• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Navy certification, good enough for merchant marine?

Johnf1981

Inactive
Reaction score
The Canadian Coast Guard accepts applications for jobs at the entry level. The following are the prerequisites: Marine Emergency Duties (MED) A1,B1 and B2.

Most  Merchant marine company and cruise lines also accept applicant with those certification for entry level  able seaman position.

So my question is, do the Sea Environmental course cover all this?
Could someone be employed outside the military with only those certification?

Thanks

Johnf1981 said:
The Canadian Coast Guard accepts applications for jobs at the entry level. The following are the prerequisites: Marine Emergency Duties (MED) A1,B1 and B2.

Most  Merchant marine company and cruise lines also accept applicant with those certification for entry level  able seaman position.

Thanks

Reading through the Coast Guard website, I don't know for sure about them.  However, as all merchant and cruise lines will most likely have different hiring criteria, your best bet is to contact them with the particulars of the course and go from there.  Even still, they will probably have ship specific training that you must also go through.

BTW, you might find it easier to contact them with the details of the course once you have actually taken and passed it.  It's great that you are looking at different options for your future, but I suggest that you concentrate on being accepted and getting through BMQ first, if that is the path that you are choosing.

My son has MED, and is planning on more courses next year,so I e-mailed him to see if he can answer your question.

:cdn:
Hawk

The Coast Guard got caught out back in the 90's when they wanted to move their ships from coast to coast through the Panama Canal. Most of the Ships Officers had coast Guard certificates from the CCG college. These had no legal standing outside of Canadian waters, much headless chicken running about ensured. After that they changed things so the graduates got certificates that were good overseas. I am not sure if Canadian Naval certificates are valid outside of the navy, even though the firefighting and damage control training exceeds the M.E.D. training. In a perfect world they should be valid or transferable, I suspect however you will have to retake the courses.

Johnf1981 said:

Thanks

Naval Fighting (2 day course) and sea survival will give you a bypass on some aspects of the MED course. Give sea div in Halifax a call and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Just heard from my son. He tells me that Navy certification gives you MED. Employment in merchant marine requires at least a Watchkeeping Certificate from an authorized facility. He tells me that ex-Navy seems to have a hard time of it, from people he knows, and regardless, need the additional certificates to qualify. I gather the courses are very good, and The Kid, at least, really enjoyed his MED and is looking forward to doing the rest next year.

Hope this is of help.

Hawk

First of all, thank you all.

MED A1 - Basic Safety
MED B1 - Lifeboat Survival Craft
MED B2 - Firefighting

Those are the course required for the cost guard and most cruise line and merchant ships.
Those certification are probably not all taught at the Sea Environmental course. I think they are reserved for the boatswain training.
I asked this question because I was supposed to become a storemen but found out they don't serve munch on-board ships it's more of a land trade. Can't be a boatswain, scored too low on my CFAT, I would have used those certification for a career in the marine merchant or for a cruise line but know now that the Sea Environmental course is irrelevant in the civy world

This board is awesome, they scr*wed me big time at the RC.
I sure won't sign my contract now and will go study Basic Marine Navigation at the community college instead.

Thanks again all, I won't be coming back to this board, i got all the info i needed.
bye

Sorry to hear that! Best of luck with your MED. The Kid found them really interesting, lots of neat stuff to learn and try, and is looking forward to the rest.

Hawk

This board is awesome, they scr*wed me big time at the RC.
I sure won't sign my contract now and will go study Basic Marine Navigation at the community college instead.

Bye Bye

Hmmmm....you won't train me in the special courses I want to have a career somewhere else, so I got screwed?

bye bye

Johnf1981 said:
Can't be a boatswain, scored too low on my CFAT,

But:

will go study Basic Marine Navigation at the community college instead.

The latter might prove to be a bit of a slog, academically. An honest look at the curriculum would be worthwhile before laying down a year's tuition.

Back