• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN 97/08 LDA FAQs

Eye In The Sky said:
So, following that line of thinking, if my pay doesn't go in on the 15th, and I can't make my car payment, my CoC would then say "you should know better than to rely on your pay being in the bank on time to pay your bills".

???

In the late 90s there was just that situation: pay statements were distributed to Reservists, then the DFT failed to go through (human error) - but the folks still getting cheques instead of DFT got paid (of course, in the middle of the thrust to get people to switch to direct deposit, but that's another story).

And when someone asked for compensation for a few bounced cheques, he was told, basically, that it was his own fault for trusting DND/CF.

CountDC said:
uh oh - the dreaded allotments enter the picture.

May not be the answer for car payments.  Sometimes the financing is not through an insitution we can make EFT to (went through that myself).  Even if we can make the transfer your payment date may not correspond to the EFT date (end month) so you may have to pay a hefty penalty to have the payment date changed.  Some used to get around it by setting up an allotment to their bank account but we are not allowed to set it up to the same account your pay is going into. DND is trying to get away as much as possible from doing allotments thus newer rules restricting them are added often - eventually you may not even be able to get an allotment.  Not like the old days when the guys would bring in all their bills and we set up allotments for everything.

I know.  My car payments right now are twice monthly and do not correspond with the pay periods at all.  However, there is always the option of opening up another bank account and sending the allotment there to ensure you don't spend the money.

If I was a clerk and someone wanted to make allotments for all their bills, I'd advise them to see a financial counselor.  Better they get used to managing their money earlier than later.

But, back on topic: I still have no sympathy for the guy.  But then again, I'm not a very sympathetic person.  ;D

PMedMoe said:
I know.  My car payments right now are twice monthly and do not correspond with the pay periods at all.  However, there is always the option of opening up another bank account and sending the allotment there to ensure you don't spend the money.
best thing to do - I did it for all my bills, set up equal payment plans and then went online to my bank account and set it to auto pay the bills just in case the ship sailed unexpectedly.

quote author=PMedMoe link=topic=83891/post-832574#msg832574 date=1239302748]
If I was a clerk and someone wanted to make allotments for all their bills, I'd advise them to see a financial counselor.  Better they get used to managing their money earlier than later.
[/quote]
Not a bad idea though you would have to be careful - some people would take offence so you would have to be sure your COC was going to back you.

quote author=PMedMoe link=topic=83891/post-832574#msg832574 date=1239302748]
But, back on topic: I still have no sympathy for the guy.  But then again, I'm not a very sympathetic person.  ;D
[/quote]
Funny - I have been accused of the same thing - probably because I tend to ask "is anyone going to die? no - then it's not a priority, I'll get to it when I get to it". Of course the odd person will try the "it may be you if it doesn't get done" and then drop it when I point out that if I die then it will take even longer to get done as there is no one else to do it.

PMedMoe said:
CountDC said:
Not a bad idea though you would have to be careful - some people would take offence so you would have to be sure your COC was going to back you.

Since I'm not a clerk, no worries there.  However, if the COC wasn't going to back me, I'd ask to be excused from SISIP briefings and from having to DAG through them as well.  ;)

nextinline2411 said:
I also found this located in the CANFORGEN :

205.33(6) (Start and End Dates) Entitlement to Land Duty Allowance starts on the day on which the member reports for duty and ends on the earliest day on which the member:

(a) departs the unit as defined in CBI 205.015;
(b) is assigned a permanent medical category with medical employment limitation indicating unfit field environment;
(c) begins retirement leave;
(d) is posted to the Service Personnel Holding List;
(e) sick leave is extended for more than 180 days; or
(f) is subject to paragraph 3, attach posted in excess of 6 months.

So according to the CANFORGEN...TCAT members should get the LDA.
so why does my pay not reflect that?  any suggestions?

Remember currently it's not the fact that one is one PCat or TCat, it is the MEL that is assigned to it, as stated in sub-para b in the quoted post. There are hundreds of serving members on both TCat and PCats that do not exclude them from deploying operationally. The hiccup right now is that apparently the med staff is not allowed to put "unfit field" on a chit or category. They now have to say "unfit military operational enviornment." The barrack block lawyers are having a field day with this as their chits say "unfit military operational enviornment" and NOT "unfit field", so they think they are entitled according to the wording in the CANFORGEN. Most reasonable people can realize the meaning and intent, however some of the other "keeners" keep finding a way to tweek the system. Thank goodness we have them to keep us on our toes... ::)
Still waiting for mine. Dang TCat is holding me up........

how far back to they go to calculate your base rate for this? I did 5 yrs in 1 rcr while they were in london..if I get posted to 427 in pet, do those 5 yrs count to my points?

If your talking LDA, they calculate points from the first time you were in a field unit.  For me Dec of 97.

Lone Wolf AT said:
If your talking LDA, they calculate points from the first time you were in a field unit.  For me Dec of 97.

yep, sorry, that's what i meant. 1 RCR london is not on the list as they are now in pet. Not sure if they have the same uic or not, guess i can check my 490 and compare.

I am not a clerk so can't say for sure but I don't see why RCR London or PPCLI Calgary would not count.  Reg Force field unit.

Does anyone know if the long awaited decision from higher has been made? I am currently away from work and can't check on things......Something was supposed to come down the pipe mid Mayish......

combatbuddha,

I was injured on the last roto overseas, will be going to TCAT this August. I've been told by my orderly room that my LDA will be halted, so I guess this has not been figured out yet.

Friend of mine just got retained without restriction after being on a PCAT since 2002. After he won his right to stay in the CF, he received all of his LDA points and subsequently the backpay to 1 Apr 07. I'm not sure how he accomplished that, but I won't argue the free beer he's buying.

Has anyone seen any movement on this issue? I have yet to find anyone who can show me paperwork/policy that states those on TCAT will have their field pay withheld.

I didn't mind this at first, but after many month's this is starting to add up to a big chunk of change which could be earning me interest in my savings account.

Just an update for anyone still asking questions on this, below is the very useful (and official) webpate for all matters LDA.

It has the original list of what units were included, as well as updates of other units that have been added to the list:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/all-ind/mnd-pce/index-eng.asp

I seen the back dating listing more refer to Reg Force units.. but does the schools in Gagetown get it? example LFAATC Gagetown (L33) I spent a good amount of time in the field there, or I was pushing a broom.  ;D

I miss T10 still..

Your thoughts,
Regards,
TN2IC

You were pushing a broom.  Schools don't get LDA

Now, if you were a base MP riding doughnut shotgun for a few speed traps, etc, then LDA would be all yours.

Yeah,

I noticed the schools were still getting shafted in the updated listing; you'd think someone would have sorted that situation out by now.

It's funny how alot the people that actually spend field time in the field in Gagetown don't qualify for LDA...if it makes sense, we do the opposite ::).

MM

True story:
Once upon a time, in the field in Gagetown, some troops were found with narcotics.  The Military Police (LDA unit) were called by the School (Non-LDA unit) to come to Blissville or Petersville or whereeverville to conduct the on-scene investigation.  The MPs replied that they wouldn't be able to come to the field. 

Now, I know that it's not "field pay", but...

Back