• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian navy pilot

Sleep.
Eat.
Watch movies.
Ediited to add: I guess I have a dated answer... forgot plays Xbox and/or PS4

Well, interestingly enough: He/She flies the helicopter. Which itself involves being in tactical command of the helicopter crew for any given mission - thus he/she has to gather the relevant information, come up with the plan and brief his/her crew on the next flight and making sure everybody gets the proper rest period and do the proper self- teaching training to stay up to date.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Well, interestingly enough: He/She flies the helicopter. Which itself involves being in tactical command of the helicopter crew for any given mission - thus he/she has to gather the relevant information, come up with the plan and brief his/her crew on the next flight and making sure everybody gets the proper rest period and do the proper self- teaching training to stay up to date.

Actually, some of that is the crew commander, which isn't necessarily a pilot.

Baz said:
Sleep.
Eat.
Watch movies.
Ediited to add: I guess I have a dated answer... forgot plays Xbox and/or PS4

You left out: Drink coffee.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

You're assuming the helicopter works, which is a big assumption!  In the old days, the pilots were important to run the projector for movies in the Wardroom, but DVDs have left them largely unemployed.  I always found it interesting that the helicopter would be broken for most of a deployment, but fixed just in time for the aircrew to fly off as we returned from a deployment.  They also seemed to break down a lot while ashore in places like Hawaii, or is that just selective memory...

Pusser said:
You're assuming the helicopter works, which is a big assumption!  In the old days, the pilots were important to run the projector for movies in the Wardroom, but DVDs have left them largely unemployed.  I always found it interesting that the helicopter would be broken for most of a deployment, but fixed just in time for the aircrew to fly off as we returned from a deployment.  They also seemed to break down a lot while ashore in places like Hawaii, or is that just selective memory...

Know you know why they get paid more then everybody else on the ship; it takes a lot of skill to pull off the things you mention, skills which are very valuable outside of the military.

Pusser said:

In the old days, the Supply Department used to either lose our parts or order the wrong parts for our helicopter, on a fairly routine basis.

Of course, it could be just selective memory...

In the old days, the recently "purple" supply departments using the new "unified' system screwed up a lot of orders.

I remember an order for a replacement gun barrel for the 5 inch gun on a IRO that resulted in a Centurion 105 mm L7 barrel showing up on the jetty. Would have been less funny if it hadn't been attached to the actual Centurion  ;D

Back