• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Officials Visit US Deserter

So,

Who paid for their trip down there?  Themselves, the Party, We taxpayers?

Is this now a precedence they  have set?  They will visit a deserter of a foreign nation, in that person's country.

Wonder how many famlilies, of the fallen, and wounded Canadian soldiers those two have travelled to visit.

dileas

tess

In days gone past, a dishonorable discharge had drastic consequences when job hunting. I wonder if anyone even pays attention now, except for sensitive postions requiring a security clearance....

Flawed Design said:
Is there an email address or something for Olivia Chow and Borys Wrzesnewskyj? I'd like to mail them and send my regards.

Olivia Chow (NDP), MP Trinity-Spadina
Parliament Hill:
362 West Block, House Of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6

Tel: 613-992-2352
Fax: 613-992-6301

Constituency Office:
144 Augusta Ave
Toronto, ON M5T 2L5

Tel: 416-533-2710
Fax: 416-533-2236

Email Olivia at:
chowo@parl.gc.ca

-----

Borys Wrzesnewskyj (Lib), Etobicoke Centre
Parliament Hill:
362 West Block, House Of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6

Constituency Office
250 Wincott Drive, Unit 29 (In Richview Plaza)
Etobicoke, Ontario
M9R 2R5

Telephone: (416) 249-7322

Email: wrzesb@parl.gc.ca

Join Borys on Facebook!
http://www.new.facebook.com/pages/Borys-Wrzesnewskyj/6713503557

-------------

Don't be shy, and please use spell-check.
Oh, and don't expect your opinions to carry too much weight -- they're opposition members desperate only to get elected to a majority government....and you're writing from a place they simply cannot recognize -- beyond the Greater Toronto Area.

desertfox115 said:
I hope they did not use government funds to see our poor boy since we are in a deep recession. Instead it :mad: could be used to help other Canadians that really need the help. ::) :-[ :crybaby:

Agreed, I also noted he misses his son. Not only did the soldier try and seek refuge here but starting a family too while in the country illegally.... Whatever will they tell their son as he grows up? That in itself is very sad.

He is where he belongs to be, send him home.. leave him where he is, minus 'visits' on Canadians tax dollars, from those who should have stayed home.. or perhaps a visit instead to some of our wounded warriors and families, or those serving would equate for something alot more commendable.

Oh so the DESERTER misses his son. Well I freakin really miss mine :'(. The difference is that he will see his son one day.
I don't want to play the poor me role....but this is garbage and Olivia and this other twerp need to know that 116 CANADIAN families miss their sons, husbands, brothers, grandsons, etc. :rage:

I'm fit to be tied. rant ends, but I don't know for how long.
As far as I'm concerned, Ms Chow and her Liberal puppet are as near to being traitors as can be. Not quite there, but close.

Oh heck.  Why we don't we just re-unite the family and give daddy a government job, like say Olivia & her husband Jack's personal parliamentary page, so that they can all self-actualize?

quote: My heart sank, it was very heavy," Chow said after the meeting. "I was angry that Canada deported him."

Does her heart not sink for the families of soldiers KIA? This just clarifies for me why I'd never vote NDP. The thought of people being like this in office, to possibly let deserters stay here... while our soldiers are fighting and getting killed overseas... cringe. They should be ashamed of themselves for this lack of respect. 

proudnurse said:
quote: My heart sank, it was very heavy," Chow said after the meeting. "I was angry that Canada deported him."

Does her heart not sink for the families of soldiers KIA? This just clarifies for me why I'd never vote NDP. The thought of people being like this in office, to possibly let deserters stay here... while our soldiers are fighting and getting killed overseas... cringe. They should be ashamed of themselves for this lack of respect.  

Typical of the new NDP...worry about murderers, cowards and thugs rather than honest folk.

They do advocate bringing us home immediately, so you can't say they don't worry about us either.

But then many of us may or may not agree with that option.

OldSolduer said:
Oh so the DESERTER misses his son. Well I freakin really miss mine :'(. The difference is that he will see his son one day.
I don't want to play the poor me role....but this is garbage and Olivia and this other twerp need to know that 116 CANADIAN families miss their sons, husbands, brothers, grandsons, etc. :rage:

I'm fit to be tied. rant ends, but I don't know for how long.
As far as I'm concerned, Ms Chow and her Liberal puppet are as near to being traitors as can be. Not quite there, but close.

That's not a rant, because it comes from your heart.

Thanks for the support folks. You are truly the best people on this earth.

As far as Olivia and her Liberal puppet are concerned, they are not relevant. When they seem to care more about a foreigner...a deserter at that, than their OWN CITIZENS, I take offence at that. :rage:

Ms. Chow doesn't care about this guy more, or less, than she cares about you and/or I,.......this guy just happens to get her cheap political milage.
Its not like she could possibly come up with something intelligent about the recession that would might score her press time.

Once an attention whore,.........

