• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

It would be nice if the Canadian Gov't actually cared about actually protecting Canada's waters and spent the money to do it (instead of half-assing everything to do with defence). My opinion, of course.
Well we have to maintain the tradition of not GAF till the poop hits the fan.

If you want something done right you need to talk to a Scandinavian ;)

The Royal Norwegian Navy (Norwegian: Sjøforsvaret, lit. 'Sea defence') is the branch of the Norwegian Armed Forces responsible for naval operations of Norway.

As of 2008, the Royal Norwegian Navy consists of

It also includes the Coast Guard.

The Norwegian Coast Guard (Norwegian: Kystvakten) is a maritime military force which is part of the Royal Norwegian Navy.

The coast guard's responsibility are for fisheries inspection, customs enforcement, border control, law enforcement, shipping inspection, environmental protection, and search and rescue.

It operates
throughout Norway's 2,385,178-square-kilometer (920,922 sq mi) exclusive economic zone (EEZ),
internal waters and
territorial waters.

It is headquartered at Sortland Naval Base.

In 2013 the Coast Guard had

So, in a Norwegian Canadian Navy

Patrol divisions of the Coast Guard would be divisions of the RCN

That would mean the 6-8x AOPSs of the RCN (6615 tonnes) with a complement of 65 and capacity of 87 - 1x CH-148
the 5x Offshore (760 to 2400 tonnes) with crews of 15 to 25 - two with Helodecks, and
9x Midshore (253 tonnes) Patrol Vessels of the Coast Guard with complements of 9.

The rest of the Coast Guard Fleet would stay with Fisheries and Oceans.

And given the Coast Guards MPVs then add the RCN's Orcas to the Patrol division.

8x PB (210 tonnes) with complements of 5.

Result

I'll send you the bill :LOL:
So who maintains their navigational aids?

They all work on the water with boats - beyond that.... separate beasts.

Interesting so their Coast Guard is really a Coast Guard and not a Public infrastructure service like the CCG.

They seem to do public service work in the sense they respond to maritime disasters, rescue ships in distress, supply deep sea towing services, respond to oil spills and environmental hazards and generally enforce civil law on the state's high seas.

It would be nice if the Canadian Gov't actually cared about actually protecting Canada's waters and spent the money to do it (instead of half-assing everything to do with defence). My opinion, of course.
Well I haven't seen any reports of Canada's waters being attacked/exploited by foreign powers, so I guess, based on actual fact, Canada has done the correct amount (so far) to "protect our waters".

Asterix allegedly had similar issues when she came from Quebec to Halifax.
what is it that drives all this? Are the shipbuilders just that bad of employers? Is this a problem everywhere or more an Anglo-American problem (CAUKUS)?

what is it that drives all this? Are the shipbuilders just that bad of employers? Is this a problem everywhere or more an Anglo-American problem (CAUKUS)?
I think in most cases its potential layoffs and some of the workers get angry. This is a post from one of my naval pages, this kind of thing been going on for many years.

"In the mid-70's we brought Saguenay out of refit in Montreal. It was early December and we wanted her out before freeze up. Once we left there would be big layoffs, as the yard had no other ships for winter work. The plan was to sail down river for engineering trials, then return to Vickers for some final short jobs.
Before sailing we found that every antenna cable entering the CCR had been cut off flush with the packing glands where they entered. We sailed with an æ to one Racal. We didn't return to Vickers, as we figured the sabotage would continue so they could have winter work. The contractors were very mad when we kicked them off in Quebec City and carried on to Halifax. The RM's worked their butts off running temporary æ cabling. Enroute we found they'd tried to screw ip our TA's and DG's."

I think in most cases its potential layoffs and some of the workers get angry. This is a post from one of my naval pages, this kind of thing been going on for many years.

"In the mid-70's we brought Saguenay out of refit in Montreal. It was early December and we wanted her out before freeze up. Once we left there would be big layoffs, as the yard had no other ships for winter work. The plan was to sail down river for engineering trials, then return to Vickers for some final short jobs.
Before sailing we found that every antenna cable entering the CCR had been cut off flush with the packing glands where they entered. We sailed with an æ to one Racal. We didn't return to Vickers, as we figured the sabotage would continue so they could have winter work. The contractors were very mad when we kicked them off in Quebec City and carried on to Halifax. The RM's worked their butts off running temporary æ cabling. Enroute we found they'd tried to screw ip our TA's and DG's."
That sort stuff should be made public and the yard blacklisted. The locals will turn on those perpetrators pretty quickly. Also jail time and heavy fines.

Unions, they are not all bad but the ones I have had contact with typically the members develop an extremely entitled attitude. Normally so bad that they do not care one bit about the company paying their wages and even seem to be happy to hurt the company any chance they get.

Unions, they are not all bad but the ones I have had contact with typically the members develop an extremely entitled attitude. Normally so bad that they do not care one bit about the company paying their wages and even seem to be happy to hurt the company any chance they get.
Out here the yards were dependent on offshore repair work so I suspect that attitude would not last long as it would threaten everyone's livelihood.

Back