• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians view Armed Forces personnel as 65% Trustworthy...

Bah just a little poll. I think we stand pretty high up there... if you are going to attach any value to this poll.
The other 45% probably think we don't even have a military, so of course we aren't trustworthy to them. How can you trust something that doesn't exist?
Just think how it must feel to read this poll and be a car salesman.  ;D

IMO there will always be people who can't stand the concept of people with more power than them, whether it be the police, military or a librarian (no offence, Vern  ;D )
HQ9'er, I have a strong suspicion that you have misquoted your "friend".  Some of what you posted is simply inaccurate, and the rest sounds like someone who is a ramped up wannabe that isn't really on the job.  Officers powers are just a tool to keep order in society.  Is there potential for abuse?  Probably.  But by and large anyone who "asks" to be fed tickets, charges or an introduction to the City pedestrian infrastructure generally does it in a very insistant way.  We are a customer service driven industry.  What the customer wants, the customer usually gets.  If you happen to indicate "There is no way that I will be in any way satisfied with my policing experience until you issue me $500 worth of tickets" then who am I to deny you your requested endstate? 
As for the military stat in the poll, look to see that get climb even higher the more nation building success we force onto the MSM. 

career_radio-checker said:
Bah just a little poll. I think we stand pretty high up there... if you are going to attach any value to this poll.
The other 45% probably think we don't even have a military, so of course we aren't trustworthy to them. How can you trust something that doesn't exist?
Just think how it must feel to read this poll and be a car salesman.  ;D

Hmmm...adding problem?  I believe we scored 65%... how did you get "the other 45%"? 

Or are you refering to a different occupation?  ???

Centurian1985 said:
Hmmm...adding problem?  I believe we scored 65%... how did you get "the other 45%"? 

Or are you refering to a different occupation?   ???

I'm in political science, okay?! I burned my math books after grade 12 and haven't looked back.
I have used one of those calculamator thingies and found out it was 35% so sorry. I was wrong. :-[

Just clarifying.  You might have been refering to another job and got the numbers mixed up. 

As I am not without sin in the 'error' department so I dont intend to throw any stones your way...  ;D

I wonder if people would change their vote if they understood the dispensing errors pharmacists can make?

A 1999 Massachusetts investigation suggested that 4% of prescriptions dispensed in community pharmacies (2.4 million) contained errors, 88% involving the wrong drug or strength.[14] Another study found that 3.2% of outpatient prescriptions contained major errors.[15] In a 1997 survey of 206 community pharmacists, half of respondents reported making a dispensing error in the last 2 months.[16] http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/409721_print

Even more interesting is the delination of occupations that either are armed, charge for services rendered above minimum wage (fees and/or commission sales) or have the ability to limit or restrict liberties from those occupations which have their fees covered by insurance, state plans or charge at a minimum wage (or close to it). 

well..... we've got the politicians beat by a whole bunch....

youravatar said:
It's because we have the firepower!

.....and that has what to do with the topic at hand?

Regards

hotelquebec9er said:
I just can't seem to get ahead on this board.  

Please, how does one *not* find a shovel around here

Lets face it, for all outward appearances, you definitely took a swipe at LEO's. But giving you the benefit of the doubt, lets say it was unintentional.

Just read and reread, sometime the fingers type what looks good but not what the brain is thinking. Before pushing that post-button.

Cheers.

All right,

Now that we are all getting along again...

I like cops and I trust them. They are human just like the rest of us (including librarians). Polls are often misleading can often miscontrue the facts and actual feelings of persons.

For all you LEOs out there,

You do a good job, keep it up!!

As for the CF, we do our best too. Keep it up!!

Edited to correct my typo. Librarians sometimes have a hard time spelling librarian. Thanks Shamrock!!  :D

lint said:
its polls such as this that really make you question the validity of on-line polls
I just wanted to emphasis this. *Any* online poll with over a hundred people, is almost guaranteed to be rigged in some way by a voter (someone voting at home and at work, for instance). If this internet poll is to be displayed on national television or in a major newspaper or website, this poll *will* be rigged. Ever since CNN started broadcasting online polls and making editorial choices based on voting, there have been bot networks designed to sway this. All major networks have followed believing it to be a more accurate sampling of the interested population. The problem being, of course, the demographics of the internet do not represent society accurately, so even if it was a fair one person one vote poll, it would still be unrepresentative. I would say that the poll represents the active readership on this particular site who may be wishing to put forth their anti-authority (a higher percentage on the internet) and "anti-war" (also higher) beliefs, rather than a specific view of the Canadian Armed Forces or the RCMP. It's sad to see so many supposedly seasoned and trained journalists putting credibility and authority to a mechanism which naturally has none.

Dare said:
The problem being, of course, the demographics of the internet do not represent society accurately, so even if it was a fair one person one vote poll, it would still be unrepresentative.

I would have to agree with that...

Back