Were public funds used to pay for this trip? If so, do you think I should write to the Auditor General about this? I'd be pretty furious if it turned out that our tax dollars were spent so that MPs could visit American cowards. At any rate, this is an epic fail on the part of elected representatives to waste time while they are on our dime to visit foreign criminals for no apparent or logical reason.

OldSolduer said:
Thanks for the support folks. You are truly the best people on this earth.

As far as Olivia and her Liberal puppet are concerned, they are not relevant. When they seem to care more about a foreigner...a deserter at that, than their OWN CITIZENS, I take offence at that. :rage:

Now, if only people in her Riding remember that during the next election; that she cares more about foreigners, than Canadians, then perhaps she will not sit in the next Parliament.

Hello
I just read an article titled
"Canadian Officials Visit US Deserter
March 16, 2009
"
The two of you, Olivia Chow and Borys Wrzesnewskyj traveled to San Diego to visit a U.S Army deserter.
I'm a Canadian soldier who just returned from Afghanistan.

First I will start by saying I actually don't bear Mr Long any ill will.  He chose to run to Canada to avoid deploying with the military, it happens. As a soldier I would MUCH rather someone who's 'head wasn't in the game' to stay home rather than (theoretically) serve beside me. I'm not going to get all worked up start calling him names or whatever that some people seem inclned to do.
As I see it he is serving his "tour" in jail and will be released from the military, that's fine by me. I wish him and his family the best.

I  first wanted to ask you about a comment you made.
""My heart sank, it was very heavy," Chow said after the meeting. "I was angry that Canada deported him."
This in response I understand it to him missing his young son in Canada.

I miss my daughter (and family) when I deploy. I've missed my 3 year old daughters birthday twice and missed Christmas twice with her too.  The difference between Mr Long and the soldiers that DO deploy overseas is that where as Mr Long can pretty much count on seeing his son in 15 months the rest of us can't make that claim. How many Canadian soldiers won't be able to see their families again? How may children won't see their father (or mother)? How many mothers and fathers won't see their son or daughter alive again?
A heavy heart you say because he won't see his son for 15 months

I'll tell you something, if that gives you a heavy heart you should introduce yourself to Cpl William Kerr (for but one example).  He's a father who lost both his legs and his arm- he's currently in Ottawa undergoing physical therapy. Very good friend of mind, like your man Mr Long, he too is in high spirits and without complaint. He's getting married in August and has vowed to dance  at his wedding- what a guy!

Anyhow a few questions if I may.
Who paid for your trip to San Diego? 
Have you ever traveled to Afghanistan to visit the soldiers deployed there? If not will the both of you be making a trip to visit Canadian soldiers currently over in Afghanistan?  (If you do I promise you that you regardless of your politics you will be treated friendly and taken good care of!)
Have you visited any of the Canadian soldiers who have been wounded in Afghanistan either at their homes or who are still in the hospital? Families of the fallen?
What was the driving factor in visiting a US soldier in jail who was deported from Canada?
Do you really feel bad for him, really connect with him or is this some kind of political thing??

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I'm not used to writing these things it's just that reading the story about the both of you going down south left me with a few questions about members of my government.

Cheers

Respectfully

Excellent letter Flawed Design! You kept a cool head and wrote something eloquent and from the heart. I hope you receive a response as respectful and well thought out as what you've asked of these misguided MPs.

Don't be surprised if you get some mealy mouthed reply that praises the "hero war resister" while suggesting that you and the Conservative government are the real villains. If they respond at all.

He's doing a 15 month jail sentence? That's just about as long as he would be doing if he was sent overseas right?
Seems too easy

Actually I have many friends in the US Army that have done several 18 month tours so he is getting off easy.

I have submitted my application to join the CF but I currently live in the US and my wife and children are American. My wife wanted me to at least look at the US Army before joining the Canadian Army.  The US Army has signing bonuses for $2000 to $40,000 and you get the GI Bill which for $1200 gives you over $80,000 for college. Most of those 200 deserters in Canada had no problem with their free education and bonuses, not to mention free healthcare and housing. The US Army even pays for the soldiers food. And this son born in Canada to an American with no status. Who paid for the son to be born? Canadian tax payers?

I will say that making him stay in the US will be punishment enough because work places that pay anything do background checks and dishonorable discharge will disqualify him from any good jobs. That means this guy will be making minimum wage for the rest of his life in the US and will regret it. I can understand draft dodgers even though I think it wrong but volunteer Army deserters should be shot. Or dropped in the middle of the battle field they were running from by himself with no support.

I can tell you Canada's stance of not allowing deserters to stay is being praised here in America and among the America Army. I would expect the US would do the same if the roles were reversed.

C'mon everyone. No more harping against Layton's wife.

This has NOTHING to do with a US deserter and EVERYTHING with Chow getting a shopping trip and media face time. She knows her trip will accomplish nothing except frequent flyer miles and a couple of more minor 65 year old hippie votes.

Back