• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

are other sites, which don't require a subscription, showing the article by Alan Williams?
"Navy desperately needs new ships, but not at any price"

Call me self-interested, but do we have any detailed information on living spaces, accommodations, messes, gyms, WCs, anticipated manning and watch rotations, etc?

That's the stuff I really care about!

Call me self-interested, but do we have any detailed information on living spaces, accommodations, messes, gyms, WCs, anticipated manning and watch rotations, etc?

I'm not sure if any of this kind of stuff has been finalized yet into the design, and I can only speak second-hand from people I know involved in the project, but from what they've told me the project is taking quality of life issues such as the above very seriously.

I would be surprised if we ever get to Asterix or AOPS-level QoL due to space limitations, but it should be a noticeable improvement from the Halifax-class.

dscn0382z-most-of-the-crew-slept-below-the-gun-deck-in-hammocks-tightly-packed-swinging-hammocks-figured-memorably-in-the-visuals-of-the-movie-master-and-commander.jpg

You know, if that's what I had to sleep on, transiting East to take the fight to Russia, I wouldn't mind at all. We've all had worst, I'm sure!

But in peace time, when a career sailor spends a good portion of his life at sea, it has to be a comfortable, healthy, and sustainable life.

AFAIK the largest messdeck has 6-8 pers and there are more onsuite heads than on the current frigates. I believe that the showers will be more like the MCDV's with private booths that are not separated by male/female. Just lockable floor to ceiling, with a change area and a shower. They are building in a dedicated gym space. Don't quote me on that though. I'll ask around for more detailed information.

The outfitting and furnishing step of the build won't be known for at least two years. Those are some of the later items that get organized after the general spaces are assigned. Each space is organized by role and equipment. So a mess deck of 6 pers has to have 6 racks, 6 footlockers, 6 lockers, 1 phone, etc....

As for manning crewing max 200 crew including air det. The watch rotations stuff will likely be based on current practices but will have to be changed as the crew size is different.

There is an effort to adjust based on the new technology, information, tools and number of people for the new ships.

JSS for example will trial at some point a distributed ERT vs the current model as the ship is huge and the internal comms are better. The ship is expected a few years from now, and I'm already seeing changes to the CSE section.

AFAIK the largest messdeck has 6-8 pers and there are more onsuite heads than on the current frigates. I believe that the showers will be more like the MCDV's with private booths that are not separated by male/female. Just lockable floor to ceiling, with a change area and a shower. They are building in a dedicated gym space. Don't quote me on that though. I'll ask around for more detailed information.

The outfitting and furnishing step of the build won't be known for at least two years. Those are some of the later items that get organized after the general spaces are assigned. Each space is organized by role and equipment. So a mess deck of 6 pers has to have 6 racks, 6 footlockers, 6 lockers, 1 phone, etc....

As for manning crewing max 200 crew including air det. The watch rotations stuff will likely be based on current practices but will have to be changed as the crew size is different.

There is an effort to adjust based on the new technology, information, tools and number of people for the new ships.

JSS for example will trial at some point a distributed ERT vs the current model as the ship is huge and the internal comms are better. The ship is expected a few years from now, and I'm already seeing changes to the CSE section.
Nice to see a headcount reduction of around 15% compared to the Halifax's, every bit will help when the navy's short 1k sailors.

^^
Let's hope they have built in personnel surge capacity. Because aspirational targets always meets the brick wall of reality...cough LCS cough.

^^
Let's hope they have built in personnel surge capacity. Because aspirational targets always meets the brick wall of reality...cough LCS cough.
With all the stuff they are cramming into that ship I'm not confident that this is a design constraint (restraint perhaps but not a constraint). Though the mission space I(flex deck etc...) seems large enough to take three to four of the MCDV habitation "pods" which adds about 18-24 or so bunks.

If you really had to you could probably find spaces for extra people. Again I'll have to ask around. A lot harder when the office is still reduced COVID staffing and most people (myself included) work from home most of the time.

With all the stuff they are cramming into that ship I'm not confident that this is a design constraint (restraint perhaps but not a constraint). Though the mission space I(flex deck etc...) seems large enough to take three to four of the MCDV habitation "pods" which adds about 18-24 or so bunks.

If you really had to you could probably find spaces for extra people. Again I'll have to ask around. A lot harder when the office is still reduced COVID staffing and most people (myself included) work from home most of the time.
To your point:

People have been sleeping in storage spaces on the AOPS.

Sometimes of their own volition.

On CHA, we had a junior officer sleeping in the After Gyro compartment....we can shoehorn people in almost anywhere.

I hate the practice of cramming people in everywhere, and you come up with all kinds of basic safety items when you don't allow for an excess crew and things like training bunks.

Very basic things like sufficient life rafts, proper fire detection/protection for accomodation spaces, adequate fresh/grey/black water capacity etc. All really basic stuff that you can easily sort out at build but becomes a forever shitshow when you try and bolt it on later.

That is a double edged sword, if you plan for all that at build then it makes the ship too expensive. Then you dont get new ships, or as many.

So is having EEBDs in the area to enable escape in a smoke filled environment.

Back