• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Canadian Forces warns members affiliated with radical groups"

Bird_Gunner45 said:
I dont think that anyone is saying that you can't be "Canadian, white, proud, and patriotic" what I think they're saying is that if you want to be a member of le meute do so outside of the CAF. The CAF, after all, isn't a right- like any other employer.

What happens if you start posting that you're a patriotic proud white Canadian?

Jarnhamar said:

hey, no one likes a xenophobe man!!  not cool!!  you should be discharged for that!  ;D

Jarnhamar said:
you're a patriotic proud white Canadian?

You must be the last one! Good on you, you have now also achieved being special in your membership of a single individual category.  ;D

And when every body is special ... then nobody will be. (dixit Syndrome, in "The Incredibles").

Jarnhamar said:
I happen to be all four of those adjectives;  I just never felt a need to make posts about it, wear a t-shirt proclaiming it, or hassle other people for lacking those attributes.

:dunno:

...or that any of them need to be intrinsically linked.

Eye In The Sky said:
hey, no one likes a xenophobe man!!  not cool!!  you should be discharged for that!  ;D

Holy crap I didn't mean me. Don't send the GBA QRF!  I think it's silly to be proud of your race because you have absolutely no control over it. 

I'm saying if someone  started posting they're proud of being white you better believe people will label them a racist. It's a double standard.

Journeyman said:
I happen to be all four of those adjectives;  I just never felt a need to make posts about it, wear a t-shirt proclaiming it, or hassle other people for lacking those attributes.

:dunno:

Hummmmm, no Canadian flags or maple leaf tattoos? Truly?    ;D

mariomike said:
"An investigation by Radio-Canada found about 75 members of La Meute's private Facebook group are part of the Armed Forces, with some visibly identified by their military uniform."

Regarding Facebook, if applying to certain employers,

"Oakville ( ON ) resident Rob MacLeod had breezed through the early stages of the interview process and become a finalist for a police job when he was lobbed a question he hadn’t anticipated:

What is your Facebook password?"
https://www.thestar.com/business/2012/03/20/would_you_reveal_your_facebook_password_for_a_job.html

"So when the request came, MacLeod offered to log in to his Facebook account and then leave the room so the interviewer could browse his page.

But he says the interviewer remained firm — he wanted the password. After a few minutes, MacLeod gave it to him."

I've also heard of some emergency services interviewers asking applicants to "friend" them on Facebook.

I'm a bit dubious about the legality of asking for a password on a personal, non work account, or for having anyone demand you "friend" them as a condition of employment. Since I don't partake of social media like Facebook, I don't have to worry too much, but I'd certainly change the password immediately upon leaving the interview, and use whatever minimalistic security features exist on FB if someone demanded to be placed on my page to isolate them as much as possible were that to be the case.

I have no illusions that anything done on a work computer cam be monitored, and social media is open enough that anyone can "drop in" and view your page at will without being a friend or having your password, so if you choose to be stupid (i.e. posting your amazing rock climbing adventure on the same day you called in sick to work) then you will bear the consequences.

WRT freedom of speech, if you are willing to say something, then you should also have the arguments to back it up. If you disagree with something, then you also should have the arguments to refute the issue in dispute. London's Mayor Matt Brown used the opposite approach by essentially calling out a mob to shout down a Free Speech rally in London, which was cowardly (he didn't have the arguments to refute the free speechers), and stupid (now the bar is lowered, what happens when a mob decides they don't like what Matt Brown is saying?).

This should also be true for employment. Obviously shilling for a competitor or saying or doing something to hurt your company's reputation (narrowly defined) is wrong, and should get you fired, but political speech outside of the workplace isn't one of those areas IMO. The CF and Public Service is the one exception where political speech is exempt, since we work for the Government. If we disagree with Government policy, we are always free to resign and speak publicly as citizens.

Thucydides said:
I'm a bit dubious about the legality of asking for a password on a personal, non work account, or for having anyone demand you "friend" them as a condition of employment.

