• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Press: Canadian Artillery obsolete and inaccurate

Scott,  Agreed but that was then this is now. Accuracy and collateral damage discussion.
CBH99 - you don't have a dog in this fight.

Guys, take it to PM.

Some of us are following this thread. I was wondering why we didn't just use our LG-1's - posted to that effect quite a while ago but go no substantive answer (I think george mentioned that the effects on target are different). This has been, and will hopefully continue to be informative.

*edit* is there a mod that can truncate this thread back to it's original form?

I to am curious why the LG1 did not get the go ahead. I would suggest that the triple 7 is a better gun and has been on the guns acquisition radar for some time this may be as simple as right moment to get it pushed through. The size of projectile makes this a much better gun to employ on combat ops. The LG1 is a bit of a hybrid and with only a 105mm projectile it is not going to win an argument for employment over the 777.

Not to mention that many gunners (at W Bty, at least) who worked with both the C3 and LG1 didn't have a very high opinion of the LG1. Trails were very heavy and the wheels really tiny - and the gun kept bottoming out in deployments as a result.

Here's the link from Army Technology on the M777:

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/ufh/

Most of our current LG-1's are not fit for service due to excessive wear on the barrels  firing heer rounds.

On a lot of the pictures I've found of the LG-1, there's a thing mounted on top of the barrel that looks like search light. What is that? There looks to be a recoil trunnion above the barrel, and the light thing is on top of that.

M777 was the best gun at this time for Afghanistan. It has range and it can be airlifted.

The barrel life is I believe is rated at 20,000 rounds at top charge. A temperature sensor is mounted on the barrel, it has three ranges, "green", "yellow", and "red". You don't need to be a gunner to understand what the colors mean.

I have to check the gun manual but other factors can determind ROT(rounds on target). Weather conditions being one.

Dirt or damaged bands on the shell can throw off your calculations. Damp charge bags. Gunners job ain't easy with this new gun but its the best that is available considering the situation at the time.

GUNS said:
A temperature sensor is mounted on the barrel, it has three ranges, "green", "yellow", and "red". You don't need to be a gunner to understand what the colors mean.
Don't you mean "even gunners can understand what the colours mean."? 
;D

I think that "searchlight" you are referring to would be the MVI (muzzle velocity indicator). By calculating muzzle velocities of different charges the command post can plot the rounds more accurately, putting the round more precisely where the foo wants it.

IF the Canadian press thinks our artillery is inaccurate maybe the artillery guys can arrange a visit to one of there ranges and place the press members as targets to demonstrate the artillery effectiveness I am sure that would change the reporters minds  ;D

Back