• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian troops are showing off their modern battle-proven armoured vehicles to

Gunner

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Courtesy of ADM(PA)

By John Cotter
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) _ Like proud teenagers polishing a muscle car, Canadian troops are showing off their modern battle-proven armoured vehicles to envious foreign comrades.

A delegation of top Romanian generals were given a personal tour of an LAV III and a Nyala by the Canadian soldiers who drive them.

The Romanians, whose troops drive around Afghanistan in old Soviet-era BTR armoured personnel carriers, wanted to see for themselves the gear that has protected Canadian troops from mines, roadside bombs and rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs).

``It has a top speed of over 100 kilometres an hour,'' enthused Master Cpl. Matthew Parsons of the Edmonton-based 1 Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

``One of our LAV's withstood six RPG hits. Everywhere we go the Taliban pack up their stuff and get out of town.''

Parsons' enthusiasm prompted Lt.-Gen. Florian Pinta, deputy chief of the Romanian general staff, to crawl deep into the hold of the 13-tonne LAV to check out its gear, getting dust and dirt onto his crisp uniform.

The Romanian general did everything but kick the eight sturdy tires as a gaggle of aides took notes and looked on.

While the LAV may have speed, manoeuvrability and utility, Pinta was also taken by the Nyala which, while less fleet of foot, has gained a reputation for being almost impervious to roadside bombs.

Canada recently ordered 25 more of the vehicles to add to its fleet of 50.

Pinta was obviously envious of the Canadians' gear.

While a handful of LAV IIIs and Nyalas have been attacked, few have been seriously disabled with loss of life.

Later this summer, most of Pinta's Romanian troops will be shifted from providing perimeter security inside the wire at the Kandahar base to conducting dangerous patrols in remote areas in nearby Zabul province.

``These are very good vehicles,'' said Pinta. ``Unfortunately, we don't have the money. But we hope in the future to improve our capabilities. In this theatre, such vehicles are very important.''

Lt.-Col. Ian Hope, commander of the battle group in Kandahar, said he can remember when it was the Canadians who were saddled with old equipment.

With the bolstered but limited number of troops the international coalition will have for this summer's campaign, quality gear will help them punch above their weight.

``The Canadian unit here is the most capable in Afghanistan,'' Hope said. ``We have more capability, more agility, more reach.''

As the officers walked away from the vehicle display, a few junior ranking Canadian soldiers looked on.

For Pte. Shaun Felix, driving the Nyala is simply about feeling safe when he rolls through the wire on patrol.

``My confidence level is 100 per cent,'' said Felix, who is from Edmonton.

``I've got plenty of things to worry about when I'm on the outside. Riding in something safe like this really puts my mind at ease.''

I can just imagine the guys and gals of the PPCLI standing there proud as can be, chests out and a smile as wide as the oceans.  ;)

i am glad to see some other armies are looking at the Canadians with envy for such equipment. I know the Canadian Navy was the toast for awhile when the city class ships came on line.  I just hope the government can keep the envy armies coming over tocheck out the tools of the business on the Canadian side. I do not want to see another rusty fleet on the job in 10 years, update and rebuild as we go.

FormerHorseGuard said:
I just hope the government can keep the envy armies coming over tocheck out the tools of the business on the Canadian side. I do not want to see another rusty fleet on the job in 10 years, update and rebuild as we go.

It appears to be somewhat of a methodology when it comes to procurement for the CF: wait until the vehicle rusts out and is totally obsolete before purchasing the latest gear. Occasionally, you get the purchase of equipment that in between the rust out and renewal cycle, but that is rare. A quick observation of history of procurement for the CF.

Well it's nice to hear something positive with regards to the vehicles/equipment being used...and that the people using them have confidence in them...
Positive exposure for a change...refreshing

HL

The RG-31 is impressive (not Nyala).  Its like a bank vault on wheels and therefore is coffinesque.  Also you won't see them dismounting like a LAV.  Nonetheless a welcome addition.

Back