"There are currently no laws in Ontario prohibiting employers from asking job candidates for Facebook passwords."
https://www.thestar.com/business/2012/03/20/would_you_reveal_your_facebook_password_for_a_job.html

It's just a municipal job interview. You don't have  to give them your password, or "friend" them.

And they don't have to offer you a job either.  :)

Thucydides said:
The CF and Public Service is the one exception where political speech is exempt, since we work for the Government.

If you do get the job, you can get involved in federal and provincial campaign activities. ( When off-duty and not in uniform. ) But, not elections for the municipal government you are employed by.

Thucydides said:
If we disagree with Government policy, we are always free to resign and speak publicly as citizens.

:goodpost:

"If you work for a man, in heaven's name work for him, speak well of him, and stand by the institution he represents. Remember, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness. If you must growl, condemn, and eternally find fault - resign your position, and when you are outside, damn to your heart's content - but as long as you are part of the institution, do not condemn it. If you do, the first high wind that comes along will blow you away, and probably you will never know why."

E. Hubbard

Thucydides said:
I'm a bit dubious about the legality of asking for a password on a personal, non work account, or for having anyone demand you "friend" them as a condition of employment. Since I don't partake of social media like Facebook, I don't have to worry too much, but I'd certainly change the password immediately upon leaving the interview, and use whatever minimalistic security features exist on FB if someone demanded to be placed on my page to isolate them as much as possible were that to be the case.

Police services are able to justify a lot in the context of determining reliability and suitability. There are unique demands and expectations applied to police officers by virtue of their need to retain their credibility in all manners of enforcing the law and protecting the public as well as abiding by their responsibility as agents of the state to respect rights of individuals and groups.

In college, it was drummed into our heads that whatever bias or beliefs you might carry around get put aside once you put on your uniform and start work.  Everyone was to be treated fairly, correctly and professionally and you were to be colour blind as to the citizen's skin tone etc.  I always adhered to that structure and was nice until it became time to not be nice, if it came to that.  It was a fairly easy standard to meet and hold for me.

Jarnhamar said:
Hummmmm, no Canadian flags or maple leaf tattoos? Truly?    ;D
Well OK, one  tattoo has a maple leaf....  but it's not commonly visible.    :cheers:

jollyjacktar said:
In college, it was drummed into our heads that whatever bias or beliefs you might carry around get put aside once you put on your uniform and start work. 

Similar to what they told us, "You come from a society with many prejudices. We won't try to change your beliefs. But, if you treat anyone with disrespect, we will change your employment."

They did too.

mariomike said:
"If you work for a man, in heaven's name work for him, speak well of him, and stand by the institution he represents. Remember, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness. If you must growl, condemn, and eternally find fault - resign your position, and when you are outside, damn to your heart's content - but as long as you are part of the institution, do not condemn it. If you do, the first high wind that comes along will blow you away, and probably you will never know why."

E. Hubbard

OTOH:  ;D

"There is a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates." Patton, War As I Knew It (1947)

And the statue of the man behind all the angst is currently being removed from the park.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/cornwallis-statue-removal-1.4511858

I find it interesting how whenever the statue is brought up it is always a negative because he issued a scalping proclamation. What is ignored whenever this is brought up was his attempts to make peace and avoid war with the Mi'kmaw. Ultimately the scalping proclamation was a response to the raids on his people and was a reactive measure.

I don't mind them putting up the history, but I do mind when it is only a selective part of the story.

Recently saw this article come up, guess not everyone is happy reading the propaganda coming out of most news outlets today.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/the-true-history-of-cornwallis-shows-hes-more-a-victim-than-a-villain

There is an interesting new CANFORGEN on military conduct and the subject of this thread.

Eaglelord17 said:
Recently saw this article come up, guess not everyone is happy reading the propaganda coming out of most news outlets today.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/the-true-history-of-cornwallis-shows-hes-more-a-victim-than-a-villain

Excellent article, thanks.

Back