• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)

MCG said:
I agree that there could have been a better name, but a lot have said the same of JTF 2 (could have been SAS).  Maybe SSF was not considered because it was the name of a formation and not of a unit.

So maybe we don't get the name back, but I'm quite convinced that the old SSF (jump) smock would go so well with cadpat pants and a tan beret!!  :-X I loved that smock!! I think the tan beret I could do without.

Oh the choices:
OT
suck it up in the regs
Work my ass off and try this new unit were you can get a lot more kit work with the best people but be away a lot more often for a lot longer.

Haggis said:
Couldn't they come up with a better name than Joint Action Task Force?  

What does it matter? It's not the name but the game you bring to the big show that counts.  Besides Army is moving forward, so what would be accomplished by dredging up old ideas. - As well JTF2 was already adopted the SSF battle honours.  I think most are just happy finding out what is going on through the usual channels and keeping the hear-say at work.

I agree. Who cares what they call it? Lets get on with it and get the job done (or in this case, lets get it started). Armyvern, trying to relive 1988 are you? Jumpsmocks are way gone. They don't even wear them at CPC now.

I'm hearing some pretty negative chatter here in Ottawa about the whole thing. Not the JATF so much but the CANSOFCOM HQ. Its mostly sigs types bitching about it being a big move of the JOG up to Ottawa, with all of their attached B/S including a big part of the JSR. I have to take it with a big grain of salt, looking at where its coming from of course. I think maybe these individuals are confusing things with CEFCOM. Moving JSR hierarchy up here and making them the core of a new signal element of a new HQ would be a MAJOR blunder.... (IMHO)

Anyway, apparently the JATF idea is not looked upon too positively either. Once again, BIG grain of salt because alot of the people around this place (NDHQ) are frigging lifers here... (RCR Major with a CD and thats it?!?)

I for one am pretty excited, this is a good move for the Army, it gives us all something to aspire to in addition to JTF2 (if thats your thing). Speaking with friends in Pet and Gagetown, it seems that certain parts of the sigs community are pretty 'stoked' to get involved. Hopefully this will turn out to be a good thing, both the JATF and CANSOFCOM HQ.

Haggis said:
Couldn't they come up with a better name than Joint Action Task Force?   Why not ressurect "Special Service Force"??   Build on the warrior customs and hardy traditions of The Devil's Brigade.

There were several options, including stuff with "support" in the title, but in the end, SOF community felt JATF best described what the force would do, and it lines up with the bigger SOF family around the world...terms such as JSOTF/CJSOTF/CJATF/etc... 

...well that and Gen Hillier liked it, too.

While having supported SSF folks in the past but not being in the force myself, I'm not sure JATF is any worse than SSF in the sense that does "Special Service" any better define and lay a path for future ops than "Joint Action" (which is what it will be, albeit it soldier/infantry heavy)?  Also, who say JATF isn't going to build on the customs and hardy traditions of the Devil's Brigade.

I never heard folks from the hill complaining that there wasn't SF or SOF somewhere in JTF's name...no reason to winge about it here.  Folks should be looking forward to what a great organization the JATF can be, not whingeing about how the name could have been something better.

...now the tan beret...that one came out of left field! ::)

Cheers,
Duey

Why does everything have to be in Ontario?Whats wrong with man,Sask,ab,BC.Spread the army out why bunch it up? :cdn:

MikeH said:
Why does everything have to be in Ontario?Whats wrong with man,Sask,ab,BC.Spread the army out why bunch it up? :cdn:
To defend Ottawa from 10 Mtn Div - if you haven't heard that conspiracy theory yet.

There aren't enough Prairie girls to support a base.

Tan beret?  Hmmm, my spidey senses are detecting a trend here. 

Now for the important question.  What's the housing like in Pett?  Should us real estate investors be buying up rental properties?!  HAHA

CFL said:
Being located in Pet is convenient for their major goal of supporting the JTF who are based in Ottawa.

We have a winner!

Besides, the HQ has already been stood up, and the barracks built all in wonderful Pet!

