• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Canadian Forces warns members affiliated with radical groups"

I was looking for it to but couldn't find it. It's not on their Facebook page either.

A counter argument from the Chronicle Herald:

Scapegoating Cornwallis: Who are we to judge history?

While conducting research for my 2012 book, Halifax and Titanic, I came across the following quote from Daniel Allen Butler, the American author of another Titanic book:

“There is something horribly hypocritical about passing judgment on another human being’s actions from the comfort and safety of an armchair. Even more hypocritical is making moral pronouncements on others’ actions having judged them by moral standards that they neither knew nor could conceive.”

More at link.

CBC.ca

Despite mass calls for "the book" to be thrown at these 5, it appears corrective measures have been taken WRT their actions.

Military personnel in Proud Boys incident return to regular duty
No criminal charges or demotions against men who harassed people at Mi’kmaq ceremony in Halifax
By Susan Bradley, CBC News  Posted: Aug 31, 2017

Four of the five Canadian Forces personnel who said they were members of the group the Proud Boys and disrupted a Mi'kmaq ceremony in Halifax on July 1 have been allowed to return to their regular duties.

"The investigation has now been completed, and no criminal charges will be laid," Rear-Admiral John Newton said in a release Thursday. The men were members of the army and navy...

More at link.

Gotta love the media.  It wasn't a Mi'kmaq ceremony.  It was a protest by a Squamish FN woman against Cornwallis for his actions against the Mi'kmaq.

But who am I to fix that factual error?  ::)

This from the Navy info-machine ...
Statement on ‘Proud Boys’ incident and consequences for members involved
Navy News / August 31, 2017

Rear-Admiral John Newton, Commander Joint Task Force Atlantic and Maritime Forces Atlantic, issued the following statement:

“On July 1, five members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) disrupted a Mi’kmaq ceremony in Halifax, displaying behaviour inconsistent with the values and ethics expected of those in uniform.  These members were relieved of their duties and re-assigned to other jobs, pending the results of a military police investigation. The investigation has now been completed, and no criminal charges will be laid. With the exception of one individual who has since left the CAF, the members are being returned to their operational units and regular duties. However, the CAF have taken appropriate measures to address individual shortcomings, with the intention of ensuring a clear understanding of expected ethical behaviours and standards of conduct within the CAF. Any further inappropriate behavior could result in their termination from the Canadian Armed Forces.”

Strike said:
Gotta love the media.  It wasn't a Mi'kmaq ceremony.  It was a protest by a Squamish FN woman against Cornwallis for his actions against the Mi'kmaq.

#LAVisNotATank

milnews.ca said:
This from the Navy info-machine ...

The bottom line caught my eye,

"Any further inappropriate behavior could result in their termination from the Canadian Armed Forces.”

mariomike said:
The bottom line caught my eye,

"Any further inappropriate behavior could result in their termination from the Canadian Armed Forces.”

Well, year, they're on C&P. Breach of that would result in an AR with recommendation for release (probably).

However, if you kept reading, the Admiral elaborated that it would still depend on what they did.

Lumber said:
Well, year, they're on C&P. Breach of that would result in an AR with recommendation for release (probably).

However, if you kept reading, the Admiral elaborated that it would still depend on what they did.

From Reply #210, the bottom line of the CAF statement,
http://www.navy-marine.forces.gc.ca/en/news-operations/news-view.page?doc=statement-on-proud-boys-incident-and-consequences-for-members-involved%2Fj6wo0dg4

Glad the witch hunt is finally over. The CAF leadership can put away its torches.

Strike said:

Strike,

It would appear that the RAdm get his info from the MSM, and not his Public Affairs Advisor, as he is quoted as calling it a "Mi'kmaq ceremony" as well!

mariomike said:
From Reply #210, the bottom line of the CAF statement,
http://www.navy-marine.forces.gc.ca/en/news-operations/news-view.page?doc=statement-on-proud-boys-incident-and-consequences-for-members-involved%2Fj6wo0dg4

Right, my bad; we're actually both right. That's the official statement. However, he spoke off the cuff to the media, and this is what he said:

"This is a permanent mark on a member's record," he said Thursday afternoon. "Any trespass against those conditions, any repeat leads to their release from the Canadian Armed Forces,  or, it's a good potential depending on those circumstances, will lead to their release."

As I thought right at the start of all this is that they went straight to C&P. This is the most severe punishment they could get because if you looked at the whole incident from a lawyers POV they did nothing that would warrant criminal charges. If they threw a punch or started a chant or did something overt they were toast. But all they had was a conversation and then walked away. Despite the bleating from the reporter who was obviously upset that these guys heads were not on a pike they are now on a very very short leash and any transgression when it comes to ethics will be immediate release. A concept obviously lost on the chattering classes.

Back