• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military can work in Europe and Asia at the same time

‘Walk and chew gum at the same time’, finally, a clear strategic vision for the CAF ;)

What? Why would growing out footprint in Asia require us to shrink our footprint in Europe?

I thought we were the ‘do everything’ organization the government relies on for, well, everything. So surely that means we can also be everywhere too, no?

It’s not like national SAR, national defence, propping up other country’s defences (eFP in Latvia, a 6-pack of Hornets to police Romanian skies, SOF in Ukraine/Iraq/Syria/elsewhere, warships supporting Ukraine in OPReassurance, warship in South Pacific doing the odd run through the Taiwan Straight, trainers for Iraq/Ukraine, embassy security, CP teams for VIP’s, etc - plus forest fires, floods, hurricane relief, Covid (just cuz) - plus all the dog & pony shows we’ve had to do along the way.

Good thing recruiting got streamlined & we are growing! We’re gonna need all those peeps! Oh, wait…

(On a more serious note, for a military our size, we really do take on a lot… i’m sure there are a few things that I forgot in my above post that we also do.)

Statement of obvious. Let's see if those bright people have the backbone to quantify their meaningless qualitative assertion.

“I can confirm that we will be committing additional troops to that endeavour in Latvia as we move to brigade level,” Anand said. “The precise number of troops will depend on the other complimentary contributions that the other member countries will be making.”

From this I take it that the existing eFP Battlegroup will be expanded to a full eFP Brigade but the exact Canadian contribution to that will depend on what the other member nations agree to contribute to the formation.

NORAD and Space stuff come to mind.
I lumped that in with the ‘national defence stuff’ - but good call.

I did forget to mention both our strategic & tactical airlift fleets assisting UN Forces throughout the world, 2 being forward deployed currently to assist with Ukrainian stuff, etc

(Just incase we weren’t busy enough)

I lumped that in with the ‘national defence stuff’ - but good call.

I did forget to mention both our strategic & tactical airlift fleets assisting UN Forces throughout the world, 2 being forward deployed currently to assist with Ukrainian stuff, etc

(Just incase we weren’t busy enough)
To bad we didn't get two more C17's and be able to rotate the fleet to keep flight hours down.

(On a more serious note, for a military our size, we really do take on a lot… i’m sure there are a few things that I forgot in my above post that we also do.)

OTOH, where everything is a priority, nothing is a priority

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Increase our presence in Latvia. Increase our efforts in the Pacific. A mission to Haiti and a shit start to the ice storm season. And not enough equipment. Let's see how she handles this. What am I saying.🫢 They'll just fire the CDS and blame white nationalist extremism. 🙄

From this I take it that the existing eFP Battlegroup will be expanded to a full eFP Brigade but the exact Canadian contribution to that will depend on what the other member nations agree to contribute to the formation.
Did not the commander of the mission just state we could do away, quite handly, with the russians?
Until they send the tanks, I'm not diving into the hype.
Maybe trudeau is just trying to change the message again to deflect from all his malfeasance. Then again, he's always making promises he has no intention of fulfilling. For him, it's just a big PR plan with no substance.

No shortage of staff officers to lead HQs.
Ironically there is a shortage of staff officers, particularly at project offices.

It's part of the reason why procurement is proceeding at a glacial pace - people complain that it takes so long to get stuff, but aren't willing to get posted to write the SORs and documentation to get said stuff.

Did not the commander of the mission just state we could do away, quite handly, with the russians?
Until they send the tanks, I'm not diving into the hype.
Maybe trudeau is just trying to change the message again to deflect from all his malfeasance. Then again, he's always making promises he has no intention of fulfilling. For him, it's just a big PR plan with no substance.

FFS, people here and on CAF Reddit are misreading the article. He says that the NATO battle group would win, not just the CAF contribution to it.

RIGA, Latvia - The Canadian officer commanding a NATO battle group in Latvia says Russian forces would be routed if they dared launch an attack against Canadian troops and their allies stationed in the Baltic country on Russia's western border.

"I think we'd win by a fair margin," Lt.-Col. Jesse van Eijk, head of the Enhanced Forward Presence Latvia battle group, said in an interview Wednesday.

We can certainly do both, provided there is a massive influx of funding, personnel, and equipment coming our way in the near future.

If not, well.... you can technically butter 4 slices of bread with one pat. Doesn't mean you have the coverage or flavour profile you intended.

I like his confidence.

He must be in the process of handing over and going on to a stellar upwards career move, well away from the front line ;)
To be fair he is talking about the current Russian Army.

FFS, people here and on CAF Reddit are misreading the article. He says that the NATO battle group would win, not just the CAF contribution to it.
I'll give you my answer, because you decided to call me out.

Where did I say the Canadian contingent? I said the Commander of the Mission.

Yes, people are misreading what is being said. ;)

Back