• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Each ship actually has it's own NSN, and there is hilariously an NSN for a 'human brain' which is some kind of training aid or something.

Have put in supply demands for both that have been denied due to no spares in stock. :D
I will ask you to go to CGCS at your next opportunity and put in the following under Item Name:

LIGHTSA*

Tell me what appears.

I will ask you to go to CGCS at your next opportunity and put in the following under Item Name:

LIGHTSA*

Tell me what appears.
That's another one of my favourites. The one story I heard is someone did that to bring it into the country without paying import duties.

Here is the report:

CSC life cycle cost estimates, by phase ($ billions)
Cost Development 4.3
Acquisition 80.2
Operations and Sustainment 219.8
Disposal 1.7 Grand Total 306.0

Sources: Office of the Parliamentary Budget Officer.

Life cycle phases Development: all activities leading up to the purchase or construction of a given weapon system, such as options analysis, studies, and research and development.

Acquisition: all activities associated with the purchase or construction of the system and its integration into service and full operational capability.

Operations and Sustainment: all activities relating to the usage, support, and maintenance of the system, including mid-life upgrades (IMO we should not do this) and technology insertion. This is the red herring, it is money spent no matter what type of ship we buy.

Disposal: activities associated with the withdrawal of the system from service at the end of its useful life
A personal thank you for the information and the link. Make me less amateurish on the costing of the CSC.

The weird thing is that is only ~ 5 billion a year. 2% seems like a dream.

Last edited:
Nerd tangent - All capital assets (as do non capital) have NSNs to track financials and other weird things but I am sure you knew that, mostly for other folks.

As for ordering human brain...it isn't that there isn't stock in the system, it is just a 4L item so you probably didn't give the proper fin coding so your LPO section could buy it for you :)

Canadian Government Cataloguing System has been cleaned up in recent years but there was essentially no control before so lots of dodgy (and funny stuff made it on there (Light saber anyone?)

How does the NSN SKU relate to the UPC system?

A personal thank you for the information and the link. Make me less amateurish on the costing of the CSC.

The weird thing is that is only ~ 5 billion a year. 2% seems like a dream.
I hate to quote myself is but to acknowledge. i was falling in for the average that people like me fall for.

If you look at Figure 2-1 it shows small shoulders with for development and disposal with the huge centre.

I’m not certain how to read the entire document, though I know my first reaction was certainly wrong.

This program will end in 1949 but I bet there is a new acquisition that will follow CSC program. My impression though is that program’s streams never cross.

This program will end in 1949 but I bet there is a new acquisition that will follow CSC program. My impression though is that program’s streams never cross.
I know we're using old equipment but that's a bit much :sneaky:

Seen -

Is NSN a subset of the UPC system?
Not that I am aware of. They use the same principles but nothing I have seen has ever said NATO leaned into incorporating UPC aspects into the NSNs. I haven't come across an item where the unique identifier in the NSN(last 7) corresponds to that item's UPC code. There may be some out there but given my understanding of how we create NSNs that isn't a consideration.

I was wondering the same. Has CMS330 evolved to something different? "LMC CTI"? I can't imagine what CTI might stand for. I have found nothing at the LMC CSC website.

I was wondering the same. Has CMS330 evolved to something different? "LMC CTI"? I can't imagine what CTI might stand for. I have found nothing at the LMC CSC website.
Perhaps CMS 330 is becoming more like Aegis with a Canadian GUI. I say this because of Canada’s renewed interest in missile defense In both politics and military circles. Given Aegis prowess in missile defence..

Political pressure with NORAD

Navy/Lockheed Aegis.

The missile defence role was implied with SPY-7 but it only became “public” very recently from what I can see and have read.

I don't have the answer for the CTI acronym but it looks like a replacement for CMS 330 as that's the system is being rebuilt to accomodate Aegis somehow.

There is a scale. On one side is a full CMS 330 ship. On the other a full Aegis ship. Somewhere between those two will be the CSC full combat management system. The Aussies already did this with their CMS in the Hobarts, where it uses some Aegis stuff combined with the 9LV system (from Saab).

Where that ends up for Canada is still a bit unknown ATT. CMS interface with Aegis programing? CMS underwater warfare with Aegis air defence? Different servers, Aegis software in a CMS server, vice versa? I know Canada is liasing with Australia on how they accomplished this and what their lessons learned are though.

There is a better view of this thing and I still don't know what it is.
1668050657373.png

Last edited:
I don't have the answer for the CTI acronym but it looks like a replacement for CMS 330 as that the system is being rebuilt to accomodate Aegis somehow.

There is a scale. On one side is a full CMS 330 ship. On the other a full Aegis ship. Somewhere between those two will be the CSC full combat management system. The Aussies already did this with their CMS in the Hobarts, where it uses some Aegis stuff combined with the 9LV system (from Saab).

Where that ends up for Canada is still a bit unknown ATT. CMS interface with Aegis programing? CMS underwater warfare with Aegis air defence? Different servers, Aegis software in a CMS server, vice versa? I know Canada is liasing with Australia on how they accomplished this and what their lessons learned are though.

There is a better view of this thing and I still don't know what it is.
View attachment 74752
Thank you for your info about the CMS.

My thinking is that is either a huge lifeboat or something like this:

That's in Canadian parlance an SOPD (but we also call it a DLF) and we have them on the frigates. I honestly can't remember what the acronym stands for (Ships Off-board Passive Decoy I think but I'm really not confident in that).

It doesn't look like the current launch system and isn't where the UK are putting theirs on the Type 26 (see image below), but it could be a different type. They are usually placed near the bow so that they have plenty of time to inflate before the ship sails past them. I've always wanted to unpack one and draw a "natural 20" on the top with a permanent marker. But since they come packed from the company that's pretty much a non-starter.

1668054037288.png

Back