The location will definitely determine that only the guys who really want to soldier will try out (posted to Pet - shudder)

MikeH said:

its not really bunched up though, there are reg force units in Alberta, Manatoba, Quebec and New Brunswick, as well as navy bases in BC and Nova Scotia. the whole purpose of these guys is to support the J, so whats the point of having them in saskachewan ? also the more bases we have the more $$$$$ it costs to operate them, lets stick with what we have where we have it ! pet is a big training area, it can easily handle another Bn, not that im going to look forward to returning there though !

pbi said:
It will be created by drawing in selectees from across the CF (although everybody readily admits that most will be Army, most of those will be Inf, and most of those will probably be from the Lt Bns. It will NOT be recruited off the street.

By being created - does that mean the first group will be hand-picked (isn't that how JTF 2 started??) - lucky bums

curious in the 'bridge

little jim said:
By being created - does that mean the first group will be hand-picked (isn't that how JTF 2 started??) - lucky bums

If what you mean by hand picked is selecting Officers and NCO's that have specific experience in TRG and conducting Sm. team tactics, then why not?.  They will most likely be looking for the experience of the Cbt Arms in the interm for their leadership and experience to allow for a smooth transition into an operational unit.  Additionally the selection and trg of Cpl's and below will require an enormous amount of manpower to reach Bn strength within the projected time frame, so I'd imagine that they would prefer to spend less trg time teaching and assesing leadership abilities of of their potential leadership.

Well, CFL's post should announce the fact that the ninjasniper factor on Army.ca is going to increase exponentially - now we'll see the following;

"Yoyo, Im going to earn the BROWN berriet.  I want to be a SNIPER or a rappeler.  CaN I be go JTF and JATF, do Pathfinder course and do the Ranger course?  Will I be able to keep my jumpwings from cadits? I was gold star and can due 200 pushups and run 2 mile in 3 minutes; do you think I'm ready?

Kewl,
Kanadiansniperforce recon

Since most of the handpicked already had SOAC -- I'm guess SOAC'lite for the applicants will not be too pleasant.

Pet is a beautiful trg area -- but its going to be packed -- when 1 Chicken moved up and the CAR was still drawing breath it was tight.  I am guessing they will doing a lot of trg down south as well though.

I still have a cottage 43km from Pet -- so pizza and beer weekends for the Pat's I know  ;)

CFL said:
GO your not thinking of NOT trying for it are you?

Well, to tell the truth, I would really like to leave Edmonton, and get posted to Pet, because I think Alberta's taxes are too low, and I would like to contribute to Ontario more.

I know my wife is only joking when she says she enjoys being gainfully employed, in her area of expertise, and  I'm sure she could get a job wiping down gym equipment in Pet though. (She's unilingual - gasp!)

I don't really like living in the city here, with easy access to all of the benefits that that affords, and would love to get sent to a unit that will undoubtedly pride itself on even MORE c0ck than even the 3rd Bn can muster.

Having said all of that - if I can get myself back into shape after this "rough spot" I'll be at the selection! Chance of a lifetime!

In the words of one of my NCO's - "wives come and go, but your career will be with you forever!"

At 3 RCR I hear of all these NCOs MCpl to MWO being posted to JATF.
So where is it they are being posted to?
And is there any strength to the thought that these NCOs are posted in next yr to build the training cadre for the actual JATF companies?
Any CSS posting being offered yet? (somehting I will be inquiring about with my CoC next week)

Sniper-Scuba-Ninja-Commando-Patrolman ? I am on board !!! Seriously, No I will not apply. Although I wish those that are seriously trying out for it the best of luck !

I thought some one posted that they have built the JATF lines in Pet. If thats the case, where are they at? Last I was at Pet (Last fall), I didn't see any new buildings.

ArmyRick said:
I thought some one posted that they have built the JATF lines in Pet. If thats the case, where are they at? Last I was at Pet (Last fall), I didn't see any new buildings.
No new building less the upgraded OBUA site...

There is no such spot here in Petawawa. Hence my questions above.

Back