• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian LAV III

BernDawg said:
Actually he's asking if the picture was taken in Wainwright Alberta (not a very hospitable place for some) Hence the pithy moniker Wainwrong.  BTW I do believe the carriers were photographed in Wainwright and one of those carriers may have been under superb driving capabilities of one of NATO's top soldiers.  ;)  (Of course that would depend on the year taken)

They got a WAL-Mart now.  ;D

Still waiting for the Timmies...

ACE-72408 1/72 Grizzly Canadian AVGP (Armoured Vehicle General Purpose)

"superb driving capabilities of one of NATO's top soldiers.

Actually I don't think I ever drove an M-113 in Wainwright, but thanks anyway. 8)

Just call me Kreskin!
Word on the street is that there will never be a Timmies in WR.

Building an AVGP Grizzly - Part 1
JP Morgan http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/modern/jpmgriz/jpmgriz.htm

"Recently the Canadian Forces announced that it will re-role some of the AVGP Grizzly fleet, as the LAV III APC replaces it as the APC of choice. These modified Grizzly variants will fulfil the specialized roles of Ambulance (81), Javelin Surface-to-Air Missile Carrier (23), Radio Re-broadcast Vehicle (10), Surface Mineplough Disruption System Vehicle (6), Mobile Repair Team Vehicle (23), and Personnel Carrier (91). No further details were given on the modifications required, what will happen to the remaining Grizzlies, or how the 91 envisioned ‘Personnel Carriers’ will differ from the present Grizzly. The turrets removed from these Grizzlies will be fitted to other vehicles, including the MTVE – the stretched M113 being built for the Engineers.
AVGP Grizzlies will soldier on for many years to come."

edit to add: or so he thinks.

The AVGP Grizzly, manufactured by the General Motors of Canada Diesel Division, entered service in 1976. 8 Grizzly hulls and 39 Grizzly turrets have been declared surplus to the requirements of the Canadian Army. The AVGP Grizzly's primary use is to provide mobility and protection for an 11-person infantry section in combined arms operations. Smith Consulting Group will market and sell them on the Crown's behalf. For further information, please contact Mr. B. Smith at 770-509-0708 or by email at consultbps@att.net. Forget the models I going to get the real thing ;D

M113's and Cougar avaible too: http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dgiip/ddsal/land_e.asp

Edit to the Edit:
AVGP Grizzly Inventory Summary

At present there are approximately 5 each AVGP Grizzly. However, it is anticipated that approximately 100 units will be declared surplus and available for sale in January 2007. http://www.smithtandl.com/services_canada_inventory_AVGP_grizzly.html

So you're seriously going to buy one? What will you do with it? :eek:

BernDawg said:
Just call me Kreskin!
Word on the street is that there will never be a Timmies in WR.

Joy joy... Due to other local coffee shops are scared. At less now I can enjoy my CANEX coffee or the 7 Eleven stuff.  ::)

Apparently they (the locals) thought the same thing would happen in Cold Lake but we now have 2 Timmies and the local businesses are none the worse for wear.

3rd Herd said:
ACE-72408 1/72 Grizzly Canadian AVGP (Armoured Vehicle General Purpose)

Is there a 1/35 scale of this model? I'm interested in the turret.

The Grizzly turret is a standard Cadillac-Gauge 1 meter turret as found on the AAV used by the USMC , simple enough to kit bash, the armament was 1 .50cal and depending on year either a C6GPMG (Mag 58) or a C5 GPMG (Browning M1919A4/6).

Verynice job on the LAVIII but it's too clean, needs more dust/mud :)

Thanks but what is the  AAV? also which has this turret? BTW, thanks for the tip. :)

IIRC the Cadillac Gage V-100 Commando AFV also had the same turret. That gives you another source for kit bashing. The body of the AVGP as you can see was basically the 6 wheeled MOWAG Piranha and I think there are 1/35 kits out there of that.

I might even have a verlinden kit kicking around the basement with that turret.. if I have time I'll check it out..

Bzzliteyr said:
I might even have a verlinden kit kicking around the basement with that turret.. if I have time I'll check it out..

Thank you. :)

BTW the current generation of M113's (i.e. the T-LAV familiy) has the 1 m turret but also has the 40mm grenade launchers mounted right and left of the 50 cal and C-6.

Then all I need is the 1M turret. I'll see who has the kit with the im turret. Need to do another conversion build

Nfld sapperm you are misinformed.  The 20mm grenade launcher people are discussing here is the Mk.19.  The Multi Barreled Grenade Dischargers on the left and right of the turret are 76mm, not 40mm.

Right you are Bzzz same smoke dispensers that were on the Griz & Cougars... considering athat,s where the turrets came from - it's no small wonder ;)

Back