• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians view Armed Forces personnel as 65% Trustworthy...

hotelquebec9er

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070122.wrespect0122/BNStory/Business/home

Firefighters get 93%, car salespeople and national politicians get 7%.  An interesting comparison can be made with police, who scored 69%.

You would think an organization designed to protect our freedom and way of life would score higher than the guy who hands out speeding tickets and can take away your freedoms  :rage:

Playing devils advocate here but cannot a member of the military as well take your freedom away during Aid to Civil Power Ops? As well I have recieved speeding tickets from MPs as well as civillian police....

Considering we went over the halfway mark and are just behind teachers and ahead of daycare workers (both occupations that look after our children) I think is very telling. Grow up you're looking for issues where there isn't any...

its polls such as this that really make you question the validity of on-line polls

hotelquebec9er said:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070122.wrespect0122/BNStory/Business/home
than the guy who hands out speeding tickets and can take away your freedoms  :rage:

DING DING DING............dumb comment of the day week award.

YOU decide to get a speeding ticket or to have your freedom taken away......................and thats a judge that does that by the way. [ as if your post needed to be stupider}

I think it is more significant that not one single occupation got 100%, or even over 90%.  There will always be a group of people who do not trust another group of people.  This poll merely identified that some occupations receive less trust than others.  I dont find this surprising.  Based on what we often read in the papers, there are a lot of vocal groups who do not 'trust' the military, nor even the police forces.  "They fear that which they do not understand"

I just can't seem to get ahead on this board.  I was simply looking to see how people felt about where a poll had placed them. 

Actually, I was going out of my way to be complimentary towards the CF, and I get my head bitten off.

Please, how does one *not* find a shovel around here.

Posting the out to lunch comment at the end did not help and it seemed you only saw what you wanted to see. If you even considered neither doctors nor dentists even rated or even members of the clergy.

Sorry missed doctors at 80, although people that work for religious institutions paints a broadstoke

hotelquebec9er said:
You would think an organization designed to protect our freedom and way of life would score higher than the guy who hands out speeding tickets and can take away your freedoms  :rage:

I think the problem is with this line. If you had left this out, you wouldn't have gotten your "head bitten off" as you put it.

IMHO I believe that the local/provincial/national police forces do as much as we do to protect our freedom and way of life, and with the exception of those currently overseas, do it on a daily basis.

This is the first poll of this nature that I can recall that included the forces in its list of occupations. That in itself tells us something. Whether it is accurate or relevant is another matter.

hotelquebec9er said:
So you post a comment that arguably takes a swipe at our nations police forces and then get frustrated when you can't "get ahead" on this board which is frequented by many of our nations finest...

Sorry.  I was using a definition my cop friend uses when he describes his work environment:

"Now imagine having the authority to tell people waht to do and they HAVE to do it. Drive fast and ignore traffic laws. Take away people's freedoms including their lives (not even a judge has that authority). Police officers have all that power and more. What would that kind of power do to you?"

I wasn't taking a swipe.  I have a great deal of respect for police officers (have considered it as a future career option).  I was just wondering how they would be rated ahead of the military -- the public interaction with the police is usually about negative incidents?  I can understand where the earlier comment was going with the lack of understanding and related fear...

My guess is that no occupation scored 100% trust because people weren't surveyed about how much they trusted Paramedics. ;) But enough about me, on to firefighter bashing...
What do firefighters do that makes them intrinsically more trustworthy?
You have to trust nurses are giving you the right treatment, that pharmacists are giving you the right meds and that a pilot knows what they are doing so they don't crash. But firefighters? I suppose they wouldn't lie to you about the presence of a fire, so is that why? How would a conversation like that even go?
Firefighter: Your house is on fire.
Homeowner: No its not, cough cough, get out of my living room. (passes out, is carried out by firefighter)
Is it because firefighters have nothing to gain from leading you astray, don't have access to sensitive information that they could use for their own ends and generally have a positive public image leads people to find them trustworthy?
And if people think that having a trustworthy occupation makes you trustworthy in private, they haven't been watching "Rescue me"
All the best,
Bart

Bart Nikodem said:
Firefighter: Your house is on fire.
Homeowner: No its not, cough cough, get out of my living room. (passes out, is carried out by firefighter)
;D I can almost picture that....

hotelquebec9er said:
Sorry.  I was using a definition my cop friend uses when he describes his work environment:

"Now imagine having the authority to tell people waht to do and they HAVE to do it. Drive fast and ignore traffic laws. Take away people's freedoms including their lives (not even a judge has that authority). Police officers have all that power and more. What would that kind of power do to you?"

I wasn't taking a swipe.  I have a great deal of respect for police officers (have considered it as a future career option).  I was just wondering how they would be rated ahead of the military -- the public interaction with the police is usually about negative incidents?  I can understand where the earlier comment was going with the lack of understanding and related fear...

Nice excuse I cannot imagine a police officer being that unprofessional to make a comment like that. If he/she did they are definitely not looking after the publics best interests.

hotelquebec9er said:

Umm yea,  your 'friend' needs a new job........................his name isn't "Harvey" by chance, over 6 foot, large ears..?

Sorry if I have a misconception about police officers.  It wasn't an excuse.  It was actually a direct quote from another forum I talk on (with my buddy).  Don't worry, he's a County Sherriff in MI, you won't have to deal with him most likely.

As always, polls are designed to elicit the response that the pollster wants. We don't know how it was presented or exactly what was asked. This is not news reporting, it's news making. As in, draw in the consumer and create a stir. The poll is useless, and this thread has more or less become that way also, right from the first post. Have fun for a couple more minutes.

....tic....toc..... fun police on site
50.gif

hotelquebec9er said:
Sorry if I have a misconception about police officers.  It wasn't an excuse.  It was actually a direct quote from another forum I talk on (with my buddy).  Don't worry, he's a County Sherriff in MI, you won't have to deal with him most likely.

Of course we won't have too ::)

On second look, we'll leave it open until some of our resident LEO's have a chance to look and respond ;)

hotelquebec9er said:

I'm over there all the time. PM his details, I may know him. Although the ones I do, take their job seriously, so I may not know him.

Back