• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians serving with the USMC

Maybe the military are tools but our government is not using us as they should! The military culture is weak in Canada and the government is even weaker... The US uses its military for coast protection, counter drug trafficking ops, border patrol, etc... Here, our guys are playing cards most of the times, at least in Valcartier

In a 1st since '95, Marines miss recruit tally

Officials say war danger might be affecting quotas

By Eric Schmitt
New York Times News Service
Posted February 3 2005

WASHINGTON -- For the first time in nearly a decade, the Marine Corps in January missed its monthly recruiting goal, in what military officials said was the latest troubling indicator of the Iraq war's effect on the armed services.

The struggles of the Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard to recruit and retain soldiers have received national attention in recent months. But the failure of the Marines, which historically has had the luxury of turning away recruits, is a potential problem for the service.

The Marines missed their January goal of 3,270 recruits by 84, less than 3 percent. They last missed a monthly goal in July 1995, and 1995 was also the last full year in which the corps fell short of its annual recruiting quota, said Maj. Dave Griesmer, a spokesman for the Marine Corps Recruiting Command.

Richard Kohn, a military historian at the University of North Carolina, said, "It's most troubling because the Marines tend to attract people who are the most macho, seek the most danger and are attracted by the service most likely to put them into combat."

Senior Marine personnel officials say that one month is hardly a trend, that the Marine Corps is slightly ahead of pace for the fiscal year beginning last October and that they fully expect to meet their overall goal for the year. But senior officers acknowledge that the drop in January and close calls in November and December could be linked to the widely publicized risks in Iraq.

"Do Iraq and Afghanistan have an impact? Yes," said Brig. Gen. Walter Gaskin, the head of the Marine Corps Recruiting Command. "But I am very optimistic we will meet our goal overall."

Army tells its troubles

On Capitol Hill on Wednesday, senior Army officers warned of worrisome recruiting trends and told of steps they are taking to address them. Lt. Gen. Roger Schultz, the chief of the Army National Guard, told the House Armed Services Committee that the Guard was retaining many of its top soldiers but failing to meet recruiting goals. In January, he said, the Guard met only 56 percent of its quota. Both the National Guard and Army Reserve are increasing the number of recruiters in the field, officers said.

Gen. Richard Cody, the Army's vice chief of staff, said the Guard struggled to staff its second and third rotations for the Iraq war but still met the call for troops, The Associated Press reported.

He told House members he was confident the Army again will be able to fully staff its next troop rotation, but he added, "It will be painful."

Later, when pressed by lawmakers to explain, Cody said, "That's probably a poor choice of words." Still, he said, according to the AP, that "we will have to address this" if the Guard continues to operate "at this level of commitment" in Iraq because many of those troops are nearing the end of their second consecutive year of active duty and, therefore, must return home.

Of the 152,000 U.S. troops in Iraq now, nearly 50 percent are from the Guard and Reserve. The figure is supposed to drop to 30 percent for the next rotation, beginning this summer.

In a reflection of the difficult market for Marine recruiters, the service is offering bonuses of up to $30,000 to retain combat veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan rather than relying on replenishing its ranks with troops from boot camp. About 75 percent of enlisted Marines leave the service after their first tour.

Although the Marine Corps is straining to meet its recruiting targets, the Air Force and Navy are flush with recruits and are actually shrinking their overall ranks. Military personnel experts say there are indications that young people interested in joining the military may be turning to the Air Force and Navy, which have suffered relatively few casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan. In contrast, the Marines make up about 21 percent of the fighting force in Iraq but have suffered 31 percent of the military deaths there, according to Pentagon statistics.

"It's not surprising that the Navy and Air Force would be doing just fine," said historian Kohn. "Kids getting a start in the military will migrate to the physically safer services, and it seems to them that they'll get more technical training there."

Corps has pool of recruits

Gaskin, the corps' recruiting chief, said that despite missing January's goal, which was first reported by ABC News on Tuesday night, the Marines are in no danger of running out of recruits for boot camp. Because of strong recruiting last year, the Marines entered the current fiscal year having already signed up 52 percent of the 2005 quota, he said. Typically, a recruit is sent to boot camp several months after signing an enlistment contract.

