• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Manpower Centres as CFRCs

geo

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
From a personal perspective, why aren't we using the Canadian Manpower centres to handle the recruiting bureaucracy....
Remember reading somewhere that Australia is doing that..... while we could "post" some military types within CMCs, it certainly would free up some people

Didn't we do something like that back in the 70's? I seem to remember being home on leave and recruiting being with Canada Manpower in Vancouver.

Not sure...
But, so long as you give them the bureaucratic procedures to follow, the clericals should be able to deal with it.
A couple of Military types on staff to provide guidance and resolve issues with DMCARM could work

Do RCMP have their own recruiting centres?  I suspect we have a few more employment requirements in common with them (health & fitness) than with most other elements of the PS.

Yikes,

Manpower as a CFRC?  I know the national director of Manpower Canada and frankly speaking, their staff are not well trained enough to handle the rigours of the CFRC (even administratively).  No private companies should ever be involved with handling recruitment for the Armed Forces.  The turn over is too high, dress and deportment is not of CF calibre and who would want to talk to a 22 year old about a life decision to which they know nothing of?  Manpower is good for filling roles at various companies at lower levels, I'll admit.

I can say this only because I'm a recruitment manager (formerly an account manager) at a national recruitment firm and have inside knowledge of how Manpower and similar companies work.

J

Fireball said:
Yikes,

Manpower as a CFRC?  I know the national director of Manpower Canada and frankly speaking, their staff are not well trained enough to handle the rigours of the CFRC (even administratively).  No private companies should ever be involved with handling recruitment for the Armed Forces.  The turn over is too high, dress and deportment is not of CF calibre and who would want to talk to a 22 year old about a life decision to which they know nothing of?  Manpower is good for filling roles at various companies at lower levels, I'll admit.

I can say this only because I'm a recruitment manager (formerly an account manager) at a national recruitment firm and have inside knowledge of how Manpower and similar companies work.

J

As maybe, however there is some merit to the idea. If the manpower staff were to refer those persons using the service to the members posted there, then the forces probably could reduce the number staff required for recruitment, and only have to deal with the those persons truely interested in joining.

I'd normally agree except for the fact that pretty much all recruiters work on a combo of base salary + commissions.  A truly exceptional civvie recruiter would not want to be the front-gate to a bunch of folks off the street who walk in looking for a 'job' in the CF.  I'd suspect that at ground level the turnover would be really high in this type of role, leading to training gaps and inconsistency in service.  I wouldn't want some $12/hour kid out of college/university (no insult intended) being the front lines to an elite employer like the CF handling sensitive materials like security application forms, references, personal data, educational info, etc.

My two cents...
J

Fireball said:
I'd normally agree except for the fact that pretty much all recruiters work on a combo of base salary + commissions.  A truly exceptional civvie recruiter would not want to be the front-gate to a bunch of folks off the street who walk in looking for a 'job' in the CF.  I'd suspect that at ground level the turnover would be really high in this type of role, leading to training gaps and inconsistency in service.  I wouldn't want some $12/hour kid out of college/university (no insult intended) being the front lines to an elite employer like the CF handling sensitive materials like security application forms, references, personal data, educational info, etc.

My two cents...
J

Much of what you say is true, however the Manpower centres are staffed by federal civilian employees, and not on salary and commission (to the best of my knowledge). In this instance they would probably be good at vetting out the lookieloos and only referring the serious people to the recruiters.

Fireball,
Am uncertain how Australia deals with the points you have brought up but, they are doing it and .... it appears to be working.
If we are to reduce our "staff" overhead and maintain more troops at the pointy end, we have to think and look outside of what we have been doing the last 20 years.

OK,

Maybe I'm getting things mixed up.  When you say " Canadian Manpower" do you mean the company called Manpower - the same publicly traded company that has offices all around the world and HQ'd somewhere in Europe?  This is what I am basing my judgement on.  See link - http://www.ca.manpower.com/cacom/index.html.

J

Fireball said:
OK,

Maybe I'm getting things mixed up.  When you say " Canadian Manpower" do you mean the company called Manpower - the same publicly traded company that has offices all around the world and HQ'd somewhere in Europe?  This is what I am basing my judgement on.  See link - http://www.ca.manpower.com/cacom/index.html.

J

No, we are referring to the Federal governments manpower/job search employment centres.

http://www.jobsetc.ca/category_drilldown.jsp?category_id=40&crumb=13&crumb=158
http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/AboutUs_en.aspx

When I was a recruiter in the late 70's, early 80's, we did mobile recruiting visits to outlying towns and used the Canada Manpower offices to do the recruiting.  Each manpower office had a board listing all the trades for the CF that were being recruited.  Individuals who were interested in the CF were told when our next visit was going to be and then when we showed up we were able to do an initial interview, preliminary aptitude test,and then for those who passed the aptitude test, a secondary interview where we would give them an appointment and instructions on how to get to the CFRC Det for the CF battery of tests, medical and Career Counsellor interview all the same day.  The Manpower Centres were great in not only giving us office space to use, but also in their consideration of mentioning careers with the CF to clients whose files they were working on.

Yep,

Silly me.  Whenever I hear mention of Manpower the first thing that comes to mind is the publicly traded global company, and I was passing judgement based on that.

Of course a gov't run recruitment office makes sense.  HRDC are ok folks (I do a couple of presentations/year there) but by no means should be used for extensive and in-depth CF applications.  Front line screening is probably a good way to go if the CF engaged "Canadian Manpower".

**On a side note, the word ManPower isn't very PC nowadays - I'm surprised the gov't still uses that moniker.

J

Fireball said:
On a side note, the word ManPower isn't very PC nowadays - I'm surprised the gov't still uses that moniker.
Only in Quebec by the looks of the links I posted.

If it came to a vote, I would say no. There is nothing more inviting to a potential recruit than an office full of military personnel in dress code and behaving as soldiers should. As oppose to civilians who are underpaid and overworked(their words), who wears " I hate my job" as a daily facial expression.

Lets keep soldiers hiring soldiers.

I agree that soldiers should hire soldiers. But maybe there could be sort of an combination of the two to help streamline the whole process.

I did encounter some 'civi's' during my recruitment process, all of which handled me as professional and courteous as those who are members of the forces. What would be the big difference if those 'civi's' were under the HRDC cost, instead of DND cost. In theory it could even free up some cash to put toward other areas that need money.

I think a combination of the two could work. Although for important steps like your career counselor/front desk, swearing in, etc. These should always be manned by 'Soldiers'.

my only suggestion was that the HRDC personnel could handle some of the form filling, paperwork & initial greeting/screening... with some CF personnel posted to the HRDC office.... would still mean a huge reduction in the overhead.

This may be a moot point but would " equal pay for equal work"  come into play here. Having no clue as to the pay regime for Federal employees at Canada Manpower, for argument sake. Would not a Canada Manpower employee want the same pay as an CF personnel doing the same job, if the Canada Manpower employee is making less.

Guns, not certain what the pay grades are at the HRDC these days but, the CFs pay scales are pert much tied at the hip to the Public service pay scales....

Back