• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cancun Vacation Recommendations

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Just as the title infers, I am looking for any input, recommendations, or suggestions for a vacation in Cancun.  I'm taking my daughter for March Break.  I think she's been watching Real World too much.  ::)

What I'm looking for is an all inclusive type of resort.  Not a couples (or even adults) only as they seem to only cater to couples.  Family-oriented is okay, but nothing for kids too young; my daughter is 18.  We are planning to go on approx 28 Feb for one week.  Departure preferably from Ottawa.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Along the main drag area, or a little distance away?

I have stayed at the Grand Mayan and bought into El Cid, both along the Mayan Riviera. The Grand Mayan probably has an all-inclusive deal, El Cid is exclusively that. Your odds of getting into those so late are most likely not terribly good though.

Gran Bahia Principe Tulum. It's collocated with 2 other Gran Bahia Principe resorts: the Coba and the Akumal. I spent a spring break there 2 years ago. The resort is all-inclusive, beautiful location, close to Cozumel, Cancun and Xel-Ha. The rooms were quite large and comfortable, with balconies. The trip paid for itself with the amount of food and drink available.

For me - when I was there at 17 years old - with unlimited food, included alcohol, the use of Hobie 16s, and 24 snack bars, I was in heaven. (FWIW, I didn't sail inebriated) I had no problems meeting up with other kids my age. After spending just a day there I met a large group of kids up from Chicago with their families and a smaller group from the interior of BC. There was also a "club" that the guests from all 3 Gran Bahia resorts could go to. I would go back there in a heart beat.

http://www.iceportal.com/brochures/ice/Brochure.aspx?did=2159&brochureid=92&type=pic

http://www.resortvacationstogo.com/Hotel/Crown_Paradise_Club_Cancun.html#

They also have a Club Jetix (Teen bar) on-site; non-alcoholic ... disco-type bar ... 6pm til 1 am. One of my girlfriends took her two kids here (16 & 18) & they had a blast, but I can't speak from any personal experience. But they had all kinds of stuff to do daily.

Vern

As mentioned by PM, all right-thinking people will be vacationing here  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
Just as the title infers, I am looking for any input, recommendations, or suggestions for a vacation in Cancun.  I'm taking my daughter for March Break.  I think she's been watching Real World too much.  ::)

What I'm looking for is an all inclusive type of resort.  Not a couples (or even adults) only as they seem to only cater to couples.  Family-oriented is okay, but nothing for kids too young; my daughter is 18.  We are planning to go on approx 28 Feb for one week.  Departure preferably from Ottawa.

Just a heads up for you, Cancun is probably the most popular vacation spot for college kids during Spring Break to drink and party... You may want to think of another location for a family vacation.

ONT said:
Just a heads up for you, Cancun is probably the most popular vacation spot for college kids during Spring Break to drink and party... You may want to think of another location for a family vacation.
Yeah, I know.  As I said, the location is not really my choice.  ;)  I think if I try to book away from the main drag, we might be okay.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

PMedMoe said:
Yeah, I know.  As I said, the location is not really my choice.  ;)  I think if I try to book away from the main drag, we might be okay.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Some of the resorts don't allow "spring breakers" to stay; I know the one that I posted is one of those. My girlfriend chose it for that reason, but she said they could still travel onto the main beach to see all the drunken tards at work if they wanted to!! LOL.

PMedMoe said:
Just as the title infers, I am looking for any input, recommendations, or suggestions for a vacation in Cancun.

Take me with you!  8)

I had a fantastic experience on my honeymoon this February at the Grand Sirenis  Riviera Maya - http://www.grandsirenisrivieramaya.com/ - and would happily recommend it based on the super clean facilities, gargantuan rooms, good food, lively entertainment and absolutely amazing snorkeling beach right at the resort. It is not right in Cancun however, but about 2 hours south.

One thing we did there which blew me aways was the swimming with Dolphin gig. It was my wife's idea, and I didn't want to blow the dough for it, but I'm glad she talked me into it. Those little buggers are so amazing to be with. I would encourage you to forgo some of the usual tourist traps to make this trip if it's in the cards for you. We went to a place called Delphinus, which is a bit of a rescue/ refuge centre for dolphins too. You'll be a hero.

Celticgirl said:
Take me with you!  8)

Oh I'm pretty sure that there's no room left in her suitcase for you after she's stuffed me in.  8)

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Palldium Riviera Resort and Spa in the Mayan Riviera this pas October for our honeymoon.  Great food, great entertainment, and the staff seem genuinely happy to be there.  Its quite a large resort, (stay at one play at four), but they have a trolley system in place that shuttles all around the resort.  The proximity to the ruins at Chichen Itza is great too, and you can book half day or full day excursions to go see it.  This chain of resorts has even inspired a fan site (www.palladiumaddict.net), which i found to be a great source of info before I went.  Saw lots of families at this one, and they dont welcome typical "spring breakers" from what I understand.

We have not been in the area for twenty-odd years, but an abiding memory is of the spectacular Mayan ruin at Tulum. It is on a hill overlooking the sea and the combination of colours is amazing. I gather the Akumal area is heavily developed now, but I tend to support the recommendations of the area, if for no other reason than fond memories.

Celticgirl said:
Take me with you!  8)
ArmyVern said:
Oh I'm pretty sure that there's no room left in her suitcase for you after she's stuffed me in.  8)
I think I'm gonna need a bigger suitcase.......    ;)

Hi

I have been there a few times and my favorite place is a little south from cancun, Playa Del Carmen. Very nice town with lots of things to do! Do not forget to SCUBA Dive, go to cozumel, visit the ruins and visit some cenotes!

If you want information on diving, you can PM me...

Have fun!

Thank you to all for your suggestions.  I was off sick Monday and Tuesday and was checking out all the different places.  I was doing my usual "background check" on Trip Advisor but I guess I just got tired of looking and finally booked at the Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa right in Cancun.  It's a five-star resort, so I don't think partying university students will be an issue.  My daughter and her friend (who was invited to join us) are both quite excited.  So am I!!!

Back