• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)

LunchMeat said:
No idea, possibly none,  hence why I said "some".

Could be said about our boot fiasco and other piss-poor procurement.
        ::)

LunchMeat said:
No idea, possibly none,  hence why I said "some".

Could be said about our boot fiasco and other piss-poor procurement.

So, a random slur without basis?  A completely uninformed comment? 

Thanks for the input.

Dimsum said:
Short of some constantly-changing chameleon suit, no one pattern can provide the best cover for everything - Multicam wouldn't work that well in the snow, for example.  So, what you're really suggesting is to have 5 patterns (CADPAT TW for the spring/fall, AR for desert, MC for the "in betweens", potentially a winter pattern for snow and an urban pattern), not to replace all with MC.

Other than the Winter Whites, we could reduce our compliment down to a single uniform. MC/Scorpion is very versatile.

URGH! 

The whole things sounds dumb to me.  Why have a whole different uniform?  If it works for the CSOR it should work for the rest of the forces? no?

Or is it we are special deal?

Spencer100 said:
URGH! 

The whole things sounds dumb to me.  Why have a whole different uniform?  If it works for the CSOR it should work for the rest of the forces? no?

Or is it we are special deal?

CSOFCOM pers often wear US uniforms/camo for operational security.  That's one of the main reasons for the differences.  I've personally worked with and specifically asked about their choice of gear.  I was told it is often to confuse or misdirect about who is actually operating in the area.  If you wear US camo the enemy (and friends) assume you are a US unit, especially at a distance.  The SOF units have or can get multiple types of camo relatively quickly and try out new stuff.  They also use no-name brand pattern camo that isn't really a particular nations style once again for operational security.  It's not automatically that our stuff is the worst, though I understand the typical Canadian military reflex to think that.

Underway said:
CSOFCOM pers
Nice try.

Not a single line in your post is based on fact.

Multicam was chosen after user trials.  An open and competitive procurement was initiated for a vendor to produce MC uniforms with specific design characteristics based on user requirements and feedback.

LunchMeat said:
CADPAT is all political and has nothing to do with being effective
. TW is great  for some Canadian environments, and AR is great for others.

So which is it?

Underway said:
CSOFCOM pers often wear US uniforms/camo for operational security.  That's one of the main reasons for the differences.  I've personally worked with and specifically asked about their choice of gear.  I was told it is often to confuse or misdirect about who is actually operating in the area.  If you wear US camo the enemy (and friends) assume you are a US unit, especially at a distance.  The SOF units have or can get multiple types of camo relatively quickly and try out new stuff.  They also use no-name brand pattern camo that isn't really a particular nations style once again for operational security.  It's not automatically that our stuff is the worst, though I understand the typical Canadian military reflex to think that.

I'll have to brush up on my Geneva/Hague Conventions and LOAC, but isn't there something about it being illegal for signatory nations to adorn misleading insignia/accouterments/etc?

More thinking out loud...I know, scary LOL
But couldn't the green CADPAT be used for Spring/Summer camouflage
And the arid region CADPAT be used both for arid environment and also as a fall camouflage
For winter, use what we used when I was in 1979-1981...white nylon overcoat worn over the parka and white nylon pants worn over snow pants
As for urban environments, what exactly could be worn to blend in. If anything would clothing that allows a soldier to blend in looking more like he belongs there be better, rather than camouflaging him to look like a building...if that makes sense
Anyhow what would I know...what we wore was olive drab combats year round, and in winter covered up in white.  Although our helmets had reversible green/brown camouflage cover

Tom

John Tescione said:
Do they use Velcro on their pockets now, or buttons?

Americans are almost all zippers, buttons. Very little velcro that requires frequent access.

daftandbarmy said:
And quieter, which is a life skill during certain combat arms type scenarios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK3maq8Cyk

I love that video, gets me every time.

daftandbarmy said:
And quieter, which is a life skill during certain combat arms type scenarios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK3maq8Cyk

I stand corrected, that video is slick.

Does anyone know the duration of a rotation in CSOR? What I mean is after serving you initial minimum which is 3 years I believe, would the kick you back out to your original regiment or could you remain inside as long as you were physically capable to remain operational. Since it seems a bit strange to me to select and train you and spend considerable money on you only to kick you out for some new guy after 3 years.

(I searched through all (okay, most...) of the 22 pages of this thread as well as the search function and wasn't able to find an answer.)

SF Op is a trade now, AFAIK that trade only has one place to work, CSOR.

Judging by the constant recruiting messages for supporters, I'm guessing those trades get moved out in the same 3-5 window that everyone else can expect to be moved around at. Longer if you can hide.

PuckChaser said:
SF Op is a trade now, AFAIK that trade only has one place to work, CSOR.

There's also CSOTC across the base.

Is their a possibility of lengthening your stay or returning in a later point in time?

Thats actually a very good question RedCardOP,

With the huge amount of time and money spent training operators in the SOF world, I would think the SOF community would want to hold onto their members for as long as possible.  I'm curious as to the answer as well - and, like the OP, did a fair amount of research & couldn't find an answer.

Back