• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Values do not include Canada for younger generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wallace said:
That may be the biggest part of European, Canadian and American social problems, and the reason there are so many migrant workers in both countries; increasing the calls for Immigrants.  There are jobs out there, but too many think that those jobs are "BELOW" their social status.
FTFY, and for sure at least one reason.  I've sure seen evidence the same when I was in Italy.  My broken-record story:  while folks complained about foreigners taking Italian jobs, I saw zero Italians working as live-in help or home-support workers for seniors needing assistance to stay at home - those jobs were all done by Ukrainians, Georgians, Romanians & other "new" Europeans.

George Wallace said:
There are jobs out there, but too many think that those jobs are "BELOW" their social status.

Jobs, yes. Careers, Very few.

I blame educational institutions for letting kids continue to get degrees and diplomas in fields that have almost no career path or are saturated. 

Light Guns is right.  The jobs for the average kid who just wants a middle class life with a pension at the end are disappearing.  And higher education is becoming either too expensive or leading to no career employment.

I don't blame kids for not wanting a McJob or live in help when their parents got good jobs and benefits with a high school education.  And I see how the previous generations have leveraged their future for the benefit of the old.

If I hear one more story about some 65+ year old who didn't prepare at all for their future, is now broke, and now demands society prop them I'm going to lose it.  You didn't prep for your future ?  Enjoy your fridge box behind the quick stop! 

Ice flows are the answer! ;)

Halifax Tar said:
Jobs, yes. Careers, Very few.

I blame educational institutions for letting kids continue to get degrees and diplomas in fields that have almost no career path or are saturated. 

Light Guns is right.  The jobs for the average kid who just wants a middle class life with a pension at the end are disappearing.  And higher education is becoming either too expensive or leading to no career employment.

I don't blame kids for not wanting a McJob or live in help when their parents got good jobs and benefits with a high school education.  And I see how the previous generations have leveraged their future for the benefit of the old.

If I hear one more story about some 65+ year old who didn't prepare at all for their future, is now broke, and now demands society prop them I'm going to lose it.  You didn't prep for your future ?  Enjoy your fridge box behind the quick stop! 

Ice flows are the answer! ;)

There are jobs, and they are not all "below their status".  Careers?  We have a society that has swung towards the belief that one will get a better job/career by getting a UNIVERSITY education.  In the meantime, the TRADES are looking for people to fill positions.  Trades professionals are making better money than many other professions/occupations, but few progressing through our education system go that route. 

George Wallace said:
There are jobs, and they are not all "below their status".  Careers?  We have a society that has swung towards the belief that one will get a better job/career by getting a UNIVERSITY education.  In the meantime, the TRADES are looking for people to fill positions.  Trades professionals are making better money than many other professions/occupations, but few progressing through our education system go that route.

No issue with your statement.  Hence why I said:

And

Trades are careers not jobs.  And in my eyes are equal if not more valuable to society than other "professional careers".  They get these beliefs because Universities have been advertised and held up to be the only acceptable way forward.  The kids didn't just think this up themselves.

Halifax Tar said:

Governments as well, NB has created a low income assistance to students who attend universities but not  for students who attend private trade schools.  1000s of NBers can now get arts degrees in XXX Studies at little to no cost to themselves. 

George Wallace said:

But there is no Starbucks or Lulu-lemon where those jobs are

Halifax Tar said:
Trades are careers not jobs. 

That comes up on here from time to time. I think Recruiting calls them "jobs".
http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

Where I used to work, most the generation I hired on with simply referred to it as, "the job". It certainly was not a spiritual vocation. At least not to me. Although when a call went well, it did provide a sense of accomplishment.

Profession, job, occupation, trade, vocation, career, calling, work, employment ...

I had to look it up,
https://www.italki.com/question/115349

Sometimes people will simply ask, "What's your line?"

mariomike said:
Profession, job, occupation, trade, vocation, career, calling, work, employment ...
"A friend asked, 'so what does your girlfriend do?'  I said 'everything but anal.'  Apparently he was asking where she worked."
- Jimmy Carr

/tangent

George Wallace said:

My high school years where between 1980-85.  If you showed an interest in a trade (including taking shop/tech classes), you seemed to be written off by the "guidance" councillors.  This was in Ontario when Gr. 13 still existed.  Uni was the place to go, followed, begrudgingly, by community college.  With talking to my daughter who graduated Gr. 12 in BC last June, this elitist attitude seems alive and well.

Grimey said:
My high school years where between 1980-85.  If you showed an interest in a trade (including taking shop/tech classes), you seemed to be written off by the "guidance" councillors.  This was in Ontario when Gr. 13 still existed.  Uni was the place to go, followed, begrudgingly, by community college.  With talking to my daughter who graduated Gr. 12 in BC last June, this elitist attitude seems alive and well.

