• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Rhabdomyolysis & INTENSE PHYSICAL EXERCISE OR EXTREME CONDITIONING PROGRAMS (ECP S)

AgentSmith said:
I'm kind of confused. Does this just mean Crossfit won't be a part of unit PT (since it's not endorsed by PSP) and can we still do Crossfit on our own time?

My advice to my unit when I read this to them was to seek professional advice and work into it slowly. We have a certified cross fit instructor in our unit.

Jim Seggie said:
My advice to my unit when I read this to them was to seek professional advice and work into it slowly. We have a certified cross fit instructor in our unit.

Not saying this is your scenario Jim, but I know at least one 'certified' CrossFit instructor who isn't worth the ink on her cert. Any goomba can be a 'certified' instructor, it's just a matter of finding a good one.

I strongly support CrossFit. I think it's a great way to stay in shape or get in shape, and personal adjustments can be made when dealing with injury or if one just does not feel like going 'hard' on a given day.

I've been trying to stay out of this but can't anymore...there have been some serious cases of rhabdomyolysis I've seen over the years and well before the advent of CrossFit - they were simply as a result of poor supervision +/- lack of maturity on part of supervisors and sometimes lack of fitness on part of victims during all sorts of fitness events...BFT's, runs in high heat and humidity without proper hydration, silly people starting back into weight training at the levels they were doing it previously after a long hiatus, etc, ad nauseum.  Any kind of high intensity exercise, and by that, I mean for the person actually doing it, can cause sufficient muscle breakdown to clog up your kidneys, especially if they're not hydrating properly...I can think of one in recent memory from a BFT who was ill enough to miss some work after spending a day in the ER hooked up to an IV and another from a run that resulted in them being in ICU for a month due to renal failure. 

In the end, it comes down to the Command Teams being attuned to who is properly trained to lead a PT session and ensuring that, especially if they're new to it, are themselves supervised.  There are courses out there to properly prepare PTI's for units...people have got to start using those assets more.

:2c:

MM

One of the larger arguements when in discussion with people about this issue seems to be that CrossFit as a company, only cares about profit.  I think CrossFit is being confused with Insanity and P90X.  CrossFit is not trying to sell you workout DVDs or the workout itself.  All of CrossFit's information on how to start up, how important it is to scale your workouts as you get used to the training programs and all of their workout information is free at the CrossFit Journal and crossfit.com . 

Once again we are seeing the results from the actions of the few affecting the many.  This is the same way IR and posting benefits get changed, because people don't take the time to educate themselves on how things are supposed to be properly done, abuse themselves or the system and we all suffer for it in the long run.

I can proudly say I am more fit than 95% of the force because of CrossFit and if they want to charge me for it, they will have to catch me first, if they can ;)

Chernoble said:
I can proudly say I am more fit than 95% of the force because of CrossFit and if they want to charge me for it, they will have to catch me first, if they can ;)

Good for you . Has anyone told you that you would be charged?

I dn't believe I have seen a ban on Cross Fit.

Jim Seggie said:
I dn't believe I have seen a ban on Cross Fit.

There isn't one. Some people just have not developed the ability to read that's all.

I think any discussion on letting people know about potential injuries in anything they do is important.  However, I think that a CANFORGEN might not be the best way to inform the entire CF.  Sometimes this info doesn’t get down to the lowest levels.  The US has done some great research on ECP’s and Crossfit had rebutted with some strong arguments.  (See link below)

Is Crossfit safe?  Sure.  Can you get injured doing all sorts of PT?  Sure.  I’ve been doing Crossfit since ’07 and did my cert in San Diego in ’08.  The supporting documents in the CANFORGEN reference three cases beginning in March ’12.  I can tell you that the base was CFB Borden.  I know this because I was the first case.  Given my particular situation at that time, and looking back, I pushed myself too hard. (It happened at a local affiliate and on my own time)  What saved me from dialysis was the fact that I recognized the symptoms and went to the MIR and asked for a CK test.     

Here are some information both for and against Crossfit as Military PT:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ_Champ_ALL_007.pdf

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ_111200_Bergeron_Champ.pdf

PM if you want more details.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but by stating that ECPs are not endorsed by PSP, the CANFORGEN is basically saying that if you are hurt doing this stuff you will not be covered. Right?

Just like extreme obstacle races, MMA and some other things that a lot of the troops are into now - without permission from the CoC you are not protected if injured.

signalsguy said:
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but by stating that ECPs are not endorsed by PSP, the CANFORGEN is basically saying that if you are hurt doing this stuff you will not be covered. Right?

Just like extreme obstacle races, MMA and some other things that a lot of the troops are into now - without permission from the CoC you are not protected if injured.

I think you are reading into it wayyyyy to much.  CA has already pointed out the use of the words "Should" & "Shall". 

He has pointed that out, but it is already becoming apparent is that this CANFORGEN will be misconstrued by others, either accidentally or deliberately, that ECP's including CrossFit are bad and need to be avoided.  I think that the wording and language of this CANFORGEN was poorly chosen, in addition to what has already been stated by myself and a few others, that it does not hold leadership and CofC culpable for their actions and or inactions.  The problem isn't the program itself, its people. 

Back