• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian troops in Siberia, 1918-19

Old Guy

Inactive
Reaction score
I picked up this tidbit on a website dedicated to the US Army, 8th Division history.

The commanding general of the American contingent was Major General William Graves.

"Graves’ Americans joined 70,000 Japanese, 829 British, 1,400 Italian, and 107 Ammahese troops under French command. Canada sent troops both on the task force to northern Russia and to Siberia, the latter force being called the CSEF (Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force.) It constituted a little more than a brigade and was recalled in 1919. Canadian units included the 259th and 260th Battalions, No. 6 Signal Section, 16 Field Company CE, and 20th Canadian Machine Gun Co. headquarters, staff and supply units, as well as 'B' Squadron Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The cemetery at Churkin, Vladivostok holds the graves of CSEF men who died (a total of 18 at this cemetery ). The task of the CSEF was similar to that of the Americans, to protect stores and supplies should the Russians be able to use them. The CSEF spent most of their time on various works projects and were eventually recalled."

Naturally, I was looking for something else when I ran across this entry.  Interesting, what?

;)
Jim

The whole story of the Allied Intervention Force is a very interesting one, and often almost unknown in the countries that generated the forces. For the troops in the Intervention Force, whether they were in Siberia, the Murmanskrchangel front, or in the Crimea, WWI did not end in 1918. In fact, for the final contingent who were withdrawn from the Crimea via the Black Sea, it didn´t end until 1920.

The US piece referred to here is not competely accurate. Canadian troops in the AIF were most definitely involved in combat, including the gunners of the Royal Canadian Artillery who operated with the British force in the Murmansk-Archangel front.

Cheers

More here from the CEF History - download it - search for Siberia - get yourself to page 482 - enjoy!

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/downloads/Official_Histories/CEF_e.PDF

Back