• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians serving with the USMC

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
From MacLeans magazine. Interesting read:

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/world/article.jsp?content=20040712_83983_83983

Dang. Wish it was as easy as they make it out to be.

I agree. I looked into this in 1999 while I was still Pres in Canada. Wanted to go Army down there but at the time they said that there as a mountain of paperwork to do to get it done, perhaps this has changed since 9/11.

Back in '99 this guy I know (Didn't know him then) joined the US Army by merely caling a recruiter. He got up with a Green Card in about a week.

Lucky bastard

Personally I avoid soldiers who think that their "ethnicity or their birth country" gives them some type of moral superiority....sounds to me like a Waffen SS moto or sumpin' 

Do you avoid the rest of the US military then? I ask because the US believes they are the only ones that can say what is right or wrong in the world. Comparing us to the Waffen SS goes too far!!!

Thanks for the clarification on the Green Card thing S_Baker, I believe that I was told the same thing long, long ago. There was a way I could have done it though I am sure...It may have involved working with my uncle out of Boston for a while then applying for a Green Card. That was so long ago, however, that I can't recall the procedures or anything.

US Immigration can be tough. I know a guy who tried to get on with FDNY after 9/11 when they had almost no one volunteering for the job and he was turned around. Oh well...

Major Baker for PAFO!

i think you went over your allotment of smilie faces though

Personally I avoid soldiers who think that their "ethnicity or their birth country" gives them some type of moral superiority....sounds to me like a Waffen SS moto or sumpin'
. Sir i couldnt agree with you more.  I can't stand soldiers who think they are in the right soley from what country they are from.

I always love it when Canadians call other Canadians who wanna join the US Army "traitor" or other such bullcrap because they want to join the US Army.   I mean heaven forbid they want to serve with our closest ally.

S_Baker said:
"Free Air Techincian"

I am guessing
Major Baker for PAFO!
  that is Public Affairs Officer?    That is all I need ;) , then again, maybe I can be Michael Moore's publicist?    :p   As for the
  I can't stand soldiers who think they are in the right soley from what country they are from.
  I may come across sometimes as being a Know it all, but I have been humbled many a time....well not that many ;)

LOL,LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D,Mikie Moore!

http://army.ca/forums/threads/3891.0.html

It started from before Boot until today...

Hey , Im new here so...  Hey, everyone im Mike.

Anyway, yeah the reason I found this site is because I was seraching for 'Canadian Marines' about 4days ago because the thought is very present in my mind, but so to is that of the CAF.  Anyway I never thought Id be able to get in touch with you since that was a long time ago and you only had 10 posts. How did it turn out so far?

Kusiak,

What'd you think of J-ville during your brief stay?   What are some of the hotspots that you SOI kids hit these days to p*ss away your money on beer and Jax trailer trash chicks?

Haven't something like 5000 deserted so far? I bet we have more than 5 up here.  :eek:

Ex-Dragoon said:
I would rather live here then anywhere else in the world.   ::)

DAMN STRAIGHT! :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

[quote author=S_Baker]
5000 desertions....hmmmm, not likely, interesting that most think Canada is paradise, I think they should go to N-Korea or Maybe the KSA.  Most are a punks that need a good *** whoopin.........[/quote]

And i deffinatley couldn't agree with you more.

S_Baker, I would suggest that you take a different tack. The Canadians are not our enemy. As a US poster on a Canadian military forum
you need to think of yourself as a guest. If a Canadian officer came into Mil.com for example and posted as you have, the reception would be quite hot and not very cordial. In the future I would appreciate careful thought be made prior to posting. Canada is a sovereign country with its own policies. We enjoy a close working relationship with the CF which will continue no matter who is PM. Right now a Canadian Major General is a Deputy CG of III Corps in Iraq. No other ally has a general officer on the staff of one of our Corps HQ's. Participating in a foum is a privelage and not a right. Keep an open mind and be tactful.

Judging by the hordes of VietNam era US draft dodgers and deserters who flocked to CF recruiting stations you Yanks can keep your own shirkers,  thank you very much.    If they were unwilling to serve their native country I rather doubt they would serve mine.

tomahawk6 said:
S_Baker, I would suggest that you take a different tack. The Canadians are not our enemy. As a US poster on a Canadian military forum
you need to think of yourself as a guest. If a Canadian officer came into Mil.com for example and posted as you have, the reception would be quite hot and not very cordial. In the future I would appreciate careful thought be made prior to posting. Canada is a sovereign country with its own policies. We enjoy a close working relationship with the CF which will continue no matter who is PM. Right now a Canadian Major General is a Deputy CG of III Corps in Iraq. No other ally has a general officer on the staff of one of our Corps HQ's. Participating in a foum is a privelage and not a right. Keep an open mind and be tactful.

What are you talking about? S_Baker as been very tactful, respectful, and polite in his posts on this thread. In fact, I can't remember the last time he posted anything on any thread that was even remotely abrasive to CF members. You refer to him as a 'Guest' on this forum...ironic, as he is a Sr. Member/Directing Staff, and you in fact are the 'Guest'. I suggest YOU need to tone it down a little and as you said, 'think before you post'. You owe Mr. Baker an apology.

Nice first post. Get a grip.

S_Baker said:
so it seems my Lebanese Immigrant friend has deserted......http://reuters.myway.com/article/20...36106_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-IRAQ-USA-HASSOUN-DC.html

Maybe we should open up the US military to CDNs ...seems only fair since by last account Canada is up by +5 (deserters). ;)

It wouldnt suprise if the guy was working for the "enemy." But what i dont undertsnad is since he was charged before with desertion, why did they send him back out. weird.

I agree with you Baker, the Marines should be opened up to Canadians...would be a very good thing and Im sure recruiting numbers would go up significantly.

Back