• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)

mariomike said:
ok. I get it. The bus is getting blown up, burned up, shot up, etc....
I never asked why no c-collar. I just found their lifting technique a little bit different than anything I had ever seen on the job. And that includes our Tactical, Heavy Rescue, Marine, CBRNE, PSU, ERU, ESU, MPU, etc. Paramedics.
I understand "CANSOF's TTPs are secret", so I won't ask why.  :)

While much of your lengthy and distinguished career is with a civilian service, you often forget that it time of war, many "Industry Standard" become secondary to simply getting people out of harms way.

Blackadder1916 said:
If putting the casualty's legs on the rescuer's shoulders is a new protocol, so be it, but I don't see how that is an improvement over the legacy two-man fore and aft carry.
Less fatiguing on the arms when you have a lot of casualties to move (or have a great distance to move, or still have a requirement for effective upper body strength once the 'move body phase' is complete, etc.... )

Did you just let the secret out...?

Journeyman said:
Less fatiguing on the arms when you have a lot of casualties to move (or have a great distance to move, or still have a requirement for effective upper body strength once the 'move body phase' is complete, etc.... )
Hands would be free to engage threats as well, and on the shoulders might keep the patient more level coming down the steep bus stairs. Lots of reasons to do it.

kkwd said:

:goodpost:

Milpoints inbound.

The top pic shows empty stretchers set up and in position at the door of the bus. Stretchers are ready and waiting to receive casualties as rescuers step off the stairs and out the door.*
At least one of those stretchers has already received a casualty, and is being taken away by rescuers.

* Fortunately, in spite of the "mock bus explosion" ( as it says in the caption ), the door is still operational.

The bottom pic posted by kkwd shows rescuers, with no stretcher available.

With no stretcher available,  legs over shoulders patient transport would be a viable alternative.

Attachments

• carry.jpg
    carry.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 3,641
  • carry1.jpg
    carry1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 539
This is how we learned to do casualty carries... at about 1.47. Of course if the cas has CSpine issues they're doomed with this technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kjXUQoW1HQ

Try not to throw up on the instructors' boots though, it's not cricket.

After watching the show and seeing the screen shots. Everyone is wearing a different uniform then arid cadpat.  Why the change? 

Spencer100 said:
After watching the show and seeing the screen shots. Everyone is wearing a different uniform then arid cadpat.  Why the change?

CSOR has been using Multicam for many years, even when everyone else was using Arid CADPAT. It also brings them closer in line to other Special Operations Forces of our allies.

Multicam is much more effective multi-environment camouflage.

LunchMeat said:
CSOR has been using Multicam for many years, even when everyone else was using Arid CADPAT. It also brings them closer in line to other Special Operations Forces of our allies.

Multicam is much more effective multi-environment camouflage.

Which is why we have Cadpat, right? ;)

daftandbarmy said:

Carrying multiple types of uniform doesn't really sound light or cost effective, especially since the CA can barely kit out its own soldiers with CADPAT (TW) uniforms that aren't falling apart or made like a moo-moo.

daftandbarmy said:

Tests of patterns have been largely inconclusive; as with many things military, the subjective opinion of the senior person present is taken as "proof".

If you'd care to look at a large number of designs, there's always https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_clothing_camouflage_patterns

daftandbarmy said:

CADPAT is all political and has nothing to do with being effective. TW is great for some Canadian environments, and AR is great for others. Having witnessed Multicam at work first hand in Canada, I don't understand why we haven't adopted it service wide other than money and Canada's undying need to be "unique" rather than actually supply us with effective uniforms, equipment, vehicles, etc. 

Same reason US had UCP for so long and after only a few years in both Iraq and A'stan, adopted Multicam as it is much, much more effective in a wide variety of environments.

PuckChaser said:
Carrying multiple types of uniform doesn't really sound light or cost effective, especially since the CA can barely kit out its own soldiers with CADPAT (TW) uniforms that aren't falling apart or made like a moo-moo.

Also, this.  :salute:

LunchMeat said:
CADPAT is all political and has nothing to do with being effective.

CADPAT when it came out was a revolutionary design.  DRDC studies showed that with CADPAT compared to the old olive greens, and with the at the time US army camo, showed a 20-30% reduction in the distance that an observer needed to be before they sighted the wearer.  The IR signature reduction was something that no one had at the time either.

The US Marine Corps signed up with their own version fairly quickly.

If it has been surpassed by new camouflage models (mainly ones that don't contain any black in them) then that's fine.  But you can't say the CADPAT was all political and not effective.

Underway said:
CADPAT when it came out was a revolutionary design.  DRDC studies showed that with CADPAT compared to the old olive greens, and with the at the time US army camo, showed a 20-30% reduction in the distance that an observer needed to be before they sighted the wearer.  The IR signature reduction was something that no one had at the time either.

The US Marine Corps signed up with their own version fairly quickly.

If it has been surpassed by new camouflage models (mainly ones that don't contain any black in them) then that's fine.  But you can't say the CADPAT was all political and not effective.

I understand that in it's inception it was revolutionary, but now that it has been nearly 2 decades since it's been in service.

Now, it's not so effective for the types of situations we and our allies are getting into. When you need quick adaptability from woodland, grassland, desert, to urban; our two very exclusive uniform patterns are not up to par.

CADPAT TW is great for spring time, in the mountains and foothills, in Canadian environment and garrison. CADPAT AR is great for strict desert, sand, and very light brown/tan environments.

But it doesn't cover the in betweens and diverse biomes. Multicam and it's derivatives do much better, and for our safety and effectiveness, to ignore the fact is purely political. Keeping jobs in the hometown of some former DND bureaucrat/Ret'd general.

LunchMeat said:
But it doesn't cover the in betweens and diverse biomes. Multicam and it's derivatives do much better, and for our safety and effectiveness, to ignore the fact is purely political. Keeping jobs in the hometown of some former DND bureaucrat/Ret'd general.

Short of some constantly-changing chameleon suit, no one pattern can provide the best cover for everything - Multicam wouldn't work that well in the snow, for example.  So, what you're really suggesting is to have 5 patterns (CADPAT TW for the spring/fall, AR for desert, MC for the "in betweens", potentially a winter pattern for snow and an urban pattern), not to replace all with MC. 

LunchMeat said:
Multicam and it's derivatives do much better, and for our safety and effectiveness, to ignore the fact is purely political. Keeping jobs in the hometown of some former DND bureaucrat/Ret'd general.

I'm curious - which hometown, and which Ret'd General?

PPCLI Guy said:
I'm curious - which hometown, and which Ret'd General?

No idea, possibly none,  hence why I said "some".

Could be said about our boot fiasco and other piss-poor procurement.

Back