• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

DAA said:
I am sure there are many Reg F pers out there who joined under this program which are not being credited with the additional year of service and documentation on the Pers File may be a tad bit thin....

My YTEP info is on my CF 1007 and I also have a form for the calculation of my pensionable time which includes it as well.

PMedMoe said:
My YTEP info is on my CF 1007 and I also have a form for the calculation of my pensionable time which includes it as well.

If you were a YTEP, how did you get a 1007 when you didn't belong to any Reserve Unit that would normally issue these?  The form for Pensionable Service (CFSA 100) is only for pension purposes and is not reflective of actual time served but rather "pensionable time served".

DAA said:
If you were a YTEP, how did you get a 1007 when you didn't belong to any Reserve Unit that would normally issue these?  The form for Pensionable Service (CFSA 100) is only for pension purposes and is not reflective of actual time served but rather "pensionable time served".

I was a YTEP, then Reg, then Res, then Reg again (yeah, I know, complicated...).  The other form (to me) is just "additional" proof of service as one of the dates on the 1007 is cut off.  Not to mention, my MPRR states BMQ was finished in January 1987.  I will be bringing all of those for my reassessment.

dapaterson said:
You are eligible for your PRes time.  The paperwork was generated based on your start date with the Reg F due to the way the CF's personnel databases are structured.

Your unit/ship OR should be able to assist - you'll likely need them to run off a copy of your Reserve MPRR.  They should have instructions on setting up temporary dockets for pers in your situation.

Thanks a lot for the info.  Now I can properly inform my clerk.

Thanks again

My biggest question still remains what is to be done about the non-eligible time in the form of a break in service.

My example.
Reg Force - 2.5 years, 4(c) release on 31 October 2004, return of contributions given but no severance due to not meeting the time in criteria
Component Transfer to the PRes that didn't take effect until 08 November 2004.

So basically I'm wondering if that break of 8 days is going to leave my RegF time as not being eligible for the pay in lieu?

Yes, the 8 day break will render the prior service an ineligible - unless you were transferred to the Supp Res as an interim measure.

If you were on the Supp Res for those 8 days your prior Reg F service would count, but your 8 days of Supp Res time would not.

I'd still recommend checking with your unit's OR, though, in case any aditional information has been pushed down that I haven't seen.

So, word in today ...

If any of you are paying back any overpayments for claims etc, owing taxes to the province or the feds, in arrears for child support, garnishee etc ... (even if you have an agreement/authorization to deduct from pay over X amount of time)

this will be deducted from your PiL if you choose to cash in any/all severance now. It will be deducted in-whole (if your PiL covers the entire amount) or partially if your PiL only covers part of it (ie: you'll see ZERO) and it will still continue to count as income for the year. Previous agreements for installment payments are moot.

Something to be very aware of when making your election if the shoe fits.

I think I have one troop who can therefore expect to get back $1.99 if he cashes in now ...  >:D (kidding ... )

A friend of mine said he attended a SISIP brief where they told him those with reserve time could wait up to 4 years to see the money.  Anyone else hear this?

Lone Wolf AT said:
A friend of mine said he attended a SISIP brief where they told him those with reserve time could wait up to 4 years to see the money.  Anyone else hear this?

If its anything like the Res Pension buyback, I'd believe it.

Ouch, indeed.  ::)  Happy (Army) Reserve Recognition Day!

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107718.25.html

Lone Wolf AT said:

Merely speculation at this point in time, as we won't really know, until the time comes.  Nevertheless, you have to take into consideration that the entitlement will have to be "verified" based on a request for PIL, so it could take time to track down supporting documentation to confirm the numbers.

Should be interesting.....

dapaterson said:
You are eligible for your PRes time.  The paperwork was generated based on your start date with the Reg F due to the way the CF's personnel databases are structured.

Your unit/ship OR should be able to assist - you'll likely need them to run off a copy of your Reserve MPRR.  They should have instructions on setting up temporary dockets for pers in your situation.

Hopefully this info will make it out to all the units... where I am we are hearing that Reserve time doesn't count for the severance pay.. or if it does you need 10+ years in the Reserves.

-Skeletor- said:
Hopefully this info will make it out to all the units... where I am we are hearing that Reserve time doesn't count for the severance pay.. or if it does you need 10+ years in the Reserves.

Obviously someone in your area didn't read the regulation.  :facepalm:

How does this work if you received the reserve retirement gratuity? I transfered from the res to the reg 1.5 years ago. Unbroken service with 11 years in the res. I didnt "elect" anything at the time of my release from the res but subsequently received a retirement gratuity cheque. I am pretty sure this precludes me from counting that service towards the severance pay? Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thanks.

PhilB said:
How does this work if you received the reserve retirement gratuity? I transfered from the res to the reg 1.5 years ago. Unbroken service with 11 years in the res. I didnt "elect" anything at the time of my release from the res but subsequently received a retirement gratuity cheque. I am pretty sure this precludes me from counting that service towards the severance pay? Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thanks.

That "Gratuity Cheque" is just that; a gratuity.  It has no affect on your time served or the amount of time that you would have to buy back.  I elected to buy back Reserve time and had all the calculations, etc. done and was already paying back before I received my "Gratuity Cheque". 

thanks for the quick reply. So what your saying is that regardless of whether I received the gratuity, as long as my service is unbroken, all of my reserve time can and should be counted towards my severance calculation?

/rumour alert

My SOR is informing our members that the CFSP eligible service criteria is going to change - to the effect that the PRes member will only get accounted for Class B/C time (Like the COATS, CIC members currently do).  I've re-read the CANFORGEN, CBI 204.40 and the relevant DGCB references - nothing there to indicate a rewrite is in process.  I'm hoping that my admin staff simply got duff-Gen from the meeting in Ottawa.  If other admin members could confirm or deny this rumour...  They say that a new CANFORGEN will come out soon to reflect these changes.

??

Zoomie said:
My SOR is informing our members that the CFSP eligible service criteria is going to change - to the effect that the PRes member will only get accounted for Class B/C time (Like the COATS, CIC members currently do).

I've stopped trusting ORs who have "information" before its formerly released. If all the stuff out of there was true from their rumour mill, LDA would have disappeared 2 years ago. If its not written down, its not true.

I received a letter from the CF about Payment in Lieu of CF Severance Pay and they have counted 1.56 years or 1 year and 205 days which does not include my 3 years in the reserves. Is my reserve time not counted because I had to release from the reserves to join the reg force or is due to lack of time in the reserves?

Thank You

Back