The Marines are devising recruiting strategies and offering signing bonuses of $2,000 to $5,000 for specialized jobs, like linguists and avionics technicians.

From here

Recruiting is usually tied to the state of the economy. When the economy boom's recruiting becomes harder and when things are tight recruiting is easier. The recruiting problem's the Guard and Reserve are experiencing is affected by their difficulty in attracting soldiers who are leaving active service. In the past prior service soldiers would opt on continuing their military career in the Guard/Reserve with reserve units being mobilized the RC just isnt getting those folks to sign up. Retention within the active forces is high so fewer are getting out. Frankly I think we have some serious reforming to do in the Guard/Reserves. Too many soldiers are undeployable. Units are under strength.

The problem we face is that the reserves are being used in a way that isnt good. The Army needs to be expanded by 100,000 troops
at least. Until then the reserves need to be fully mobilized. Serving on active duty one year out of 3 has a negative impact on a reservists civilian career.

So far over 1 million troops have rotated through Iraq and Afghanistan. Out of the 150,000 troops in Iraq right now, half are reservists.
By the end of this year the last of our NG Enhanced Brigades will have been deployed to Iraq. I think we will have to tap more of the NG divisions organic brigades for further rotations. The other problem is that according to testimony today the Army is low on equipment because stocks have been drawn down to equip deploying NG brigades. Here is an excerpt:

"In another indicator of stress on the military, the Army officers testified that equipment shortages remain severe and are in some cases worsening.

"We are equipment-challenged right now," Cody said. He said the Army had to draw down "almost all" of its pre-positioned stocks of armored vehicles and other equipment to outfit seven Army Guard brigades for deployment.

Lt. Gen. H. Steven Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau, said the National Guard was "woefully under-equipped before the war started, and that situation isn't getting any better. It gets a little worse every day" because much of the equipment going to Iraq is wearing out or being left in the country."

Has anyone ever seen a recruiting OC who was satisfied with the amount of recruits he or she obtained.

I've decideed that I am absolutely the most qualified person on this board to discuss the topic of Candians in The US Military. I was born and raised in Canada (Alberta, Manitoba). Enlisted in the USMC 2nd BN 5th Marines and then the US Army as an officer and a Blackhawk pilot.

Canadians can serve down here! I am one and I just got back from hockey practice. One of the other fathers is a doctor and officer in the US Army and he is from Saskatoon. Get a work visa and sign up. It's that easy. Just be prepared to do hard tours.

Yes, some losers run and hide when it's time for a fight (5 in Canada now right but they've been denied?). They are delt with accordingly regardless of nationality or where they run. By the way, I had a great time with some of you guys in Somalia but have missed you in Iraq.

I'm down here because assault pilot jobs are few and far between back home. Although the deployment schedules, rotations, and locations suck.

Cheers!

August the first, it all begins, its my ship date to Parris Island. It finally happened and I'll be a Marine soon. (after 3 months of punishment)  :skull: For those of you on this forum who don't remember me, I'm the guy who wanted to dedicate his life serving as a soldier, and I'm the guy who kept getting shut down by CF recruiting and whining about it on this forum. Sorry.
Anyway, I just want to thank everyone here on this forum, especially the moderators, for this wealth of knowledge I've been able to tap into. Wish me luck, eh?

Honor Courage Commitment! Kill! Kill!
                                                    /Evan

Good luck.

I hope to join you in the future.  Just hope I haven't missed my chance.

Keep us updated...

And isnt it Hooah, sprouting from "HUA" (Heard, Understood, Acknowledged), or am i way off?

Sh0rtbUs said:
And isnt it Hooah, sprouting from "HUA" (Heard, Understood, Acknowledged), or am i way off?

That is a US Army  thing.  Marines use the oorah...subtle but different.

PJ D-Dog

PJ D-Dog said:
That is a US Army  thing.  Marines use the oorah...subtle but different.

PJ D-Dog

Aahhh gotcha, i was off... but not WAY off.  ;D

Goodluck and kick some ass, show them boys what Canada's made of.

Back