaluation will only be attempted by personnel who have participated in an approved physical fitness-training programme."

The CO, or an officer delegated by the CO, will have to personally authorize it.

As this is a CDS / CLS directive, funding should be provided

geo said:
As this is a CDS / CLS directive, funding should be provided

The operative word in your statement is "should".  Look back over the years and count how many "directives" have been issued for implementation without accompanying funding.

I hope you're right!

at the unit Im transfering eventulay...some day...in a near future....to a close to be date...perharps....

They are training with ruck sack march every wensday evening... is it un official training or does it count? it does not matter they are doing it.

they started slow....increasing gradually the disdance, and the weigh...first they had no ruck....you get the picture...

I think its great.

nsmedicman said:
Is there a time limit for the ruck march?

Yes.  Most strive for 2 hr. 10 min.  I believe the required time limit is 2 hr 20 min.

[EDIT:  See next reply for correction in time and source.]

Back