• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadien Army Size?

Let's look at population size and military size of both countries.

With Reg and Res force, Canada has roughly 80,000 troops.
The same with the USA, 2,500,000 troops. (just a rough figure)

Now, Canada has about 32 Million people, the USA has about 310 million.
The percentage of the population in the forces for Canada is 0.0025%
The percentage of the Population for the forces in USA is 0.0081%

With those #'s, that is about 3 times the amount per capita.  If we had the same amount per capita in the forces here in Canada, we would have 250,000 + - troops serving.  I doubt our country would ever get to that; if we had another 30,000 troops, that would be great.  I'm just hoping Martin will do a few things for the forces, but it's unlikely he will do much.

The question that we should be asking is how many combat ready troops does Canada have? If we put all the combat arms together what size force would we have. That is the number that counts. Strip away the two other branches from that 52 000 and what are we left with? Now take away the CSS trades and NDHQ, how big a sharp end do we have?

I bet it is about 10% of the Forces.

Anyone out there with the "real" numbers?

The Armour is running around 2,000 all ranks.  Take away the officers on ERE and we have about 1,600.

I thought That the Infantry were running somewhere around 6,000, but I'm not 100% sure.

I really don't want to hazard a guess for the Artillery or Engineers.......

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_6_3.asp

Direct from the Army site, although it hasn't been updated in over a year.

Approximate strength of Army (Regular Force):  19, 500
Approximate strength of Army (Reserve Force): 15, 500
Approximate number of civilians employed by the Army: 4, 200

The numbers seem small, but they are probably better then some of the guesses here.

It's hard to find out because of this damned combined elements, so the numbers are skewed.

US Army (info from http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/military/jan-june04/army_1-13.html)

Currently, there are 499,000 active duty Army troops, backed up by 700,000 National Guard and Army reservists.

Taken from a news site so take it with a grain of salt. An of course that doesn't even begin to touch the Navy(an their Marines) an the Air Force.

brneil said:
I happened to take leave at Christmas and went down to Disneyworld.   It was interesting to learn that there are 3000 more employees for Disneyworld than we have in the Forces.   Gives a twisted kind of perspective.
CFL said:
^^^^
Is this guy for real.  Hey dude put down SOCOM for PS2.
first, that is insane about the disney numbers, i'm been there quite a few times and i never thought there would be that many people working there, haha.
and second, socom is a great game, haha. owning them americans is what i do best, WOO

ok, i'm done

damn..I had no ideawe had so few people in the armed forces..I thought it was around 66,000 without reserves..idiot friend of mine said we have 33,000 with reserves and the U.S. has 30 million people in it's armed forces..yea..

Gunner said:
Geez, don't you know by now that size doesn't matter?    ;D

You're right, but what you do with it does matter, and we're not getting many points on that front recently either  :p

A good indicator of the dominance of the US military is what they expect of their navy:

1)  Fight an intensive naval campain against one major power and win decisively;
2)  Engage and aggressively push back two other powers; and
3)  Conduct operations to deny free naval access against four other powers.

ALL SIMULTANEOUSLY

Before the 80s (when there army was reduced from 24 to 12 divisions) they were prepared to fight 2 1/2 high intensity wars (ie, Soviets in Germany and N Korea on the peninsula).  I guess they're only capable of 1 1/2 or 2, now....

Back