This was my experience as well (Kingston, Ont) in the 90s.  And it was perpetuated by my parents.  The look on their faces when I came home with CAF Recruiting documents was priceless.  Their questions were disturbing, "Why do you want to throw your life away ?", "Why do you want to be a drunken wife beater?" and "What did we do wrong as your parents ?" lol

I have to say they have changed their tunes ALLOT but they still hold some of incorrect and unfounded stereotypes about us.

mariomike said:
That comes up on here from time to time. I think Recruiting calls them "jobs".
http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

Where I used to work, most the generation I hired on with simply referred to it as, "the job". It certainly was not a spiritual vocation. At least not to me. Although when a call went well, it did provide a sense of accomplishment.

I had to look it up,
https://www.italki.com/question/115349

Sometimes people will simply ask, "What's your line?"

Good info, thanks. 

Halifax Tar said:
This was my experience as well (Kingston, Ont) in the 90s.  And it was perpetuated by my parents.  The look on their faces when I came home with CAF Recruiting documents was priceless.  Their questions were disturbing, "Why do you want to throw your life away ?", "Why do you want to be a drunken wife beater?" and "What did we do wrong as your parents ?" lol

I have to say they have changed their tunes ALLOT but they still hold some of incorrect and unfounded stereotypes about us.

That's why my oldest son, who graduated CEGEP here in Quebec last year looked at the "arts and social sciences" university programs he could get into and the types of work and revenue it could lead to and decided to go to technical school instead to learn industrial welding.

My wife's and my attitude has been: Good on you. Lot's of good work in welding out there.

Kids in high school now days get very minimal exposure to "the trades". The amount of "shops" in high schools has been inversely proportional to the amount of new computer labs made in schools. You would be lucky to find any form of shop class in a school built after the year of 2000, especially in city high schools.

As previously stated, Guidance Councillors only know one answer when someone asks them what to do after high school. That would be to go to a university.

CAF Officers requiring a university degree is a debate for another thread.  :p

Halifax Tar said:
This was my experience as well (Kingston, Ont) in the 90s.  And it was perpetuated by my parents.
I experienced the bit in yellow, too, so I won't place the blame ENTIRELY on the young 'uns.

I've been to university and I've been to community college, and I find I use more of my college skills in the workplace than I do my university skills.

Anyone pursuing a trade, with a shmeck of organizational skill and work ethic, can make a very good living.

Flavus101 said:
Kids in high school now days get very minimal exposure to "the trades". The amount of "shops" in high schools has been inversely proportional to the amount of new computer labs made in schools. You would be lucky to find any form of shop class in a school built after the year of 2000, especially in city high schools.
And even those schools, looking around Vancouver Island, that have major shop infrastructure, are hard-pressed to find teachers able (or willing...) to take on the job.

My wife teaches elementary, we spent $1K, mostly materials that parents should supply.  It only takes 2 or 3 parents to refuse to supply and demand the government supply to screw a class out of fun activity.  So she covers that, there is no use in reasoning with parents who think education should be 100% free.  There is no budget for snot rags in an elementary school, incredibly, so that runs $60 bucks a year with all those runny noses.  We also supply recess snacks for a few and this year a Barbie bicycle for a young lady who never had a bicycle in her 6 years of life.  There is no extra room in the supply budgets, when I was in, I used grab any PPS thrown out at the end of course if I happened across it.  When we lived in Oromocto in a McMansion, we had a PPS room, anything we got went there, free pens from politicians or business, pencils found or on sale at end of school year. Can't do that with the little house now.

Its easy to say there is jobs in the trades. That being said look at how difficult it is to get qualified in those trades. You can't pay to go to school for it, and you have to fight for a apprenticeship which if you don't have a family member doing that trade (or other similar connections) odds are you will likely never get. Right now I am attending college and the people in my class (all 40 of us) want a apprenticeship, but since none of us have the connections needed to get one, odds are we are screwed in the future.

Companies don't want to hire apprentices as they are seen as a large cost, and once someone is qualified they can go elsewhere. Most the companies hiring apprentices want people who are basically qualified in the trade already just without the ticket so they can pay them less to do the same job as a qualified person.

Yes the jobs are there, but even if you want to do it, they refuse to train you and unlike the military, they want you pre-trained and don't provide you a way to do so.

>The jobs for the average kid who just wants a middle class life with a pension at the end are disappearing.

That life pattern was an aberration that existed for a short time between the end of WWII and the start of globalization, and not for everybody.  There was a big lift in living standards over a short time in Canada and the US, and people forgot that for most folks it was normal to start adult life living in a modest amount of floor space with not very many possessions, having to budget the income stream carefully, and maybe having to change jobs every few years (particularly at the outset).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back