• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian modular assault rifle project, a C7 replacement?

I’ve had my eyes opened about the effectiveness of an 11 inch barrel at 1-300 m by a friend at the RCMP. He also showed me what white phosphorous dual tubes look like and I and overcome with jealousy.

Sounds like one of their ERT guns. That’ll shoot .300 Blackout, as opposed to 5.56.

I know you are being sarcastic, but the CAF could easily retain some rifles for certain applications- the USMC and US Army retain old M1903 Springfield 30-06 bolt action rifles for those purposes.

Rest on your arms reverse is a little tough with a carbine ;)
I am. But only because sometimes the most ridiculous equipment and dress requirements are born in a cubicle or the Mess.

We are hard pressed to maintain our operational weapons. Adding ceremonial weapons to the fleet is more work for nothing.

If the Brits can drill with the SA-80 and the French with the FAMAS, we can certainly drill with an AR platform carbine/SBR.

The ability to mount a laser and without sticking it way out as a curb feeler…
What if we changed all the barrels to 11.5" with one of silencerco's flash hider mounts and a M-LOK fore end? Would that be an acceptable option for the rifle? All the mods could be done at unit level. Or just buy complete top ends? Maybe a piston buffer to get rid of the spring noise?

What if we changed all the barrels to 11.5" with one of silencerco's flash hider mounts and a M-LOK fore end? Would that be an acceptable option for the rifle? All the mods could be done at unit level. Or just buy complete top ends? Maybe a piston buffer to get rid of the spring noise?
Lowers are cheap - while a logistical issue (the S/N) getting a complete weapon versus an upper isn’t significantly different in price (at Government levels) unless someone is screwing you.

Lowers are cheap - while a logistical issue (the S/N) getting a complete weapon versus an upper isn’t significantly different in price (at Government levels) unless someone is screwing you.
PSPC has entered the chat….

PSPC has entered the chat….
Colt Canada has its own pricing schedule as well.
Years ago, Colt Canada quoted Garry Crocker the then LCMM for small arms $750 for RAS rails for CAF C7 and C8’s.
I went and send an email from my CAF account to LtCol Dave Lutz (USMC RET.) who was VP of Military Operations at KAC, and got a quote for $225 for the same item.
*I already knew Dave and had a good relationship.
I sent the quote to Gary and we had a very interesting chat.
Gary went to work for Colt Canada on his retirement and I went to work for Knight’s Armament…

When I worked at KAC spent the better part of 4 years trying to pull the CAF small arms into the modern age from 2009-2013, including on talking to DLR staff about programs that had nothing to do with anything related to me, just trying to help them see ‘other options’.
I gave up as I was just banging my head against a brick wall.

1) The fact the CDN Gov has Colt Canada in the position they are without it being a crown corporation just boggles my mind…
2) Quite often obsolete items are acquired due to DLR etc just wanting to get more of the same (SIMRAD has entered the chat) when other part of the CAF had acquired much newer items (and cheaper) was baffling to me.
3) The Triad pitchfork, ended up costing Canadian Taxpayers a fortune - sure it was cheap, but it caused a slew of lost or damaged PEQ and PAC lasers. Also as it mounts directly to the front sight has block heat from firing gets transferred into the Triad and laser and light - About as dumb as one can be there - plus it puts a lot of weight out front - awkward for shooting etc.

4) After 1 specific trial, I just decided that I was doing nothing but raising my stress level and focused on programs for militaries that seemed to care.

Back