• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Reservists behind fake letter warning of wolves being released

Or even better return to the simple, easy to use and identify, unification ranks which we spent about as much time under as all the older ranks.

You mean the thin and slightly thicker lines that blend together past four feet? Whereas pips and crowns are infantry-proof.

I dunno....

I kind of like the Leafs ... the kind on the shoulder boards that is, not in the hockey rink :) ).

I find it looks a tad busy and too American.

You mean the thin and slightly thicker lines that blend together past four feet? Whereas pips and crowns are infantry-proof.

I find it looks a tad busy and too American.
All I can say is I never mistook a officer for a warrant under the old system. You see bars it doesn't matter you salute and call sir or mam. The old system worked and was often complimented by other nations for how simple and effective it was. I never heard a complaint about them other than the fact they 'aren't the pips and crowns'.

All I can say is I never mistook a officer for a warrant under the old system.

And I've never mistaken a Major for a Warrant, or vice versa, under the current system.

The old system worked

And so did the system before that, which worked for a century at that point and was used through four (4) wars and multiple UN deployments.

I have seen it happen a lot when working with our NATO allies.
Under the pips and Crown system, several years back, I was mistaken for a Warrant Officer by the kid behind the counter where I was ordering coffee. As it turned out, he was a former Army cadet and was happy to pronounce" Here's your coffee Warrant." When I explained that I was a Major, he was mortified. I felt terrible, and tried to explain that the new system fucked things up (didn't use that verbiage)

I was saluted several times while in Banja Luka as a PO1.

I guess this is a little like the old WordPerfect and MS Word debate where whatever you used first is the thing you fought to the death for.

I first started with pips albeit very briefly before having to change to rings - always hated the things - made us all look like air force. Retired just before the Army switched back. Regretted missing out on that.

Never had any problems distinguishing a warrant officer from a major when the warrants were staff sergeants. Never could understand that change either.

:unsure:

I guess this is a little like the old WordPerfect and MS Word debate where whatever you used first is the thing you fought to the death for.

I first started with pips albeit very briefly before having to change to rings - always hated the things - made us all look like air force. Retired just before the Army switched back. Regretted missing out on that.

Never had any problems distinguishing a warrant officer from a major when the warrants were staff sergeants. Never could understand that change either.

:unsure:
You just reminded me of how much I miss Word Perfect. :)

Facepalm moment reminders ;)

Leaked 'wolf letter' leaves military sheepish, internal emails show​

Troops invented fake government wolf-release program, including hoax memo​

There is now a clear explanation of what happened in the fall of 2020 when a bizarre military misstep led some Nova Scotians to fear the province had released wolves into the wild.

It began with a handful of military reservists testing psychological tactics at a weekend exercise at Camp Aldershot in the Annapolis Valley. They were trying to convince another group that there were wolves in the woods nearby.

It ended with frantic briefings sent up the chain of command to Canada's defence minister and the head of NORAD, newly released documents reveal. CBC News has obtained 1,500 pages of emails related to the incident after requesting them more than three years ago.

I am just curious as to why the head of NORAD was briefed.

I am just curious as to why the head of NORAD was briefed.
I'm guessing curiosity combined with being informed in the event some random reporter or politician askes a question.

I'm sure the CRCN is briefed on the odd "big" story coming out of the CA or RCAF, just as I imagine their respective commanders are briefed on big RCN stories.

So it was a case of a CAF mbr not having knowledge sending unverified information to an external agent.

And leaving it laying around post-ENDEX…

An interesting example of a security breach that an Int organization - above any other organization in the CAF - should never allow to occur, which should have resulted in someone losing their job IMHO...

But that's just me ;)

Bttf GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Back